Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide on whether I need a hardtop if/when I get an Unlimited. I live in central NY and we average 120 or so inches of snow a year. Sometimes wet, heavy snow. How do the unlimited soft tops hold up to winter weather? I'm worrying about 3-4 years down the road. Any snowbelt owners with advice?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I live in NH, so some snow. Put hard top on because i like the defroster and heat. Soft top for summer.

S

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I drive a 2 door, and I run a soft top year around, in my area of northern Michigan, we average around 150 inches of snow. I don’t have any trouble with the snow or keeping warm, the heater rocks. Just don’t scrape the plastic windows, or you’ll scratch them.
Good luck and think Snow!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Trying to decide on whether I need a hardtop if/when I get an Unlimited. I live in central NY and we average 120 or so inches of snow a year. Sometimes wet, heavy snow. How do the unlimited soft tops hold up to winter weather? I'm worrying about 3-4 years down the road. Any snowbelt owners with advice?
You could have issues...in the experience of me and my buddies here in Michigan it's not that the top can't handle it from a wear perspective but rather that with a heavy snow on it, the top deforms to a degree and the snow/water leaks in pretty bad when you get back in and warm it up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Never had any issues with a 2 door, I just made sure to clear off the snow whenever I shoveled. We'll see how the 4 door handles this winter.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Drove a soft top for about 15 winters. No issues...except what was said above - be careful with the windows. If they are iced over, leave them alone...and let the heater do its job. I used to knock them when they were covered with ice and the ice would shatter and fall off. I thought it was so cool...until one day I put my fist through one when it was bitterly cold. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
To me, most important question here would be, is your Jeep garaged? I run a soft top year-round here in Wisconsin, but I also have a garage to park it in. Occasionally I have to leave it out in the elements (airport, etc), and it's fine. Although, last winter was the feeblest we've had in probably a dozen years.

Also, I run an ORH soft top, which seems like it would handle a lot more weight than the standard Bestop bow top.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also, IMO the soft top heats up pretty well in the winter, the down side is the top is not insulated very well and the heat is lost fairly quick once the heat is turned off. Outside of that, not to bad for the convenience of being able to take the top down anywhere you want.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Never had any issues with a 2 door, I just made sure to clear off the snow whenever I shoveled. We'll see how the 4 door handles this winter.
This is how I handled a soft top only in NJ. Not as much snow as in NY... but if you're out shoveling or outside for any reason, just push it off and keep it clear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts