Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In comparison to other vehicles on road same age, mileage, and climate. Just curious from reading all these nightmare stories.

Luckily my frame is still ok.:)

·
Super Moderator
6,902 Posts
because they use a tube instead of a c channel like many vehicles, which is more rigid but also collects dirt. when that dirt gets wet, it stays wet for a much longer period of time than what a wet frame would, and that causes a lot of the issues. if your frame is cleaned regularly, there is a much lower chance of frame rot

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
because they use a tube instead of a c channel like many vehicles, which is more rigid but also collects dirt. when that dirt gets wet, it stays wet for a much longer period of time than what a wet frame would, and that causes a lot of the issues. if your frame is cleaned regularly, there is a much lower chance of frame rot
Had an 03 Ford Explorer for 10 years with tube frame and never had issue.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
plus they use the cheapest steel they can get in order to maximize profit
The quality of the steel used in frames has very little to nothing to do with it. Steel rusts. Expensive steel rusts, cheap steel rusts, there is no difference in how fast it rusts.

I can set very expensive 4130 chromemolly tubing outside right next to cheap ERW tubing and they rust at the same rate.

The only way to stop steel from rusting is to prevent it from exposure to oxygen which will stop ferrous oxide from forming.

You need a barrier of some sort. Paint, undercoating, plating, grease, etc. to prevent the exposure and if the barrier fails and allows exposure to oxygen, it will rust.

The best bare steel in the world will rust away long before the cheapest coated steel.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Had an 03 Ford Explorer for 10 years with tube frame and never had issue.
Having owned a few Fords, the ones I've been around have a thick waxy coating on the frame that doesn't dry out or get removed with washing or road debris which I suspect has more to do with the longevity than anything else.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
My frame looks the same as it did they day it came off of the factory line.
You live in the Salt belt and want to have a perfect frame? Don't drive it during the winter, simple.
Btw, Toyota has had major rust issues in the past, too.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Just making a blanket statement that Jeep dropped the ball and did a bad design is gross oversimplification. Keep in mind that people who own Jeeps take these things in deep water, mud, muddy water, ice and snow, roads with salt, on lakebeds, and a whole range of places your average Exploder or 4 Runner never goes. And then just park it when they get home, hoping it will just take care of itself.

When you fill the frame up with mud, it's gonna hold the moisture against the steel much longer than if the steel was clean. and every time it gets wet thereafter, for a lifetime. Could they have put drain holes in specific places to help? Sure. In a few cases, they did. But more holes also equals less base strength at some critical points. There are coatings you can use to help preserve your frame from rusting and extend its life indefinitely if you give it a bit of attention whenever you fill it with mud.

But to just put the whole thing on Jeep isn't fair. They can't be expected to know all about how you or I may neglect our vehicle and choose not to keep the underside at least reasonably mud-free.

If you want the "perfect" vehicle, where the manufacturer has taken steps to compensate for your lack of maintenance, buy an Icon. Just better get on your big boy pants when it comes to the bill.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Put steel or even aluminum into a harsh environment without keeping a maintenance routine going to keep it free of things like salt is just asking for a rusted out piece of steel or corroded aluminum. It's pretty absurd/short-sighted/ignorant to blame Jeep for their steel rusting. There's not a steel that won't rust if it's not kept protected.

Look at our US Navy ships that are made of steel. What do you think the younger Navy enlisted crew is kept busy doing on those steel behemoths on a daily basis? Chipping, scraping, and painting to keep the corrosion at bay. Does anyone think the Navy is scrimping on their steel or telling the builders not to put good protective coatings on it? I doubt anyone believes that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
put steel or even aluminum into a harsh environment without keeping a maintenance routine going to keep it free of things like salt is just asking for a rusted out piece of steel or aluminum. It's pretty absurd/short-sighted/ignorant to blame jeep for their steel rusting. There's not a steel that won't rust if it's not kept protected.

Look at our us navy ships. What do you think the younger navy enlisted crew is kept busy doing on those steel behemoths on a daily basis? Chipping, scraping, and painting to keep the corrosion at bay. Does anyone think the navy is scrimping on their steel or telling the builders not to put good protective coatings on it? I doubt anyone believes that.
x2!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Rusting jeep frames is because people don't never wash their jeeps after they have a big snow storm, or mud or deep water I have an 03 jeep wrangler that I just got done rebuilding after it sat for 5 years in the weather and me and my Dad didn't even need to repaint the frame. All because when I was off-roading in it I washed it on a regular basis

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
A fully boxed frame is part of the issue. Drill some drain holes in the bottom.

People "mudding" and "wheeling" which fills the frame with dirt and mud and then drive it on salted roads and never wash the Jeep equals a rusted out frame.

My TJ has no rust anywhere, okay, maybe a tiny spec here or there.

Keep it clean, keep it out of the mud. Keep it out of salt. If you cannot then at least wash it including underneath.

Rust? What is this "rust" you guys speak of?

J

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Here you go, only $179,000 used.

ICON4x4 • INVENTORY

Now, you think I could not purchase a TJ Rubicon for $20,000 and then for $159,000 build a TJ with a stainless steel frame.

I just took my Tacoma 2006 TRD O/R in for the frame recall yesterday to inspect the frame for rust. I knew it had no rust but I had the inspection done just because. Yeah, again, here and there there was a little rust but I wash the Taco regularly, especially in the winter and I take care of it and crawl around under it and kill any rust I find. My 2006 Taco looks and drives like new with no frame rust. Others I have seen are badly rusted. They also look ridden hard and put away wet. Beat on your vehicles and mud them and you will always be needing another, sooner than later. J

·
Registered
346 Posts
Do you drive that in the winter? My Jeep looks like that but only because I've been spraying Rustoleum on it and cleaning it religiously since it was new and it will STILL rust if it sits in my garage long enough. I drive it in the winter. Living a few miles from the ocean does that. I haven't wheeled it in years and even when I did I tried not to take it in mud and washed it after each trip.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Do you drive that in the winter? My Jeep looks like that but only because I've been spraying Rustoleum on it and cleaning it religiously since it was new and it will STILL rust if it sits in my garage long enough. I drive it in the winter. Living a few miles from the ocean does that. I haven't wheeled it in years and even when I did I tried not to take it in mud and washed it after each trip.

That is the point, thank you, you maintain your Jeep as do I, most do not and therefore their Jeeps turn into ferrous oxide.

J

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm just hoping someone will make replacement frames again at some point in time. I feel the TJ is the best Wrangler platform overall and I plan on keeping mine forever.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts