Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking at a "used" soft top from a 2008 JKU that the guy never put on his jeep and is still in the original package. I am wondering what changes (if any) there might be between the 2008 factory soft top and a new Bestop Supertop NX. I have (or will have in a week when I take delivery) a 2014 JKURX with only a hard top.

I know the sun rider feature on a new supertop NX allows you to fold half of the top back to have it open above the front seats. Was that a feature back in 2008 as well? Basically I am wondering if it is worth spending $1000 for a new supertop NX or if spending $500 on a never opened 2008 top would be any different than the new one that costs twice as much.

·
Administrator
42,599 Posts
I have an '07 and yes, it has the sunrider feature that open in the front. To my knowledge, the upgraded features like the cables and spring assist in later models shouldn't make a difference in fitment. Personally, I'd get a new top with the new features just to make sure.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
You'd have to alter the header in the 2008 soft top to fit your '14. The rear window will definitely be smaller in the 2008 top. No spring assist, like Beast said. I think there's one more thing, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

You'd also have to make sure you get the 2008 roll bar brackets of his jeep. If you don't, you'd have to buy 2008 brackets. They are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! He has the entire thing in boxes still from when he bought his JKU. It just sold last week without the soft top so now he is selling the top separately.

What would need to be modified on the 08 header to fit a 14? Are there screws or gaskets in different places on the newer JK's?

·
Registered
684 Posts
$500 is a bit high for a 2008, IMO. I bought a lightly used one(2008) for $200 and had to purchase rollbar brackets($50-60). Total cost +/-$250.
As Beast stated; the 2008 had the sunrider but not the cable assist, so raising and lowering is slightly more involved. The rear window is also a little smaller. The middle footmans loop is to the right on newer JKs; so the soft top header needs to be trimmed(I used a dremel), for it to lay completely flat. Also, the top will be the standard material, not premium. I'm not sure but I think tinted windows were an option in 2008(my top is tinted).
* All of the parts for the soft top MUST be from the same year(or version 2008-2010/2011-2014?)for it to work, if you need missing parts, make sure they all match the year.
The rollbar brackets are often left on the seller's JK.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
$500 is a bit high for a 2008, IMO. I bought a lightly used one(2008) for $200 and had to purchase rollbar brackets($50-60). Total cost +/-$250.
As Beast stated; the 2008 had the sunrider but not the cable assist, so raising and lowering is slightly more involved. The rear window is also a little smaller. The middle footmans loop is to the right on newer JKs; so the soft top header needs to be trimmed(I used a dremel), for it to lay completely flat. Also, the top will be the standard material, not premium.
* All of the parts for the soft top MUST be from the same year(or version 2008-2010/2011-2014?)for it to work, if you need missing parts, make sure they all match the year.
The rollbar brackets are often left on the seller's JK.
What he said! :happyyes:

Thanks, fdisker! :flowers:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$500 is a bit high for a 2008, IMO. I bought a lightly used one(2008) for $200 and had to purchase rollbar brackets($50-60). Total cost +/-$250. As Beast stated; the 2008 had the sunrider but not the cable assist, so raising and lowering is slightly more involved. The rear window is also a little smaller. The middle footmans loop is to the right on newer JKs; so the soft top header needs to be trimmed(I used a dremel), for it to lay completely flat. Also, the top will be the standard material, not premium. * All of the parts for the soft top MUST be from the same year(or version 2008-2010/2011-2014?)for it to work, if you need missing parts, make sure they all match the year. The rollbar brackets are often left on the seller's JK.
Good to know on the price. He is asking $600 so I assumed I could get it down to at least $500. It sounds like for a top that is 6 model years old a price of $300 ( if everything is there) would be better.

·
Registered
374 Posts
08 will fit any model year of wrangler as long as you have the correct year door surrounds, hardware and windows!

The only change in the 07/08 model soft tops was they replaced the plastic headers for metal as the plastic header warped and created a leak or massive amounts of wind noise.

I sold an 07 Soft top with all the same year door surrounds, hardware & windows and it came with the with sunrider option for a friends 2012 and it fit with no issues!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting that they changed to metal. If I can get it cheap enough I think it would be worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
You don't have to dremel the header, you can just remove the center footman's loop. The 2014 loop is held on with torx bolts. Some of the earlier ones were riveted, so the header had to be modified.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Interesting that they changed to metal. If I can get it cheap enough I think it would be worth it.
Oh yeah if you can get a softop with all the correct hardware, door surrounds and windows cheap..picked it up!

A few years ago I bought a new & never been used 07 soft top for $150.00 with all correct windows, hardware and door surrounds thinking I would store it and use it when my original soft top wore out...but sold it when I got offered more money!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Having owned 2007 -2014 Jeep Soft tops and I can tell you the 2007-2011 tops were the worst pain in the rear. $300 is a great deal for those years but the 2013 up Premium TWILL with spring assist and cable make these tops as good or better than my hardtop.
I found a 2014 Premium top still in boxes on craigs's list for $500 so deals can be had.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I just did this. I bought a never used 2008 top for my 2014. It will work fine. If his boxes are sealed they should have the windows and two plastic brackets that snap on the rear of the tub for the rear window bar in one box. The other box will have the door surrounds: two pieces that fold out to an L shape for 2 and 4 doors. 4 doors will have two more extension pieces. There will also be screws with big knobs on them. The top and rear window bar will be in one bundle wrapped in a piece of vinyl with snaps securing it. Off of his vehicle, you will need the two brackets that are bolted to the sound bar by the rear seatbelts. I had to grind just a very small amount on the header. It is plastic and has an indent where the front footman loop sticks out. The footman loop was moved in 2009 to the left a little. I installed the soft top then marked it with a sharpie before grinding. You could use a file, it's such a small amount to remove. The windows are smaller on the earlier tops, but they still seem as big as my hard top windows. Install it on a warm, sunny day. It's much easier when the heat helps it stretch. Any questions PM me. By the way, I had to drive 160 miles round-trip, but got mine for $295.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just did this. I bought a never used 2008 top for my 2014. It will work fine. If his boxes are sealed they should have the windows and two plastic brackets that snap on the rear of the tub for the rear window bar in one box. The other box will have the door surrounds: two pieces that fold out to an L shape for 2 and 4 doors. 4 doors will have two more extension pieces. There will also be screws with big knobs on them. The top and rear window bar will be in one bundle wrapped in a piece of vinyl with snaps securing it. Off of his vehicle, you will need the two brackets that are bolted to the sound bar by the rear seatbelts. I had to grind just a very small amount on the header. It is plastic and has an indent where the front footman loop sticks out. The footman loop was moved in 2009 to the left a little. I installed the soft top then marked it with a sharpie before grinding. You could use a file, it's such a small amount to remove. The windows are smaller on the earlier tops, but they still seem as big as my hard top windows. Install it on a warm, sunny day. It's much easier when the heat helps it stretch. Any questions PM me. By the way, I had to drive 160 miles round-trip, but got mine for $295.
What parts are needed to remove from their Jeep. I am pretty sure he sold it and doesn't have it anymore. If he never installed the top would those parts be in the boxes still?

·
Registered
596 Posts
What parts are needed to remove from their Jeep. I am pretty sure he sold it and doesn't have it anymore. If he never installed the top would those parts be in the boxes still?
If he removed the top and boxes from the Jeep, the only things left on/in the Jeep are the brackets that mount to the sport bar behind the rear seats by the seat belt attachnent. See the picture. The attach with torx bolts, a T-40 if I remember correctly. If he doesn't have those, I believe they are in the $60 range from Jeep. Everything else should be in the boxes and the top bundle.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ignore the arrows. I stole the picture off Google. That is what the brackets look like with the top attached and up. Obviously, you would be seeing open holes where the arms attach.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts