Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, yesterday, I finally had time to remove the hard top to make place for the soft top for the first time on my 10A.

Side note: shoot that thing is tight....

Anyways, while watching different videos on installation, one in particular mentioned that if you have the header folded back, you can roll up the rear window, but the side windows have to stay on, otherwise, it will flap like crazy... Any truth to that ???

Yes I could try it and see for myself, but as said, this was yesterday and I am presently at work and wondering.

Reason for asking, is that it would be nice to be able to catch some rays, while my dog stays in the shade and able to get the wind that she likes so much...

Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I have seen many Jeeps with this configuration -- side windows in and rear window rolled up or removed. I don't really know about the flapping issue though.

I figure it's easy to unzip the sides of the rear window and roll it up and not have to remove the window. They're a bitch to get back in when fully removed.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I have.a 4 door and I always take the side and rear windows out while leaving the rest of the soft top in place and have had zero issue doing so. I highly recommend getting a window roll to store the windows in and be able to carry them with you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have.a 4 door and I always take the side and rear windows out while leaving the rest of the soft top in place and have had zero issue doing so. I highly recommend getting a window roll to store the windows in and be able to carry them with you.
I do the same with my top all the time with no issues. Even at 75 mph it doesn't seem to flap too bad. As far as protecting the windows I use old beach towels.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, but do you guys also flip back the suntop while the side and rear windows are off???

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Alright, but do you guys also flip back the suntop while the side and rear windows are off???
You can. I don't tho because if you're already taking the windows off and flipping part of the top back you may as well flip the whole thing back

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also have a a Spider Web Shade I keep on under my soft top. It serves a couple of purposes for me and my dogs. 1. It keeps us shaded. 2. It gives me piece of mind that he won't fall or jump out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I flip back the sun rider all the time without removing or rolling any of the windows.....haven't had any problems.....sometimes ill just unzip the rear curtain on both sides, but leave it locked in place. just for airflow...

·
Registered
359 Posts
With the Sun rider open you can do anything with the rear windows. Leave them, pull the rear only, pull them all, it doesn't matter. If you leave all of the window in just don't be hitting highway speeds for a long stretch. This will stress the top and windows quite hard.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I often just flip the sun rider back and leave all the windows in. Usually I do this when on the trail and then flip it back for the ride home. If I leave it open for the ride, just try unzipping the sides like said above.

Anyone tried the zipper glide?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
With the Sun rider open you can do anything with the rear windows. Leave them, pull the rear only, pull them all, it doesn't matter. If you leave all of the window in just don't be hitting highway speeds for a long stretch. This will stress the top and windows quite hard.
All you have to do if you do this is open the back window up. I either remove it or unzip it and let it flop into the cargo area. This will let air pass through just fine

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I don't know if you have a 2 door or a 4 door...but in my 4 door I spend 90% of my time in sunrider mode with the rear window "flopped" into the cargo area. The side windows are in, so I have zero flapping what-so-ever.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I'll go ahead and try all kinds of configurations. Was just worried about that statement, that the front flipped and all windows out was a nono.

BTW, mine's a four doors.

·
Registered
248 Posts
With all of the windows in, and the Sunrider closed, do you have any flapping? We have a 10th anniversary as well, with the back window out it is perfect. With everything closed up tight we have a tremendous amount of flutter. If we crack any of the windows open just a little bit, it automatically goes away. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With all of the windows in, and the Sunrider closed, do you have any flapping? We have a 10th anniversary as well, with the back window out it is perfect. With everything closed up tight we have a tremendous amount of flutter. If we crack any of the windows open just a little bit, it automatically goes away. Any suggestions.
With everything closed up, it is as silent if not more than with the hard top. With the overhead flipped and all the windows in place, it is very nice, but have yet to try it that way on the highway. As for the rest of the possible configs, I havent had a chance to try them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts