Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is my first jeep and im wondering how are they in the snow?A couple of people have told me there not as good as a long wheel base 4wd.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
short wheel base and no weight in the back, yea itll slide around some, put it in 4wd and take it slow and itll do just fine ;]

·
Aka Vaultzz
5,624 Posts
A Jeep will perform the same (maybe better ;)) than a long base 4x4 but due to the short wheel base its really easy to lose control and spin, which is harder in a long base. I spun out last year and ended up almost on my side :eek: but I learned from the experience :)

You just have to stay on top of whats happening, whats in the road, and other drivers. If you don't gun it or slam the brakes and try to turn then you should be fine.

I also recommend finding a flat empty parking lot to play around in and get a feel for things (but don't go crazy and break anything ;))

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had my wrangler for the first winter last year and it wasnt bad especially in 4wd....Now that I have 33" MT's it a whole new story. Completely different.

·
Registered
772 Posts
my other vehicle is a crew cab, long bed and they are worlds apart, but once you get the feel for it you should be fine. i'd much rather be in my jeep in the snow than my wife's car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A Jeep will perform the same (maybe better ;)) than a long base 4x4 but due to the short wheel base its really easy to lose control and spin, which is harder in a long base. I spun out last year and ended up almost on my side :eek: but I learned from the experience :)

You just have to stay on top of whats happening, whats in the road, and other drivers. If you don't gun it or slam the brakes and try to turn then you should be fine.

I also recommend finding a flat empty parking lot to play around in and get a feel for things (but don't go crazy and break anything ;))
Yeah sounds good.Like you said find a empty parking lot and see how it handles.Does putting weight in the back help out any?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Make sure the local smokies arent watchin, i got a C.&R. (careless and reckless) citation a couple years ago. Apparently they call playing lol

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yeah sounds good.Like you said find a empty parking lot and see how it handles.Does putting weight in the back help out any?
I posted that exact question a couple years ago when I first got my Jeep, just before winter.

Most people replied no. Just keep the gas tank full (yeah, right) should be enough weight.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What kind of tires are you running?

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Tires will make the most difference in winter driving. I know the short wheel base has an impact, but not as much as good tires with a good amount of tread left.

·
Registered
70 Posts
doclouie said:
Tires will make the most difference in winter driving. I know the short wheel base has an impact, but not as much as good tires with a good amount of tread left.
Bingo. Tires will make all the difference. Buy a good set of all season or snow rated tires, if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have found so far this winter that the swb is the real issue, just be alert and leave space, and if you lose control don't hammer the brakes, I would take my old pickup over the jeep for driving in snow, but we are talking actually snow, not like you yanks down south getting a snow flake or two, but nothing beats a jeep for fun

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have found so far this winter that the swb is the real issue, just be alert and leave space, and if you lose control don't hammer the brakes, I would take my old pickup over the jeep for driving in snow, but we are talking actually snow, not like you yanks down south getting a snow flake or two, but nothing beats a jeep for fun
Yes. The SWB will make things go bad in a hurry when you loose traction, so take your time.
I've noticed that in deep, fairly undisturbed snow, my Jeep does great. In a few inches of snow, or packed snow, with alot of wandering ruts, the rear end wants to follow all of the ruts at the same time.

Bingo. Tires will make all the difference. Buy a good set of all season or snow rated tires, if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow.
This should be a primary concern if you deal with ice / snow regularly. Crappy tires will do you no good in these conditions. Look for good tires that are rated for snow & ice if you plan on driving in nasty weather.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Keep in mind that if you start sliding you'll want to make sure you're in gear, and not in neutral. Being in gear will help you maintain control. I have the bent front bumper from a 12 mph "collision" with a retaining wall at my office. I slid into it coming around a corner (in neutral), and probably could have done better if I was in first gear.

Like everyone has said... use the four-wheel-drive and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There isn't much out there that beats a Jeep in deep snow. I saw a video somewhere, i forget if it was on here or another site) of a crew cab pickup trying to pull out of its driveway and just spinning the tires (all four of them). And then the camera person pans over to a jeep sitting in a good 12 - 15 inches of snow. You hear the jeep start up and then it just pulls away right through all the snow. That's when you hear a kid over by the truck say, "That's why I'm getting a jeep."

But on the road with an inch or two of snow the jeep can get a little squirrelly.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Just go slow and pass all the speeding SUV's that are in the ditches because they get over confident and lose control of their 4x4's. I see it every winter and just laugh.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i have the goodyear wrangler duratracs great tire for offroading and i will see how the hold there rating for the snow

1 - 20 of 33 Posts