Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So... I don't know when this started because my daughter was driving my Wrangler, but one day I got in it and the pedal was soft. I can push the pedal all the way to the floor. My local mechanic is stumped. He's replaced the booster, the ABS (twice), all pads and calipers (2x). The pedal is still soft. He says everything is new from the pedal to the pads and has pumped three gallons of brake fluid through the system to make sure there's no air in the system.

It stops the car, but it just doesn't feel right to me.

Thoughts?

Derek

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If nothing is leaking... and that is important... then the only thing left are the lines/hoses themselves. Now, steel lines can't expand, but the rubber ones can... so check if there are any bulges when you are pressing on the brakes. They have steel reinforcement but you can't see if it's cracked.

There is a special procedure for bleeding ABS brakes that he'd need the proper TechStream program (or whatever they call it for Jeep).

I will have to call BS on some of his story though. 3 gallons of brake fluid is a ridiculous waste and somewhat unbelievable.

If the pedal still goes to the floor, you have a leak somewhere. If it's not spilling out on the wheels or floor, its internal on the master cylinder.

If it's just squishy and nothing else is wrong... get new brake lines.... but I suspect something else is wrong.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
so a way around using the techstream program scanner is to bleed the brakes with the engine running. pump the brakes 3 times with the bleeder valve open and on the third last pump close the valve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts