Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a used jeep for 5,000 or under. I was wondering what is the best thing to look for in my price range, I do not want a cherokee or anything like that just a Wrangler that has 4x4. It will be mainly used for driving on trails out in Prescott AZ area just something to get me over rough terrain since my Prius has taken a beating out there lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

ebay usually has some and there are a couple local craigslist options:

prescott cars & trucks classifieds "jeep wrangler" - craigslist

old wranglers seem pricey in AZ...
Thank you

I have been looking on Craigslist, but the thing is I have no idea what is a good buy and what is not, the prices are just all over the place it seems like. Yes, I do agree they seem pricey for what you get out here... lots of trails and stuff out here though so maybe that's why?

we like the red one, but we have no clue about pricing on these things for example 4500 could net you anywhere from a 70s model to a 90s model it appears. We are going to be using it for going out trails and up in the mountains when we go shooting and hiking and stuff like that, but also maybe to drive around daily as well.
http://prescott.craigslist.org/cto/4436406599.html
http://prescott.craigslist.org/rvs/4449752403.html

would it be worth my time to look at other states and have it shipped to me, since you say they seem pricey here?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
You are looking for a 94-95 YJ with 4.0 EFI or a 96 or newer TJ.

Best to find an unmolested Jeep to start with so pure stock is better. You will not be buying someone else's nightmare.

Stay with desert Jeeps no rust.

You can find some that have been towed by motor homes have to look maybe as far as LA but better prices that way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are looking for a 94-95 YJ with 4.0 EFI or a 96 or newer TJ.

Best to find an unmolested Jeep to start with so pure stock is better. You will not be buying someone else's nightmare.

Stay with desert Jeeps no rust.

You can find some that have been towed by motor homes have to look maybe as far as LA but better prices that way.
So only look at years 94-95 or 96 or newer? Also the two letter monikers like YJ CJ ect are denoting a certain production from years x to x? from what I understand right? if it matters the average elevation up here is around 5,000 ft above sea level but i do travel to sea level as well

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You want a 91-95 YJ with the 4.0 or a 97-06 TJ with the 4.0. In your price range I seriously doubt you will find a TJ.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are either of these jeeps worth looking at based on the info provided? I really want a jeep, but I really want to make an informed decision before just jump in and buy something that has a 4 liter and looks nice...

95 Jeep Wrnagler YJ
Jeep Wrangler
1989 Jeep YJ Wrangler

by the way thank you all for the input, not sure if this was the right section to post all this. As you can tell this would be the first time I've ever looked at buying a Jeep so sorry If I am asking a lot of questions

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
how good are you with a wrench? in your situation I would be going I6 YJ because they are cheap and easy to mod/work on or a late model 4 banger tj. if you drive a prius the thing being a powerless slug shouldn't be anything new. you understand these things burn gas.... lots and lots of gas right?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You might find a stock TJ. Depends on where you are and all that. If you're willing to bump up the offer to around $6k, you'd probably find a decent stock TJ with reasonable miles. I agree, go stock. don't pay from upgraded you might not want that might have been half-assed. Headache waiting to happen. At most, wheels and tires, maybe a budget boost but stay away from big lifts, axle swaps, stuff like that.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Are either of these jeeps worth looking at based on the info provided? I really want a jeep, but I really want to make an informed decision before just jump in and buy something that has a 4 liter and looks nice...

95 Jeep Wrnagler YJ
Jeep Wrangler
1989 Jeep YJ Wrangler

by the way thank you all for the input, not sure if this was the right section to post all this. As you can tell this would be the first time I've ever looked at buying a Jeep so sorry If I am asking a lot of questions
Out of those, the stock 95 looks pretty good

Just a heads up:
87-90 YJs with a 4.2 are carburated
91-95 YJs with 4.0 are fuel injected
all four cylinders are fuel injected

all TJs 97-06 are fuel injected

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeep wrangler 94

OK I will stop bothering you guys with these links, I went and looked at the above jeep today and test drove it it seemed to drive fine (but I've never driven a jeep), there was a some rust on the underside, but it didn't look like a lot. It did seem to take a while to stop I had to floor the breaks almost to get decent stopping power, but that could be because I'm used to driving a new vehicle? He has receipts for the transmission and lift install. I asked him flat out what his bottom line was he said he paid 5,000 for it a year ago in its stock form and had the engine tuned, a new transmission put in and the lift put on it as well as the thingys you lube on the frame so its less squeaky and he was looking to get what he paid originally for the jeep alone not the new transmission and stuff which he said was 1800 just for the transmission. What do you guys think should we go for it I am no mechanic so I don't know stuff to look for and all that. If we do go for it I figured I would possibly offer him 4800 and see what he says (if you guys think that sounds good should I double check my back and take it to a mechanic and see what they think as well?)

·
Administrator
42,613 Posts
Well, you can never plan on selling a vehicle based on add-ons. The KBB for the stock vehicle in your area is $3,292 so that is a basis for your estimate. Now, that being said, with his add-ons, I can understand him wanting more. IMO and not being able to see or drive the Jeep, $5000 may not be a bad price.
The brake problem you mentioned is something major though. It doesn't matter if the Jeep is old or new, the brakes should stop the vehicle well. Heck, I have a 71 year-old Jeep with 4-wheel drum brakes and it stops well. Maybe use that as a barganing chip and find out how much a local shop would charge for a full brake job and system check.
All that being said, maybe ask if you can take it to a mechanic to have it checked out. If the vehicke is sound he shouldn't have any objections.

Well, that was my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Without seeing it from what you say it seems like 5k is a fair price. expect to put money into the brakes especially if you don't know how to fix them yourself. I would definitely recommend having a mechanic check it out since you said you don't know much about them. Greasing the zerc fittings is basic maintenance not a selling feature. The seller is trying to upsell the vehicle. Might not be a bad deal just be careful. If it checks out with a mechanic and you are ok with needing brake work. 5k seems ok. Not a great deal but a fair deal. Rust scares me but its REALLY hard to find a yj or even a tj that's rust free

1 - 15 of 15 Posts