Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm brand new to this forum as well as to owning a Wrangler. I've wanted one forever and finally got the guts to show up with one using the approach of asking for forgiveness is better than asking for permission from the wife. I'm 39, a teacher and don't have cash to really mod the way I'd love to. I'm looking for great advice and I know you all have it as I've been spying on this site for a while.

My jeep is a 2015 Sahara unlimited. Black, both tops and stock. Painfully stock. It is my daily commuter but will do some upstate hiking and camping with it. I'm not going to be serious rock climbing with it.

I'm looking for some really inexpensive ideas to help not look so stock. I'll tell you what I want in a perfect world and maybe you can give me some ideas around the expensive stuff.

What I don't like is the look of the nose pointing down. I see there are leveling kits out there but I'm so inexperienced that even those scare me. Do I want to just lift the front or do these kits also lift the back. If they also lift the back will i be back to square one where the nose is pointing down? I only want a gentleman's lift just to get a little clearance. What do you all suggest, specifically? Also, again, no money, so I suppose I have to keep my stock wheels. I went to my local tire place just for ideas and pricing. They told me I could only go 265/70/18 on my current wheels and that would not have my tire stick out just past the fender that I would like in my perfect world. Any suggestions? Are they correct? Also, I'd love my wheels darker than the stock but actually don't mind the stock wheels look, so can I paint them?

Again, I'm so sorry for all the noob questions. One day I hope to not be so green. But I am so thrilled to finally have my Wrangler.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome! Nice Jeep. You could look into plasti dip for your wheels. Inexpensive and very sharp looking.

·
Registered
844 Posts
There a many little things you can do but really all the mods that change the look of your Jeep noticeably are expensive.

Tires will be around $800. Without a lift you would be better to stick with the stock size or maybe a something wider but still the stock height. There is a thread on stock size Duratracks you may find helpful but if you really don't have money then replacing new tires is probably not a good idea.

If you don't like the rake just put a 3/4" to 1" spring spacer in the front and call it a day. They are cheap.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There a many little things you can do but really all the mods that change the look of your Jeep noticeably are expensive. Tires will be around $800. Without a lift you would be better to stick with the stock size or maybe a something wider but still the stock height. There is a thread on stock size Duratracks you may find helpful but if you really don't have money then replacing new tires is probably not a good idea. If you don't like the rake just put a 3/4" to 1" spring spacer in the front and call it a day. They are cheap.
I purchased stock size Duratracs (255x75x17) because I wanted a tire I could run in the snow, but could also be ran on a dry highway. They look and feel great. I sold my original SRAs to a local guy for $300, and new Duratracs installed were about $750. My out of pocket wasn't too bad for some nice new tires that really make a difference in looks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There a many little things you can do but really all the mods that change the look of your Jeep noticeably are expensive.

Tires will be around $800. Without a lift you would be better to stick with the stock size or maybe a something wider but still the stock height. There is a thread on stock size Duratracks you may find helpful but if you really don't have money then replacing new tires is probably not a good idea.

If you don't like the rake just put a 3/4" to 1" spring spacer in the front and call it a day. They are cheap.
Excellent! So you can find lifts that just handle the front? Do you recommend a name brand?

Thanks to anyone who replied. I hesitated posting because I'm so green. Even your terminology is new to me but I'm catching on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There a many little things you can do but really all the mods that change the look of your Jeep noticeably are expensive. Tires will be around $800. Without a lift you would be better to stick with the stock size or maybe a something wider but still the stock height. There is a thread on stock size Duratracks you may find helpful but if you really don't have money then replacing new tires is probably not a good idea. If you don't like the rake just put a 3/4" to 1" spring spacer in the front and call it a day. They are cheap.
I purchased stock size Duratracs (255x75x17) because I wanted a tire I could run in the snow, but could also be ran on a dry highway. They look and feel great. I sold my original SRAs to a local guy for $300, and new Duratracs installed were about $750. My out of pocket wasn't too bad for some nice new tires that really make a difference in looks.
How much wider are yours? Snow is THE WEATHER in upstate New York, so that's what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is where I run into issues. Mine are 18 inch wheels. I can't find what you have in your 17 inch. Again, I'm so new. ...here comes a terrible question, I HAVE to find tires that end in 18 right? (Ducks and hides) haha.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How much wider are yours? Snow is THE WEATHER in upstate New York, so that's what I'm thinking.
How much wider are the Duratracs? They are the same size as my stock tires were so not much of a difference. They are probably a little taller due to tread but not by much...

I don't want wide tires in the snow so I went with stock size. Next size "up" is the 265 70 17s, but they are are a little shorter and wider compared to mine at 255 75 17, which is what I would recommend.

·
Registered
623 Posts
This is where I run into issues. Mine are 18 inch wheels. I can't find what you have in your 17 inch. Again, I'm so new. ...here comes a terrible question, I HAVE to find tires that end in 18 right? (Ducks and hides) haha.
Yes,

For example 315/70/17

315 = diameter
70 = sidewall height
17 = rim size

·
Registered
263 Posts
What I don't like is the look of the nose pointing down. I see there are leveling kits out there but I'm so inexperienced that even those scare me. Do I want to just lift the front or do these kits also lift the back. If they also lift the back will i be back to square one where the nose is pointing down? I only want a gentleman's lift just to get a little clearance. What do you all suggest, specifically?

Also, again, no money, so I suppose I have to keep my stock wheels. I went to my local tire place just for ideas and pricing. They told me I could only go 265/70/18 on my current wheels and that would not have my tire stick out just past the fender that I would like in my perfect world. Any suggestions? Are they correct?

Also, I'd love my wheels darker than the stock but actually don't mind the stock wheels look, so can I paint them?
First off, welcome. I am also semi-new on here and won't have all, or even the best, answers, but here you go. The leveling kits bring the front up level with the back (remove the factory rake) by adding 2" to the front and 1" to the back. The Teraflex leveling kit seems to be popular on here, but is not the only one out there. It would allow you to get slightly bigger tires under there (305/65R18).

I am not sure which tires size you can fit with the setup you currently have. I do know that there are a ton of threads on the subject though. For wheels, if you like the style of the stock rims, but just want them darker, I would recommend plastidip. One can (about $6) per wheel. You can usually find black in Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. But if you want gray or some other dark color, you can find it online. Its surprisingly durable and peals right off if you ever change your mind. Also a lot of threads on this topic.

As for other cheap mods, check the cheap mods thread. The cost of all things is relative. What I think is cheap and what someone else thinks is cheap may not be the same thing. However, here are a few of the more popular "cheap" mods: a new antenna (black), decals, sliders (Ace or Barricade are reasonably priced), tinted windows, LED light bar (one of the more reasonably priced ones), LED headlights (truck-lites), paint the muffler black. More drastic changes in aesthetic come with lift, tires, and wheels. If you're not off-roading and just want the look, a budget boost lift and new tires may be your best option. However, if you plan on doing some off-roading, the general consensus is to let the trails you run tell you what you need and to not skimp on the lift. That being said, a $2000+ lift is not in everyone's budget or practical in all cases.

Until I am able to justify spending the money on a quality lift, wheels, tires, and re-gear, I am getting by with some of the smaller mods listed above.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the process.

Edit: I forgot to add the link to this thread, which you may find informational.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/jk-tech-common-questions-here-475185.html

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
You can do a 1" Tera flex puck up front for about $35 and be level. Next get some VDP front bumper full width end caps. Your look will be different (better) for a little over $100.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You can get 255x70R18 in Duratracs. That would be stock for you I think...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Inexpensive?

Teraflex spacers up front - $50

VDP stubby front bumper ends - $60

Front light mount with cheap 20" light bar - $120

Decals and custom stickers - $15+

·
Registered
182 Posts
You should be fine in the NY snow with the tires you have on your Sahara, I live there too and know what you mean about snow! Look at the buy and sell site on here if you are looking for 17 inch wheels, you may get lucky. Try terraflex for leveling kit or look at the vendor site on here also. Good Luck with your Jeep !

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
You can get them for 18's. My buddy at work has them on his stock Sahara wheels.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I have done some cheap mods:

fuel gas cap door ~$40.00 (ebay version, chinese knock-off works fine, but other people have had mixed results)
front fender clear side markers ~$30.00
grille inserts $50.00
cabin air filters~$17.00
tow hitch: ~$60.00
Integrated Back up camera <$100, but you need to have a better radio than the base 130 since you need touchscreen
If money is tight, I would keep the tires and rims and when the tires eventually wear out, change them to a different brand/style.
But, I have done some not to cheap mods as well, premium soft top and mopar half doors, haha!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts