Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was curious what other's thought's were when it comes to using soft shackle's vs D-ring shackles. I'm hoping to uncover the pro's and con's of each and which way to ultimately go. Thanks and Happy New Years!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I leave the d-rings mounted on the bumper tightened with a wrench so they don't fall off. Then use a soft shackle to connect a tow strap to the d-ring. Easy and quick way to attach the strap.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Honestly there is nothing to discuss. D-ring shackle equals rotary landline telephone and soft shackle equals latest iPhone. Would you choose a rotary dial landline from Ma Bell?

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Hello, I was curious what other's thought's were when it comes to using soft shackle's vs D-ring shackles. I'm hoping to uncover the pro's and con's of each and which way to ultimately go. Thanks and Happy New Years!

Personally I prefer the d-rings, although soft is probably safer. It's a lot of weight to come back at you if a d-rings fails.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I've never tried soft shackles.. I can see them being more convenient in my recovery kit with their lighter weight. Plus the fact that you don't have to worry about keeping them separated so they don't clink around when they bump together or come in contact with other metal stuff in the kit.

One day I'll break down and get a few :)

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally I prefer the d-rings, although soft is probably safer. It's a lot of weight to come back at you if a d-rings fails.
What about possible sideloading issues? I bought a Factor 55 Flatlink E and with normal shackles it claims that their are possible sideloading issues. I realize you have to be a complete dumba*s to do this, but would rather eliminate the thought of this. My idea is that the soft shackle wouldn't be prone to this issue. But I'm no pro-jeeper, far from it.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly there is nothing to discuss. D-ring shackle equals rotary landline telephone and soft shackle equals latest iPhone. Would you choose a rotary dial landline from Ma Bell?
Haha, gotcha partner. Why do you believe this? I'm open to all input! :drinks:

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
D Rings look macho and cool. Soft shackles look weird and people who aren't into off roading think it's broken rope.

On the other hand, soft shackles are tremendously safer and have other advantages.. but.. they look weird.

There are a lot of things in the Jeep (or any vehicle) hobby like that.

(Edit to clarify - I personally would use soft shackles exclusively; I don't see the value of normal DRings and I think it looks weird when people leave them on their Jeep 24/7. Just like when street racers leave a tow hook on their call all the time).

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
What about possible sideloading issues? I bought a Factor 55 Flatlink E and with normal shackles it claims that their are possible sideloading issues. I realize you have to be a complete dumba*s to do this, but would rather eliminate the thought of this. My idea is that the soft shackle wouldn't be prone to this issue. But I'm no pro-jeeper, far from it.

There are sideload issues on just about everything, including soft shackles. SS's are prone to sharp and 90 degree edges... which you start seeing a lot more of on sideloads.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
A quality soft shackle is good for 35k and some even have extra sheathing for protection.
I too, leave the D rings wrenched tight on the bumpers and use the Soft Shackles on them and the snatch blocks and soft shackle pulley ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
There are sideload issues on just about everything, including soft shackles. SS's are prone to sharp and 90 degree edges... which you start seeing a lot more of on sideloads.
Personally speaking I find Apple ridiculous. The hardware itself is pretty good, but the 'apple way' is just outrageous. If you buy into any other product you own it. With Apple... they own you.
When I sideload my Apple the Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat models are thicker...

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Personally speaking I find Apple ridiculous. The hardware itself is pretty good, but the 'apple way' is just outrageous. If you buy into any other product you own it. With Apple... they own you.
Eh.

I'm a CIO and my department supports a 450 user enterprise. Strongly prefer iPhones for most of my users. Their stuff just works for the vast majority of our attorneys/staff. I'm not sure how/what it is that makes them own you. Their privacy approach seems a lot more protective of the end user than Amazon or Google, for example.

Strongly prefer the PC Platform on the computer side, though.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Honestly, Apple, Droid, they all F**king suck. How about them soft shackles vs d-rings ya filthy animals??!!:drinks:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts