Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used Bestop Trektop for my 10 JKU. Unfortunately they previous owner kept the door surrounds. My question is, do I have to purchase the bestop surrounds or will the Rampage door surrounds work with the Top? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Quadratec and Bestop are both WF members, so you could try PM'ing them. If it were me, I would PM Quadratec. For one, Bestop might tell you that you must use theirs(I'm guessing). Two, Rick from Quadratec usually answers within hours, sometimes Bestop takes a day or two.

My guess though, is that either door surround should work, as they should both be designed to fit the Jeep's door.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just guessing so take my words lightly.

You probably need to use the Bestop surrounds otherwise there would be nothing to clip the overhead bar in to for the top.
The Bestop surrounds have an extra lip on them with a slot in it so you can slide in the overhead bar so it keeps it's shape since it's frameless. I'm not sure if the rampage surrounds have that same slot or not though.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Just guessing so take my words lightly.

You probably need to use the Bestop surrounds otherwise there would be nothing to clip the overhead bar in to for the top.
The Bestop surrounds have an extra lip on them with a slot in it so you can slide in the overhead bar so it keeps it's shape since it's frameless. I'm not sure if the rampage surrounds have that same slot or not though.

You are correct, they also have an additional peg in the back of the surround to guide the cable that keeps tension on the sunrider portion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so, about this top. turns out, when I was looking for hte knobs to attach this top, they were missing...So, I called bestop and set them a picture of my header and they had never seen a header like that. Turns out, its a rampage top. Now, I have the bestop surrounds and a damn rampage top. Will these work together or do I need to return the surrounds and get the rampage ones?

·
Registered
348 Posts
so, about this top. turns out, when I was looking for hte knobs to attach this top, they were missing...So, I called bestop and set them a picture of my header and they had never seen a header like that. Turns out, its a rampage top. Now, I have the bestop surrounds and a damn rampage top. Will these work together or do I need to return the surrounds and get the rampage ones?
I've never seen the Rampage top in person, but from the description and the install instruction videos, it looks like the rampage top uses the older, 'flange' style door surrounds.

The Trektop NX uses a cable-style door door surround, and I don't believe it has the slot to accept the flanges (Rampage's instructions say that 2010 and up factory door surrounds can be modified for use with their top, or 07-09 door surrounds can be used).

I don't think that they are going to work together.

Also when you say you are missing the knobs to install the top, do you mean the knob that tightens down the clamp that holds the header down to the footman loops?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also when you say you are missing the knobs to install the top, do you mean the knob that tightens down the clamp that holds the header down to the footman loops?
Yes, I ended up buying the kit from bestop to change out the style of clamp on the header, which appears to work (this is before I knew it wasn't a bestop).

So, I should return my bestop surrounds and purchase the rampage style?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes, I ended up buying the kit from bestop to change out the style of clamp on the header, which appears to work (this is before I knew it wasn't a bestop).

So, I should return my bestop surrounds and purchase the rampage style?
If you've got the bestop door surrounds and the top both there, I think you should be able to tell fairly easily if they will work together. There's a youtube video I found last night on how to install the rampage top, you should be able to see from the video where the retainer on the top has to slot into the channel in the door surround. Look at that video and your door surround to make sure, but I think you'll find you don't have that channel there.

If that's the case, then your best bet is to return them and either get the rampage style surround, or the 07-09 factory style surround.

You may want to just PM Rick from Quadratec, or give them a call, they may be able to steer you in the best direction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts