Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what Axles are the right width and a direct swap for an SOA front?Of course I would want a Dana 44 if possible. One that would ideally come off a vehicle that already has the springs on top with the steering over the springs, 4.10 gears in my case as well as the driver side diff. If it was something that came with lockers that would be best of course. So does this exist? What vehicles and how much money would I be looking at? I already have a good setup, but if I know what to look for and see a good deal I would jump on it since its just a matter of time before I break mosg parts.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
In my opinion the only Dana 44 worth swapping into a yj comes from a either a 76/77 Ford f100/f150/bronco (72-75 can work too but you'd probably want to swap everything from the knuckles out for disc breaks) or a 78/79 f250

Reason being, they are drivers side drop, and high pinion, and solid tube so old radius arm mounts can be removed. All others are either low pinion or passenger drop and low pinion, or aren't a fully solid tube.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
darkproximity said:
In my opinion the only Dana 44 worth swapping into a yj comes from a either a 76/77 Ford f100/f150/bronco (72-75 can work too but you'd probably want to swap everything from the knuckles out for disc breaks) or a 78/79 f250

Reason being, they are drivers side drop, and high pinion, and solid tube so old radius arm mounts can be removed. All others are either low pinion or passenger drop and low pinion, or aren't a fully solid tube.
Whats the average cost?

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
IMO the easiest swap will be a D44 out of a 73-79 F150 supercab....and it has to be a supercab as they were the only half ton that came with leafs. With it, you will only have to slot the pin holes 1/4 inch per side and the springs will drop right down on it same as my 60 front did in mine. You can also use a 78-79 D44 out of an F250 but it will be 8 lug where the other will be 5.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So did those come with selectable lockers? I am thinking that a selectable locker for a D30 is $500 minimum. Why not just spend $500 on a D44 that has a locker already and swap the axle? In the end I would be way better off for about the same $$$ since I would do all of the work myself. I know pickup trucks I have had in the past had lockers, at least I would lock the hubs in 4WD. I am assuming if it has hub locks that would mean it has a selectable locker? This is something I dont get into normally. I can open up my diffs and pull the axles with no problems, but I never got into all the nitty gritty details of them. I am still curious what I would expect to spend on one of these. Also, would a 30-40 year old front still be solid inside? Nothing to worry about, or would it need to be completely rebuilt? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
No, selectable lockers weren't invented when a 44 front was being made. I have had a couple with TracLoks from the factory but they are very very rare. Your gonna prolly have to buy one regardless which axle you choose. As far as 30-40 year old goes, they will be fine as long as they were greased.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts