Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 683 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen threads like this on other sites and even this one but this one is for the Cali bunch. It's nice seeing what people do to there rigs and actually get to wheel with them too!!

No mod or project to big or to small.

Show us what you got!

:welcome:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
OK here is what I did on Saturday

After about killing myself trying to get my 35” spare back on the tire swing and the fact I don’t want to get another hernia, I’ve had 3 in the last 5 years, I have been thinking of a way to lift my spare using a winch of some sort. So I buy a 2000 LB, 12VDC ATV winch with a wired remote and start kicking around ways to make this work.

So I get together with a fellow club member this past Saturday and we kick a few ideas around and before you know it we were cutting steel and welding parts together, it’s good to know people that were machinists before they retired, that and he can weld.

The first thing we did was cut a piece of receiver stock and weld it to the tire swing, then figure out how tall of a piece of 2” stock we would need, then we added another piece of receiver stock to the top of the upright in a “T” and cut another piece of 2” for the arm above the tire.

Then George asks “how were you going to mount the winch?” So we kick a few ideas around and decide on a piece of ¼” flat stock welded to the end of the arm and we also decide to make the winch removable by using keyhole slots! How cool is that?

We get everything cut, drilled, keyholes made and welded together then it’s on the lathe to make the buttons for the keyhole slots. George take a piece of aluminum round stock and puts it in the lathe and a few minutes he has made the buttons and we bolt them to the winch and test fit it to the mounting plate, perfect fit.

Now I put all the parts together, mount the winch, connect the remote and run the leads to the battery and give it a test, and it works perfectly! No more lifting my spare! Woo hoo I am very happy.

Here are a few pics showing the parts and how it looks all together, so what do you think?
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel your pain... I almost blew my @$$ out trying to lift my 37 into my tire carrier by myself.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here was my projects for last weekend...

Finished up my C/O install, and started on my RockHard Sport cage install

Still patiently waiting for my front housing tho :(

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Well Monday night after work I found myself with a little bit of time so I finally wired up my backup lights. I never hooked them back up after I did the aw-4 automatic transmission conversion from the ax-15.:iamhappy:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I beat some dents out with a large hammer and started messing with a hitch rack I bought to get all my camping gear out on our trips. Any thoughts on lights and license plate after I load this thing with camping gear? Think I'll get hassled in our great state?

[/ATTACH

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Question, do you have trailer lights on your Jeep? If yes then how about a cheap set of trailer lights mounted to the rack and connected to the trailer light plug using the 4 wire flat connector?

Or you could get the mounting bracket and light that moves your license plate to the spare tire? It all depends on how high you will stack stuff on the rack of course.

Just a couple of ideas but you get the idea.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Removed Crome Jeep emblem and replaced with black one yesterday .. Likening it

sj
I need to do that! I bought the black emblem about a year ago and it's sitting on my desk :(

I'm just hoping to find the time to vacuum the dog hair out today, the boats in the shop so I've got a few hours of space in the garage :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I beat some dents out with a large hammer and started messing with a hitch rack I bought to get all my camping gear out on our trips. Any thoughts on lights and license plate after I load this thing with camping gear? Think I'll get hassled in our great state?

I doubt you'll get hassled I see lots of rigs going north on 395 with same type of setup with camping gear, suit cases, lots of coolers with no extra lights and blocking license plates.

sj

·
Registered
784 Posts
Here was my projects for last weekend...

Finished up my C/O install, and started on my RockHard Sport cage install

Still patiently waiting for my front housing tho :(

Same C/O setup here. Not a bad setup.

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
I just did some deferred maintenance I have been putting off. Checking all the torque stripe nuts and bolts to make sure things still line up and some things needed lubing from the last trip thru the water. Other than that my mod money is going to the kids right now.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
That's sweet Jeff. I know your pain. I did that a couple of times and decided there were young guys around to help. LOL
Thanks Bob! I sometimes go out alone or with the guys my age so I don't always have a young guy around for the heavy lifting! :whistling:

·
Registered
368 Posts

I doubt you'll get hassled I see lots of rigs going north on 395 with same type of setup with camping gear, suit cases, lots of coolers with no extra lights and blocking license plates.

sj
Yeah, I'm going to run it as is and see what happens. If I think I'll be running at night I may run some reflective tape along the rear.
Time to go wheel!!!!

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
DOoooooooooooo IT :beerdrinking:

sj
I know, at least I did get the dog hair vacuumed out of it yesterday.

Now I have to get the TJ into Dennis so he can go over it and make sure everything's good. My list never ends!!

1 - 20 of 683 Posts