Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this soft top frame today. As you can see in the photo, the cloth straps that attach the front and back bows have ripped off from the metal and need to somehow be reattached.

The rivets are stuck in the metal and just about impossible to remove so I need to find some other way to attach the cloth to the frame or potentially wrap it around and attach it cloth to cloth. Not sure if that will make the straps too tight and restrict the frames bend.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Use needle nose pliers to hold the rivits and drill them out using the smallest drill bit that it takes to get them out.
You can get a cheap rivit set with the puller at Harbor Freight and use a bigger rivit to reattach.

If the webbing is ripped then just make new holes farther from the end. It will make the top alittle tighter up the back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't use the "poly" riveter shown in the link it's nor made for metal rivets.

Drill through the center of the rivet head where the stem pulled through, start with a small drill bit then step up in size until you get the head of the rivet to pop off. Be careful not to enlarge the hole in the frame. Once the head pops off just punch the body onto the frame tube. Then re-install a new rivet through the webbing. You need to use a rivet gun made for metal rivets.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I will borrow the gun from work tomorrow and give it a shot. Thank you guys for the advice, I really didn't want to buy a new frame.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I simply used some sheet metal screws and washers to attach the webbing. Simple

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I just put new rivets into the cloth of the frame and it holds together great. I went ahead and hooked it on to the jeep, only to realize that my top will not work with it. I have the factory soft top off an 06 TJ and (I have a 98) I thought that the frame I have (pictured below) was the factory frame. When I went to install the top over the frame I noticed that where it would connect around the windshield, the soft top has what appear to be screw holes in them. This leads me to believe that this frame is supposed to connect into the windshield or with a no-drill header...

Considering my frame clamps into the windshield just like the hardtop does, how would I attach the soft top to the windshield and/or frame at the windshield? Or did I just buy the wrong frame? It looks suspiciously similar to the frame to the bestop supertop...

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
The frame in the picture is a factory. 98-06 frames fit all years. The fabric wraps around the frame header and attaches with screws into the plastic header

·
Registered
336 Posts
The frame in the picture is a factory. 98-06 frames fit all years. The fabric wraps around the frame header and attaches with screws into the plastic header
+1, I bought my jeep with a brand new top in the back seat in the box, and it took me a while to figure that out. The top goes over the header, around the front and under, and fastens with screws. I fixed my straps and my frame with a hand riveter also, it's a great tool for a soft top frame, because I'm always fixing my old frame with it. Also, thanks to whoever posted a link for the straps, because mine are starting to get frayed on the ends and don't want to hold onto the rivets anymore. I couldn't find any strapping that wide.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks man. The riveter is great. Saved me a ton. I actually went out after posting that and looked under and saw the screw holes. Any advice on how to attach the tailgate bar on the back? I've been stretching and stretching the top but I can't figure out how the hell it latches in... I'm pretty sure I've done everything else right but I just cant get it in or to stay attached on the tailgate. Any advice or a GD video of the process?!?!

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
youtube has lot of videos how to install tj tops.

Do you have the tailgate bar clips that attach to the tub to the left and right of the tailgate opening?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Replacement Strap Material is available I got mine from Order Straps, Buckles, Tie-Downs & More | Strapworks.com
Use your old strap for a template I used a Hot Knife to cut the strap & a Soldering iron to make the rivet holes.
I'm actually needing new straps all together. I'm on the website you recommended but I'm clueless as to what to buy. I have a 2004 Sahara if that helps. I'd greatly appreciate your guidance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts