Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backside to the story... sonw as hit by a woman who ran a red light at 60mph. Jeep was about 6 months old and was totaled. He walked away without a scratch. The woman who hit him, never said a word to him or us once we arrived at the accident. Our insurance has taken care of everything. We paid our deductible. They paid off our FCA loan. Bought a new JKU and moving on.

Received a letter today from our insurers attorney that the woman who hit us insurance company has stopped returning calls, emails, etc. They are now filing suit in court against her and her insurance company. They simply have zero desire to do the right thing.

We are due our deductible and our insurer the remainder of the accident.

Mind you, a police officer witnessed the accident.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Sorry, about the accident. But, I'm confused.

How is the other person liable for your deductible and isn't the insurance company on the hook for the rest no matter what?

I mean, that's what you pay them for, right?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Sorry, about the accident. But, I'm confused.

How is the other person liable for your deductible and isn't the insurance company on the hook for the rest no matter what?

I mean, that's what you pay them for, right?
If she was at fault, her insurance company should have paid for everything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It will take a few months but they will get your deductible for you. Had the same issue a couple years back took 10 months to get everything settled. Incognito usually if the accident is the other drivers fault your insurance company pays for your damage and you cover the deductible. Then your insurance receives the funds from the at fault driver's insurance company and reimburses you for the deductible. But usually the insurance companies like to haggle and say it is not their clients fault

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think your son may find some "residual" back pain from the accident..... develop a limp..... go see some DR's..... send the bills to the insurance company of the woman who hit him and ask for some pain and suffering.... see how fast they want to settle THEN!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Backside to the story... sonw as hit by a woman who ran a red light at 60mph. Jeep was about 6 months old and was totaled. He walked away without a scratch. The woman who hit him, never said a word to him or us once we arrived at the accident. Our insurance has taken care of everything. We paid our deductible. They paid off our FCA loan. Bought a new JKU and moving on.

Received a letter today from our insurers attorney that the woman who hit us insurance company has stopped returning calls, emails, etc. They are now filing suit in court against her and her insurance company. They simply have zero desire to do the right thing.

We are due our deductible and our insurer the remainder of the accident.

Mind you, a police officer witnessed the accident.
I feel your pain! Same situation here...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/i-dont-think-this-will-buff-out-1867089.html

My accident happened October 6th of last year, and I just received a check from her insurance company last Saturday for my out of pocket expenses. In my case, her insurance company fought liability until the highway patrol report was received. Then their attitude changed. Of course what also helped is I retained an attorney because I did sustain some injuries.

My problem is/was she had the minimum limits. So when my insurance company went after hers for subrogation, there wasn't enough to cover everything. My insurance company is taking the hit for the difference between what they paid me for my Jeep and what they were reimbursed.

On the medical side, I'm having to claim against my own "Uninsured/Under Insured" policy because again her limits were so low. 6 months and we are still waiting for the final settlement. We are very close though, and I have high hopes we can get this wrapped up this month. My mods are waiting for it...

John

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Dumb question, but if she was clearly at fault, why did you even get charged a deductible? Here in MASS, you would have not had to pay anything.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Most insurance companies regardless of state will make you pay the deductible if you want to move forward with repairs or replacement before the insurance company for the person at fault accepts liability and agrees to pay. Once liability is accepted your insurance company will refund your deductible.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No matter the situation, in most every state:

- Accident occurs
- Fault is found (not always this early, sometimes much later)
- Total loss determined (% of repairs greater than threshold to determine total loss)
- Payments made (by my insurer) to my interests (in my case, Chrysler) minus my deductible
- At fault insurer reimburses other party for all costs, including my deductible

In this case, they have reimbursed some to my insurer (mind you my loan is paid off) but not to the total found by an subrigator for my insurance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dealing with insurance is never a fun process. Had the same situation (accident not nearly as bad), where someone backed into me in a parking lot. Lady refused to speak to her insurance. It took almost a year to get my deductible back on repairs.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm still waiting for my deductible from my June 24, 2016 accident. I'm not holding my breath though. Guy was barely insurable as it was. Just happy everything else was covered.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
When involved in an accident, I have found that 3 things ALWAYS tend suck.
1. Dealing with the insurance companies.
2. The other people involved. They lie to try and manipulate things to be in their best interest.
3. Police officers. They don't care, they just want to write a report, write as many tickets as they can think "could" have occurred and be done with it, and let any judgement calls be handle in the courts by a judge.

Good luck, I've been there. I've been screwed 3 times on recouping my deductible when I wasn't at fault. Ask Progressive, how they can't recoup your deductible from the other insurance company, when the other driver was driving an uninsured vehicle and then that now becomes your responsibility and not the insurance companies when it's written in their policy, "You will not be responsible for your deductible if you are determined to not be at fault."

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I'm still waiting for my deductible from my June 24, 2016 accident. I'm not holding my breath though. Guy was barely insurable as it was. Just happy everything else was covered.
Yep. We should all notice one major theme here in this discussion. The insurance companies will make sure the other corporate entities get paid, but the customer actually paying the insurance bill is last on their list of concerns.

For instance with the OP, the insurance made damn well certain Chrysler financial was paid off and promptly. Why? Because they know those corporations have pockets deep enough to get legal representation involved who can ensure their best interests are taken care of and will additionally make sure they get reimbursed for their legal fees on top of the settlement payment. Where Joe Smoe like you and me, they will neglect and say, tough luck. "Oh sorry, we weren't able to recoup your deductible amount from the other insurance company, we'll continue to try." They should be paying you out of their pockets just as quickly and if they're unable to collect from the other insurance, then that burden of recouping should be falling on them and not you and I.

F!!!! Insurance companies, biggest crooks on this planet!!!

A $500 deductible doesn't seem like a lot to you and I, on an individual basis. However, if they pull that same sh*t on 10,000 claims over the course of a year, then they just saved themselves $5MIL. You can count on, the numbers are likely higher than that as well.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yep. We should all notice one major theme here in this discussion. The insurance companies will make sure the other corporate entities get paid, but the customer actually paying the insurance bill is last on their list of concerns.
Actually I had just the opposite experience with my insurance company. When the subrogation department from State Farm (my carrier) called ME, they stated that the other party had the minimum coverage limits, but that they, State Farm, would make sure my deductible and other out of pocket costs (my portion of the rental car cost for example) would be reimbursed and that they would take the hit between what they paid out for my Jeep and what her insurance company (GEICO) reimbursed them. Last Saturday I received just that... A check for my deductible and rental car costs, in full.

John

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Actually I had just the opposite experience with my insurance company. When the subrogation department from State Farm (my carrier) called ME, they stated that the other party had the minimum coverage limits, but that they, State Farm, would make sure my deductible and other out of pocket costs (my portion of the rental car cost for example) would be reimbursed and that they would take the hit between what they paid out for my Jeep and what her insurance company (GEICO) reimbursed them. Last Saturday I received just that... A check for my deductible and rental car costs, in full.

John
State Farm vs. screw you anyway they can Progressive.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I totaled my 20 year old Jeep Cherokee back in 2010 when I accidentally turned left in front of an oncoming vehicle that may or may not have been speeding. She hit me in my right rear fender. I then in turned dinged a pickup truck, who was waiting to pull out, with my left rear fender. Damage was relatively minor. I pulled over, hopped out, and was relieved to confirm that no one was hurt. I apologized all the way around, just didn't see her coming. It was apparent that had she moved over to her left another two feet then she would have missed me but hey, it was my fault so I didn't whine about it.

The guy in the pickup truck didn't want to bother with a claim and split. The woman who hit me suffered some body damage to the front passenger side of her car but the hood was ok and the headlight wasn't broken. We exchanged info and she drove home. My damage wasn't that bad, but the Jeep was 20 years old and worth less than the tires on it so I sold it for scrap and eventually bought a 2007 used JK.

The woman called me a few days later needing more insurance info. We had a very pleasant conversation. I again apologized for ruining her day. She was very gracious, said no big deal, just a fender bender. I again asked her if she was ok, and she assured me that she was fine.

Almost a year later, she sued me for a million dollars, along with another lady with whom she had been in a previous accident for another million. I was astounded to see that she was claiming that a) I was driving like a maniac and b) she had suffered all manner of horrible injuries. Total BS. This touched off an endless round of "You Must Cooperate Or We Won't Cover You," letters from my insurance company, State Farm, meetings with an assigned attorney, a deposition and a series of trial dates. Finally, after about a year of this, I was notified that the case was headed for binding arbitration.

About two weeks before the arbitration, I just happened to park right next to the same woman in a grocery store parking lot. As I pulled in, she walked up with a cart full of groceries and was carrying a baby on her chest (my lawyer told me after depositions that she had since gotten pregnant, father unknown, and lost her job for stealing, and she had "other problems that they could't go into"). She didn't recognize me in my Wrangler. I sat and watched as she loaded the baby and groceries into the car without the slightest hint of pain or disability. She then backed out, and I saw that she hadn't even bothered to have her body damage repaired. How you can suffer a million dollars worth of pain and suffering and injuries and not even need to have your car repaired is beyond me. You would think it should have at least caught on fire if not been blown up to smithereens.

Case settled at arbitration. I was told I didn't need to be there, but the lawyer told me afterwards that I paid 1/3rd and the other lady paid 2/3rds of the settlement. A very ugly chapter in my life had finally closed. If I ever see that woman again, well, best not to go there.

The American Way.

·
Registered
32 Posts

For instance with the OP, the insurance made damn well certain Chrysler financial was paid off and promptly. Why? Because they know those corporations have pockets deep enough to get legal representation involved who can ensure their best interests are taken care of and will additionally make sure they get reimbursed for their legal fees on top of the settlement payment. Where Joe Smoe like you and me, they will neglect and say, tough luck. "Oh sorry, we weren't able to recoup your deductible amount from the other insurance company, we'll continue to try." They should be paying you out of their pockets just as quickly and if they're unable to collect from the other insurance, then that burden of recouping should be falling on them and not you and I.

F!!!! Insurance companies, biggest crooks on this planet!!!

A $500 deductible doesn't seem like a lot to you and I, on an individual basis. However, if they pull that same sh*t on 10,000 claims over the course of a year, then they just saved themselves $5MIL. You can count on, the numbers are likely higher than that as well.
When you finance a vehicle, the finance company is the primary payee on the policy to ensure that they get the money they are legally entitled to. Not a corporate conspiracy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts