Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent the past 6 hours under/around my Jeep. I was *hoping* to change the diff fluid, the tranny fluid, the transfer case fluid and to change the plugs.

After 6 hours, the rear diff is done and one plug. Yep. That's it. I canNOT get the bolts on the tranny or front diff to budge and was only able to convince one plug to come out. I'm just not strong enough. :mad:

I tried extending the wrench to give me more leverage and still nuthin.

I'm tired, I'm dirty and I'm so discouraged I could cry.

I'm hoping my husband can break them loose so I can try again tomorrow, otherwise, I guess it's off to the shop I go. :(

Thanks for listening to me bitch and moan.

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
You can do it. Start again fresh tomorrow when you're not discouraged. Breaker bar and a new day will get them off like budda.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Don't worry it happens to the best of us. There's times when I work on a bolt for several minutes, get pissed at it and give it a good cussing before it finally works loose for me, and I'm a good sized boy.

Best thing to get and use as a breaker bar is either a length of tube that will fit over your wrench or the handle of a Hi-Lift jack works very well.

Don't give up on it. Just get even. :D

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Im not gonna lie. I am fat, but strong. To be exact I am 6'0 265 lbs and I run, do push ups/situps etc. atleast 4 times a week. I worked as a technician in shops, dealerships, even Automotive Restoration (old classic car restoration) for a few years. There have been PLENTY of times when I have a breaker bar on a bolt and it just wont go no matter what. Squirt it with PB blaster and beat it with a hammer and still nothing, wont go anywhere. Either I walk away and it breaks loose as soon as I touch it again or someone else comes over and makes it look easy. Point is, it happens to everyone, even guys that have been in the business forever. Get ya a breaker bar or a pipe, some PB blaster or some other kind of break free, and give it another go when your calm. If you still cant get it, ask your hubby, he may make it look easy but atleast it gets done. Just dont keep at it while your angry. Your either gonna break something, or end up really hurting yourself putting all your strenght into it and ending up punching something sharp :p

good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:

Hubby was able to break them all free tonight. He was also kind enough to stop there so I could complete the job (he tends to want to "help" till there's nothing left for me to do LOL! :rolleyes: ). So, tomorrow a.m. I get to finish what I started! :D Now, just pray my gaskets on the diff don't leak. ;)

Thanks for the votes of confidence!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Don't sweat it. I once worked on one control arm bolt for two days before I finally got it to give.

·
Registered
514 Posts
UPDATE:

Hubby was able to break them all free tonight. He was also kind enough to stop there so I could complete the job (he tends to want to "help" till there's nothing left for me to do LOL! :rolleyes: ). So, tomorrow a.m. I get to finish what I started! :D Now, just pray my gaskets on the diff don't leak. ;)

Thanks for the votes of confidence!
Congratulations! By gaskets I am hoping you either mean silicone RTV (my preference) or lubelockers? Don't use paper gaskets, they usually do leak.

·
Registered
466 Posts
good luck gettin it all back together and just remember leverage is your best friend. get a breaker bar and a piece of pipe that fits snugly over it to give you a little more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts