Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, just got my first jeep (Wrangler Sahara Unltd) and really like it. I drive to northern Ontario in the winter and was wondering if I need to get winter tires or will the new stock tires do the job. Not for off roading much but for cars I'm a fan of getting winter tires. Even in Southern Ontario I'm not so concerned about gettin' goin', more about stopping. Even a small fender bender can set you back a couple of thousand dollars so I always have winter tires for the cars. The jeep comes with Bridgestone Dueler A/T's. Does anyone here get winter gear for a jeep or is it really a waste of money with these tires. Thanks for all the help.BB

·
Registered
112 Posts
Newbie here, just got my first jeep (Wrangler Sahara Unltd) and really like it. I drive to northern Ontario in the winter and was wondering if I need to get winter tires or will the new stock tires do the job. Not for off roading much but for cars I'm a fan of getting winter tires. Even in Southern Ontario I'm not so concerned about gettin' goin', more about stopping. Even a small fender bender can set you back a couple of thousand dollars so I always have winter tires for the cars. The jeep comes with Bridgestone Dueler A/T's. Does anyone here get winter gear for a jeep or is it really a waste of money with these tires. Thanks for all the help.BB
Maybe somebody from canada can chime in, but you'll probably be OK with the A/Ts, and just carrying a set of cables for the back tires, and driving in 4WD.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You should be OK. I'm in Montreal and I know people who spent last winter with the Dueler A/T's (even if they could have gotten a ticket...). They are what I would call adequate. Biggest problem with them is they get as hard as hocky pucks when the temperature drops below -10°C. I used dedicated winter tires last year, but won't this year. I have an unlimited too; as far as stopping goes, give yourself mucho distance; even with dedicated winter tires, the JKU is heavy and requires a good stopping distance if the road is icy :)

DB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks boys, methinks I should get the winters. A couple of years ago I was going into work at about 6AM and saw 3 cars pulled over to the side of the road. I thought it was an accident but as I passed I realized "crown" of the road had forced them off the road and into the curb. Ahead of me a pickup was "pinballing" (bumping from one curb and across to the opposite curb) with his rear tires for about 150 metres down the road. I'm not sure how insurance works in the US but in Ontario the smallest dent could easily cost $2000 and most policies have a deductable of $1000. That's close to the cost of the tires so I think I'll be getting some. Again, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you're looking for winter wheels also, get 17 inch ones. Tires will be less expensive. I ran 265/70R17 tires (almost the same size as stock Sahara Dueler AT's; within 1/4").

Enjoy the Jeep!

DB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I was advised to get 255-75-17's. Now I have to tell the kids I can't feed them for a few weeks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm ordering winters for the JKU. I have found that once I had winter tires I don't want to go back, more so for ice then snow. Heck I might not even have the Jeep before the worst of winter is over but I'll be ready for next year! 255 75 17 is a perfect match for the stock 18's on the Sahara kinda limited choice in that size thou.

·
Registered
72 Posts
just to follow up on this thread.. i was going to ask the same thing as i felt my jeep sliding around a bit with our first snow fall :S
is there anything you guys can recommend?

i was driving a silly little sunbird for 10 years (got it when i was 16 haha!) and just bought my Sahara!!! loving it soo much =) but the car was pretty simple to get tires for, went for the cheapest available haha

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am kinda surprised no one has mentioned just getting DuraTracs and running them year-round ( and sell your stocks). Most owners swear by them in the snow and ice. Planning on getting a set myself for New England winters.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I swap to Duratracs in the winter (snow/ice) and go back to the stock tires for the other 3 seasons. Just get an inexpensive set of takeoffs (everywhere on CL, or in the For Sale sec tion here)

Bought 3 sets of Duratracs this week. We drive a lot, so an extra set of tires per vehicle is just an up front cost, we'll use the rubber eventually.

One Jk has GY Silent Armors, another good tire.

Blizzaks are top rated, just a soft rubber than doesn't last as long.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got some Michelin X-Ice tires, 265-75-16's for my Sahara Unltd. Yes they are 16" but the guy at the shop insists they've used them before for the Sahara's, I hope he didn't pull one over on me. They are HUGE, visually. I was going to have them mounted on the Jeep because I'm heading up to North Bay (Ontario) and it can get very cold and snowy up there. Mom Nature fooled me though as the temp for the next week is suppose to go up to 10-12 degrees(Celcius) so I just brought them home and will mount them in early December. I hope I did the right thing, the garage guy says I got the "best of the best". He got the best of my $ so I hope he's correct.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Size wise you purchased 32/1050r16.. perfect size as now not too wide and tall with sticky tread. No worries but a two inch lift wouldn't hurt as its a tight fit without it

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure what tire sizes are available for the JKs but I run the GY Duratracs in the winter studded and they perform flawlessly, the stopping power and control factor leave one with confidence.

315 75R16

Now I'm curious how big in size the BS Blizzaks come. I'm about to buy a set for my AWD Toyota but it sure would be cool to own a set of 315's for the rig (very happy with my GY's tho).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bbush, you're lucky you can use studs. They were banned in Ontario decades ago but I think they would solve a lot of accidents. Still to warm to put them on the Jeep. Just got back from camp. The trail in was under a lot of mud and was very rough. Put it in 4WD High and had no problem driving in. I thought I'd have to put it in LOW but it wasn't required. I've never had a Jeep before and was REALLY happy with the drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts