Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i just upgraded my suspension to rancho rs9000xl i havent installed them yet but from what i read they seem to have good reviews

my question now is about a steering stabilizer.

should i stick with rancho ?? like the rs7000mt?? or go with rough countrys dual stabilizer??

if anyone has anythoughts that be great thanks

ps i have a 05 tj 4in lift run 33x12.5 bfg's

thanks!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've got a Rancho and it does the job just fine for 35's and Currie steering. I would not do an RC shift knob, let alone a steering stabilizer. BTW the rs7000mt is the part number for their monotube shocks...

·
Registered
16,248 Posts
Old man emu

Or the beefier mopar

·
Registered
316 Posts
Like a 5407 or something along those lines I think.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You were correct. Rancho MS7000RT is their new unit. They still have the older 5000 series units as well. Avoid a dual set-up from any mfg.
Yup. The Mt is a shock, the Rt is a stabilizer.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
my question now is about a steering stabilizer.

should i stick with rancho ?? like the rs7000mt?? or go with rough countrys dual stabilizer??
oh my mistake lol

so what is the rancho model?

You were correct. Rancho MS7000RT is their new unit. They still have the older 5000 series units as well. Avoid a dual set-up from any mfg.

I suffered from a bad case of temporary dyslexia. It is RS7000MT.

Yup. The Mt is a shock, the Rt is a stabilizer.

I think the MT denotes mono tube.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think the MT denotes mono tube.
Yup. Upon further research it appears I was looking at a mysteriously confusing webpage. I saw this. Weird for the same part number to lead to two different parts...I guess it's more of a series designation than a part number.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
A. stay away from "dual" steering stabilizers........worthless.

B. You can overpay for an OME generic twin tube steering stabilizer, but not worth the money IMO......Ive seen too many replaced due to blown seals. Its light duty.

C. Look at Skyjacker's M series nitrogen stabilizer. Its a large monotube design. Large bore, large hardened shaft and uses a much better protective shock boot vs. a typical metal dust can.

OME nitrocharger shocks and stabilizers are great for those rigs which are mostly DD's, but for rigs that are going to be used more than once a month or season off roading look for something more rugged/built better.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
You can overpay for an OME generic twin tube steering stabilizer, but not worth the money IMO......Ive seen too many replaced due to blown seals. Its light duty.

OME nitrocharger shocks and stabilizers are great for those rigs which are mostly DD's, but for rigs that are going to be used more than once a month or season off roading look for something more rugged/built better.

·
Registered
441 Posts
bilstein ...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,383 Posts
I would go with a standard hydraulic steering stabilizer/damper, like from Rancho, Monroe, etc. Gas-charged steering dampers can actually make the steering drift towards the driver's side since gas-charged shocks are always trying to expand/push outward.

Most any aftermarket hydraulic steering stabilizer is fine, they are all pretty much made by the same couple shock manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I would go with a standard hydraulic steering stabilizer/damper, like from Rancho, Monroe, etc. Gas-charged steering dampers can actually make the steering drift towards the driver's side since gas-charged shocks are always trying to expand/push outward.

Most any aftermarket hydraulic steering stabilizer is fine, they are all pretty much made by the same couple shock manufacturers.
Your assuming a high pressure gas charge. I don't know of ANY companies that mfg. a steering stabilizer for a Jeep that uses high pressure nitrogen. The nitrogen charge in the Skyjacker is not a high pressure charge. Just like all Jeep stabilizers the damping force is the SAME in both directions.

Just like with shocks though, I would recommend a stabilizer that is mono tube based if any significant amount of off roading is going to be done with the rig. Twin tubes don't belong on vehicles that spend significant time off road IMO.

Ive blown out 2 twin tube Monroe stabilizers and an OME unit that lasted 3 months.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I actually just purchased and installed the Rancho RS7000mt Stabilizer. It does tend to push the steering to the driver's side. It is very annoying.

Interestingly, the link above to the shock (RS7000MT) post by Unlimited, contains a diagram of features. One of them says, "High pressure nitrogen gas charge - (270-300 lbs)".

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I actually just purchased and installed the Rancho RS7000mt Stabilizer. It does tend to push the steering to the driver's side. It is very annoying.

Interestingly, the link above to the shock (RS7000MT) post by Unlimited, contains a diagram of features. One of them says, "High pressure nitrogen gas charge - (270-300 lbs)".
Advertising typo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts