Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my dilemma I took my soft top off last night after a long winter. Putting it back together my rear tail gate windows zipper completely tore off and the seem ripped about halfway across. My rear driver side top ripped and there are a few tears through out the entire top.

I need a replacement. I currently have a best top model and trying to find the same top and windows on their website is insanely hard. Do anyone of you guys know of a top that will fit my current best top frame that comes with top and all three windows? I'm extremely tight on cash so cheaper is better at the moment.

The info I got from my window is best top by o'sullivan as-7 dot#108m2x06355

·
Registered
698 Posts
I dunno. I bought a Replace-a-top over Christmas and worked great with OEM frame.

I do have my old top (in good shape) in grey with tinted windows for sale in that section. $150 + shipping if money is tight.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You may want to go with a frameless top. Bestop Trektop is great, Rampage makes one that is a little less.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spent 2 hours searching this stuff and I'm confused. I believe I have an aftermarket frame. I have no door surrounds every thing I have tried to purchased says will only fit oe frame. What exactly is a frameless soft top?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
a 'frameless' softops such as a rampage ST doesn't require the ST frame. It uses the roll bars as the frame but still requires the door surrounds, header, and tailgate bar. The Bestop frameless STs are the same concept but Bestop comes complete with all the necessary hardware and door surrounds. Both are popular but Bestop is probably the better of the 2 quality wise. I know the rampage can be converted into a safari top, not sure on the bestops. Here's a good discussion on them:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/bestop-or-rampage-94785.html

·
Registered
6,886 Posts

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Rampage, Softopper, Bestop Trektop NX. All the frameless convert to a safari when you remove the side windows.
Another recent one is Pavement Ends (Bestop entry level) The offer a frameless

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am in the same boat as WattaPunk. I got the SmittyBilt ST last year, black denim. looks great, fits like a glove and tinted windows. However the rear window zipper is going bad i think after hardly any use. I am not sure I would recommend as realistically I have used the zippers maybe 20 times because of the long winter we had. I am already trying to decide what plan be is when it fails. either an upholstery shop to re sew a new one or some other new top. I can't be spending $250/year on tops. Takes away all my play money.

·
Registered
693 Posts
My son is often in the back seat. Does a frameless top provide shade back there? Rear headroom?
Does it fold/accordion back/down, like a framed soft top?

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
My son is often in the back seat. Does a frameless top provide shade back there? Rear headroom?
Does it fold/accordion back/down, like a framed soft top?
My son is nearly 6 ft tall, and he hasn't had any problem with the Softopper and sitting in the back seat.

You can pull the windows out, and use the top in "safari" mode, meaning it covers the front and rear seats. It doesn't fold at all, but rests on the roll cage. The big advantage of the Softopper is that the safari top comes off and goes on easily, in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently I stalled the trektop nx on my 2000 tj. I thought it had sat out in the sun long enough but it was a very tight fit. After everything was properly secured it was a nice fit. Came with all the hardware needed which was good since I had no softop hardware for it. The front flip top is a nice feature especially when I have kids in the back seat and it sheilds them from the sun. No built in storage for the windows but I just roll them up in a fleece blanket and put in the back. I think the windows are larger than the softopper.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
X2 on the Trektop NX. Love this thing. About 10 minutes or less to get the windows in. About 4 to get them out. Have not used the flip top yet. Going to the beach this weekend so we'll see.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just installed a Bestop Trektop NX on a 2006 TJ...

It was easy to install, but I don't care for the way it looks with the front half flipped back.... Front half bounces up and down on rough trails/roads. Nothing secures it.

Also ...when the top is fully installed, it looks bumpy on top. Not very pleasing to the eye. Needs more support around the speaker / sound bar.

Just food for thought.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts