Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted to put the jeep in 4hi, but i went too far and went into N. After that i wasnt able to put the 4wd shifter into anything. i was only able to put it into 4lo if i tried hard enough. i thought i engaged it in 4lo and started to drive a bit, then it immediately popped out of gear. after that i was able to get it back into 2wd and try again for 4hi.

what happened?

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
is it auto or standard tranny? were you moving when you sifted? on dry pavement?

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
There's an entire section of your manual devoted to 4WD. Read it carefully, then try again. There's not much to screw up putting it in 4H. Grab the lever and pull it straight back. Done. How you missed that and made it to neutral is beyond me. Just nice and easy and pull it back, it should move easily.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's an entire section of your manual devoted to 4WD. Read it carefully, then try again. There's not much to screw up putting it in 4H. Grab the lever and pull it straight back. Done. How you missed that and made it to neutral is beyond me. Just nice and easy and pull it back, it should move easily.
The neutral Im talking about is the one on the 4wd shifter. It isnt hard to overshoot it. and ive read the whole thing. It says nothing about getting locked out of gear.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
That's what I was talking about as well. You need to go past 4H and pull it to the right to get it into neutral. There should be no "overshooting". It's a short straight pull.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I was talking about as well. You need to go past 4H and pull it to the right to get it into neutral. There should be no "overshooting". It's a short straight pull.
common dude. I know that. what im trying to say is I made a stupid and went to far and got locked out.

This is not the first time I was locked out. I was out on the beach a few weeks back, cruising in 4LO. I needed to go faster where i was, so I needed 4H. It would not let me get into 4H. I eventually figured it out. I had to throw it into reverse in 4L and go back a few feet. after that it let me back into 4H.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
If you know that then it shouldn't be an issue. You're the one who posted wanting to know what went wrong. Now you are posting a different scenario. Going from 4L to 4H is different. I would suggest it would be better to go from 4L to 2WD, then to 4H.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
As Daggo mentioned, you probably just hit that place in shifting where you have to push it to the right "like going into reverse" to get it to pull back into 4L. Practice makes perrrfect.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As Daggo mentioned, you probably just hit that place in shifting where you have to push it to the right "like going into reverse" to get it to pull back into 4L. Practice makes perrrfect.
yeah I guess so. all I care about is that there is nothing wrong. Ill make sure to be more careful next time.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The '12 transfer case shifters can be a bit difficult. I often can't get it to go into 4hi from 2hi, it just won't move. I'm thinking with more use it might get better. My last JK shifted flawlessly.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
yeah I guess so. all I care about is that there is nothing wrong. Ill make sure to be more careful next time.
There's nothing wrong except as you said, operator error. Just practice a bit utilizing 4H first. 4L can be a bit tricky sometimes. Most times it goes in better if you're rolling about 2-3 mph. I also agree about going from 4L to 2H then to 4H. You'll know if something is wrong if you break the 35 cent, or it might be 70 cents don't recall, clip shifting around between the transfer case. I keep a few of them in my console. I haven't broken one yet but you might want to consider it since you are actively utilizing the transfer case.

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
Not to :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: but a few of you say to go from 4Lo to 2Hi then 4Hi but I think what the op is saying is that he cant even get it past neutral, which he would have to do in order to get it into 2Hi and 4Hi for that matter.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not to :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: but a few of you say to go from 4Lo to 2Hi then 4Hi but I think what the op is saying is that he cant even get it past neutral, which he would have to do in order to get it into 2Hi and 4Hi for that matter.
thats in fact exactly what i was trying to say. thank you.

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
You may have an issue, I would talk to the dealer or your favorite shop. Sorry I can't help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts