Premium Member
1,407 Posts
How did you do that?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you do that?
Step one: Start with pliers and elbow grease. After 15 minutes of pulling go check Wrangler Forum for a better method.

Step two: Fasten a zip tie around the valve. After breaking several zip ties go check Wrangler Forum again for an even better method.

Step three: Apply visegrips, mount the engine and proceed to deadlift the PCV valve until the metal tears free:

Step four: Call in a buddy who takes a hammer a screw driver to the PCV valve and voilà you have a broken valve cover. :(

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wow, way to make this difficult Jeep for us owners that like to wrench on our own vehicles. I have not looked into this PM yet but is this a 3.8 or 3.6?

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Just curious, why were you replacing it in the first place?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, way to make this difficult Jeep for us owners that like to wrench on our own vehicles. I have not looked into this PM yet but is this a 3.8 or 3.6?
This is on a 2008 JKR 3.8L engine. I tried removing the PCV valve while the engine was cold. Evidently, it's supposed to be easier if the engine is warm and the rubber seal around the PCV valve has had time to soften up a bit. If this ever happens again I'll just remove the valve cover and punch it out from the inside.

Just curious, why were you replacing it in the first place?
Manual says to replace the PCV valve at 90,000 miles or 90 months. I just bought the Jeep used and was changing out all the fluids and filters and figured it was getting close to the 90 months so I'd knock it out too. You know whats really funny? The original looked okay but since I had things apart and had already purchased the replacement I figured I'd just do it anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
I have never had a PVC go bad. The last one I replaced was on a car that had 130K Miles on it. PVC checked out perfect but since I had a new one in hand I replaced it. Made no change on how the car performed.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
I wonder if a shot of WD-40 would make it come out easier?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old post but I just broke the cover (screwdriver...) and need to know how to fix or replace the cover.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old post but I just broke the cover (screwdriver...) and need to know how to fix or replace the cover.

Thanks!
Did the same, I had tennis elbow and minimal feeling in hand. I broke lots of stuff for six months till I recovered. Mechanic got one from the dealer came complete with a pcv valve, gasket and bolts. Had a mechanic do it because of arm. I'm sure I got over charged. With a tow was about $400. Probably can do for less than $100 yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts