Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the jeep to the eye doctors and didn't look at the weather. Needless to say as I'm sitting there getting my eyes dilated my son that sitting out in the waiting room texts me and says "dad it's raining". From what I'm guessing my wife, son, and daughter must of forgot I drove the jeep for a few mins before realizing what was going on. I ran outside and folded the back seat up, moved the fronts up close to the dash and folding them forward, and located as many drain plugs that I could and popped them out. I was pissed but couldn't do anything but shake my head and laugh. The ladies in the Dr. office had a good laugh on my behalf. I did happen to have a super absorber so immediately started soaking up the inch of water that was in the back floorboard. All and all I was pleased with how fast it dried out. I took the back carpet and seat out when I got home and let them air dry in the sun and laid the front seats back to air dry. I guess you live and you learn. Price I pay for not taking my cover that's sitting in the box unopened.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm sure this will eventually happen to my new Jeep because I plan on running topless and doorless here in Texas quite a bit once this damn weather cools down a little, right now 100+ daily, no thanks.

·
For The Horde!
77 Posts
Similar occurance for me last week. I left my back windows off two weeks ago during a rain storm, toweled the back but completely forgot the tire iron/jack well. a week later I go to grab it and the well has 2 inches of water in there. little bit of rust on the tire iron as well as mildew on the case tire iron case. jack looks clean though.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
And then you discovered it wasn't raining at all ...

And then you discovered it wasn't raining at all because you couldn't see clearly ; it was merely the water truck spraying down the streets with big sprayers on the right side of the water truck . :bop:

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Won't be your last.... Make sure you open everything (console, glove box, tray in back under the carpet, area where your jack is, etc.
The water will be in places you can't imagine.

It dries.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm pretty anal about rain when my top is down, shouldn't be here in Ft. Worth, Texas but as of today we are over 5" in rain for the year. I mainly purchased my new Willys with just the Premium Soft Top just for this reason, I would always have the complete top with me if it rains. I have found that most of the time when I open the top it's just the front part and the rear zip out rear window. I'm pretty happy with that arrangement, gives me the open air feeling. Everyone has a different opinion on their top being on or off, all are correct if it doesn't rain.

trainman

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I picked up a weather app that gives an alert when rain is near my location. It gives all kinds of alerts that you can customize and control with combinations based on intensity, chance, and distance.

I set my main rain alert as, if there is active falling rain that rates stronger than 2 (on a 10 scale) within 25km, I get an alert. That acts as a reminder to check the weather and decide what to do. That is usually an early enough heads-up, and I can decide according to my schedule.

I set another for, >30% chance within 10km. That tells me to stick my head out of a window and decide.

I also set an alert for anything that results in a >50% chance of rain within 5km (≈3mi). That means drop what you're doing, get your ass up, and go to the Jeep.

I paid for the pro version and it has saved me a few headaches.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm guessing you take your soft top all the way off or only have a hard top?
I have a hard top. Been looking for at least a solid bikini top that is waterproof but I haven't had any luck yet. Seems like people complain about the tops flapping in the wind, coming loose etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I picked up a weather app that gives an alert when rain is near my location. It gives all kinds of alerts that you can customize and control with combinations based on intensity, chance, and distance.

I set my main rain alert as, if there is active falling rain that rates stronger than 2 (on a 10 scale) within 25km, I get an alert. That acts as a reminder to check the weather and decide what to do. That is usually an early enough heads-up, and I can decide according to my schedule.

I set another for, >30% chance within 10km. That tells me to stick my head out of a window and decide.

I also set an alert for anything that results in a >50% chance of rain within 5km (≈3mi). That means drop what you're doing, get your ass up, and go to the Jeep.

I paid for the pro version and it has saved me a few headaches.
Sounds great. What app?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I'd say check craigslist in the fall and winter near your largest city. You can pickup a soft top for under $500, guaranteed. Then next spring swap tops and roll with a soft top until the weather changes back to cold and crappy.

Riding without any top at all in a place that has weather that switches is a setup for failure.

Sounds great. What app?
Rain Alarm Pro, I use an Android phone, but I'd wager a guess it's on Apple as well. They have a free version and a paid version. I used the free version, but I knew immediately it was worth $5 for the pro version.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Click bait? Not sure this classifies as a "huge" mistake.

Reactions: old8tora

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I remember the first time I got caught naked in the rain - I wasn't happy.
Now, I just get wet.

I use weatherbug and look at radar.... pretty simple yet effective.
No "alarms" but radar is pretty predictive (west to east) here it comes.
It helps I have flexibility to go/leave/etc when I want....

Just remember it's only water... we were born in it, drink it, use it to wash ourselves as well as our Jeeps.
About the only thing(s) I cover are the clockspring (center of steering wheel) and the center stack (radio and switches)

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Rain Alarm Pro, I use an Android phone, but I'd wager a guess it's on Apple as well. They have a free version and a paid version. I used the free version, but I knew immediately it was worth $5 for the pro version.
Thanks. I'll check it out. I do have iOS, but know many apps are on both. Who is the developer? Carlos Aviles Software is who I see on iOS on my initial search.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I remember the first time I got caught naked in the rain - I wasn't happy.
Now, I just get wet.

I use weatherbug and look at radar.... pretty simple yet effective.
No "alarms" but radar is pretty predictive (west to east) here it comes.
It helps I have flexibility to go/leave/etc when I want....

Just remember it's only water... we were born in it, drink it, use it to wash ourselves as well as our Jeeps.
About the only thing(s) I cover are the clockspring (center of steering wheel) and the center stack (radio and switches)
I took my soft top off for now. So won't really matter if rain hits now. However, rain comes from almost any direction here except rarely from the East. It can come from the North, the West, or the South. You just have to watch the radar animation and judge if it's going to pass by you. I don't always remember to check the radar. An alert will be nice if I did want to run out and put the top up in the future. Plus I sit away from windows at work and never notice the skies getting dark. :)

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I used to buy the expensive form fit snuggy RainGear tops.

Now I have like $8 tied up in a TSC tarp and some nylon bungies under my back seat.
Saves my bacon and if it walks away - no tears.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Thanks. I'll check it out. I do have iOS, but know many apps are on both. Who is the developer? Carlos Aviles Software is who I see on iOS on my initial search.

No, it's another guy Michael Diener from Software e.K, but he may be their Android developer and your guy may be the iOS dev.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Just God's way of telling you it's time to clean your Jeep's interior.

Reactions: SOCALGAL
1 - 20 of 46 Posts