Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did it.

For the first time, I walked up to a complete stranger and his Jeep and started talking about it with him. I read comments about parking lot conversations, but thought, "No, that will never be me. That is what the Internet is for." Tonight, I came out of Sheetz, and at the next pump over (Imagine that, two Jeeps filling up at the same time. What are the odds? 60, 70%?) I see a copperhead JKU with a nice bumper, color-matched shackles and these LED lights embedded into the front fender flares.

My son gets in our Jeep and I tell him I'll be right back. He has a pack of Swedish fish, so he is good with that.

I ask the guy if he could tell me about those lights. Did he install them? Did he make them? Are they a kit? He was excited to tell me all about them, how easy they went it, how it is his wife's Jeep so he made her cut the fenders, but he did the rest. His wife gets out and tells me the brand.

Then, they ask if I was just at the karate dojo down the street. I was. They explain that they used to go there, that they noticed my Jeep when they drove past going the other way, and when they pulled in they commented that mine was the Willys from the dojo. That was when I decided it wasn't weird at all.

This Jeep thing just keeps getting better.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, http://www.rostra.com/jeep-wrangler-led-lights-drl.php. They are super cool, but $250 on Amazon is a little steep right now, at least until that mod bug fully takes hold.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
The other day a 52-year-old guy (me) had a 10 minutes conversation at a gas station with a 26-years-old dude over his Jeep's lift, and it wasn't weird at all.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I noticed a new 2015 JKUR in our company parking lot. Temporary dealer plate expiring a few days before mine so we both bought ours over the Christmas break. A couple weeks later he's sitting in his JKUR and I knocked on his window and we started talking.

Oddly enough we're in different departments but he sits just a few doors down from my office.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Good job!! Next thing you know you will be walking up to anybody in a jeep and parking by jeeps in all of the parking lots :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Lol I came out of a wawa tonight to find people parked beside me. They were waiting for me to come out so they could ask about my lift and talk jeep stuff since they just got a new jk

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good job!! Next thing you know you will be walking up to anybody in a jeep and parking by jeeps in all of the parking lots :)
Oh, I wave and park by other Jeeps all the time, but walking up to a stranger involves a little leap of faith that they also see their vehicle as a Jeep and not just a car.

I am still sure, though, it had been the wife pumping the gas I would not have approached her. I am not willing to be that creepy guy with a wedding ring that strikes up conversations with women at the gas station.

I forgot to mention, when I got back in my Jeep, my son practically threw his Swedish Fish at me in his frustration at being unable to get the package open.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
As much gas as Jeeps use, it doesn't really seem that uncommon that there would be more than one getting gas if you think about it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I get into conversations with other jeepers all the time. I get a lot more questions from others who have all sorts of crazy ideas and heard "myths" about jeeps. they usually walk away even more interested and wanting one!

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Shocking. Like minded individuals and/or sharing common interests striking up conversations in the wild! Who would have known?!

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I'm the paranoid type, and assume that any stranger that comes over to tell me how great my Jeep is, is about to punch me in the face, and steal it. :blackeye

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I'm not trying to be antisocial, but when it takes me an hour to an hour and a half to get away from the store with a gallon of milk........ I've had everyone from little kids at the grade school to an 87 year old lady approach me wanting to talk. The 87 year old got my contact info for my dealer and was more than a little serious. I love to talk too but WOW! With the top off and the pipe doors on in warm weather it's even worse. Guess I'll just have to deal with it. :wavey:

·
Registered
451 Posts
It does get a tid awkward when you do not drive a Jeep yourself lol. But people are happy to convince you that you should! I got the idea that there aren't a lot of people driving a Jeep without having some special feelings for it... It's like starting to talk about dogs with somebody walking his dog, right?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts