Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay well I should have pictures up tomorrow, but I finished doing the sides of my jeep, and got the "MAJOR" rust holes. Right now I have one small spot under the Jeep logo, which isn't really close to it so I can save it.

Other then that the only bad spots now are the Rear, Both sides on the corners have rust, they had corner guards on it when I bought it so didn't know. Well the toolbox plating stuff, not sure if their called guards.

What would you suggest I do to the rear? Do they sell the rear corner replacements? Or should I invest in the whole rear corner guard replacements? I seen some made out of aluminum and steel, i wasn't sure if they were covers or actual panels to be welded though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Rear corner replacements are expensive but they do exsist
Smittybilt Jeep XRC Armour
Scroll down those are the XRC ones from smitty $220/pair.
Theres a ton of them out there though just do a search for corner guards.
If I was on a budget I'd clean up the rust, cut it out, rustoleum it and then put back on the corner pieces you have

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rear corner replacements are expensive but they do exsist
Smittybilt Jeep XRC Armour
Scroll down those are the XRC ones from smitty $220/pair.
Theres a ton of them out there though just do a search for corner guards.
If I was on a budget I'd clean up the rust, cut it out, rustoleum it and then put back on the corner pieces you have
Yea I like those but them are guards, I'd need to fix the rust first. I'm thinking of asking for them for x-mas, but I'll be having family do the welding so I'd need the full piece to make it easier on them, The lip all the way around is hardly there and we'd need that for the flare as well.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
If you have the sheet metal, you can make the radius with a sheet metal roller, any sheet metal shop should have one.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea thats it, I seen somewhere they sell the rear corner, like a corner guard but an actual replacement panel, it didn't have cut-outs though...

I just replaced half of the wheel well to almost the front fender. So guess I should of waited and got this now i'll need to cut the newer welds now, but thanks for helping, might be getting that, it's pretty cheap too.

How much do you think a shop would charge to weld them? I could get it done free but would take a few weeks, so might just want to pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish I would have done that from the start, I was broke and didn't think the rust was that bad. I'm only 18 and this is my first wrangler. The guy lied up and down, sad part is that he used to be a police officer for 20 years and was an older guy. He even knew my baby was about to be due, but I guess anyone can lie to make a little cash.

I'm going to hold off from doing that untill I get a quote, I'm going to focus on my fenders.
Are they just bolted on?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yeah-fenders are easy, especially on a YJ. Unbolt from grill and tub. Make sure to unbolt the brace underneath also.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, well found some on ebay with no rust for 125 each and 40 shipping, that seems a little high, so asked if he'd go down any. People on here were saying 100 for both is reasonable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts