Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a gently used soft top for my 2010 JKU. Got it all installed, except for the area over each door. I got the plastic rails all bolted down, but now I can't get the top to pull down and snap into the rails over each door. Is there a trick to doing this? I also assume you have to do this every time you want to use the sunrider function.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
for mine I just keep the sun rider area open, and just gently pull that forward evenly until the clips on the bow click in place, not sure if the 4 door is any different then a 2 door however....YMMV

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
When the top is new, getting the edge clipped into the door surrounds can be challenging. Most of the time on my TJ's Trektop NX, I leave them unclipped. Even when driving in the rain, you will have enough pressure in the cabin area escaping that gap to keep the rain out. They will flap a bit which may be disconcerting.

Park it in the sun and clip one side first then when the top is good and warm pull on the top and get the plastic edge started into the groove and you should then be able to leverage the outside edge down enough to slip into place. However, you will then find that it will be all but impossible to get them out to flip the sunrider back or put the top down. For the first six months of my new top, I had to keep a trim tool in the center console to slip under the edge and pry the edge out of the groove. Once I got one side out, I could generally pull the other side out. It will get easier with time. My new top has been on for almost a year and for the last several months I have been able to get the sides unclipped with just pulling hard on the edge.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I had the same problem with the first install of a 2007 top on my wife's 15 JKUR. I made sure that the header latches were connected but not latched, then pulled the sail panel down and tucked them into the belt rail at the back. Then pulled the header latches. Really tight at first but it will loosen up after a few tries. Same thing with the Premium top that I replaced it with.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I recently bought a gently used soft top for my 2010 JKU. Got it all installed, except for the area over each door. I got the plastic rails all bolted down, but now I can't get the top to pull down and snap into the rails over each door. Is there a trick to doing this? I also assume you have to do this every time you want to use the sunrider function.
What I would do is leave the rear sail panels loose, preferably without windows installed. Then I'd click the top down into the door surround locks. Next are the clamps over the windshield into the footman loops. Lastly, the sail panels get pulled down to the tub rails. Often there is a 4 inch or more gap, so it's a bit of a tug to get them down and clipped in.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I can't even picture what you're talking about. Post some pictures.

Mine doesn't snap into anything over the doors. It sits on top of the plastic pieces but there's no attachment there. It only attaches at the front.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I can't even picture what you're talking about. Post some pictures.

Mine doesn't snap into anything over the doors. It sits on top of the plastic pieces but there's no attachment there. It only attaches at the front.
He's talking about getting the top to seat into the sunrider latch where a metal pin in the door surround goes through a matching hole in the frame. I've attached a picture from my owners manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Ah. I know they changed the design at some point. Mine's a 2015 and doesn't have that. Mine just has a little hook that's easy to catch it on.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Yes, I think in 07-09 tops, you had to clip the top to the surrounds instead of it being held tight with a cable.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When the top is new, getting the edge clipped into the door surrounds can be challenging. Most of the time on my TJ's Trektop NX, I leave them unclipped. Even when driving in the rain, you will have enough pressure in the cabin area escaping that gap to keep the rain out. They will flap a bit which may be disconcerting.

Park it in the sun and clip one side first then when the top is good and warm pull on the top and get the plastic edge started into the groove and you should then be able to leverage the outside edge down enough to slip into place. However, you will then find that it will be all but impossible to get them out to flip the sunrider back or put the top down. For the first six months of my new top, I had to keep a trim tool in the center console to slip under the edge and pry the edge out of the groove. Once I got one side out, I could generally pull the other side out. It will get easier with time. My new top has been on for almost a year and for the last several months I have been able to get the sides unclipped with just pulling hard on the edge.
Since this top does not have a cable for tension, I assume it is from a 07-09 JKU. Since this is Texas and it is still almost 100 today, I shouldn't have any problems getting the top good and warm to stretch it. Wondering how much rain will get in if I just leave them unclipped over the doors. Biggest gap seems to be directly over the middle door frame. Going on vacation in a couple of weeks to Hot Springs and would really love to use the Sunrider or top all the way back.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it looks like the top I thought was a great bargain might not be. The reason I was having so many problems attaching the top over the doors is that it is a 2007-2009 top, but the door headers are for the 2010 up. p/n 05182829AF. I am sure the guy I bought the top from probably ordered the wrong parts. After all my research I can see where it would be very easy to order the wrong parts. I know he said he never installed it. I don't see anybody that sells the old style door headers. Since it is also a 2007-2009 frame it does not have any of the cable hardware. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Only suggestion I can think of is to put some wanted ads out and hope someone with a wrecked top will sell the old hardware you need. Check the local wreckers as well?

The newer tops are nicer but getting one obviously negates all the money you've already spent.

You could also just bite the bullet and get a new one and sell the one you have to someone that's torn or otherwise damaged theirs and doesn't need the hardware.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, it looks like the top I thought was a great bargain might not be. The reason I was having so many problems attaching the top over the doors is that it is a 2007-2009 top, but the door headers are for the 2010 up. p/n 05182829AF. I am sure the guy I bought the top from probably ordered the wrong parts. After all my research I can see where it would be very easy to order the wrong parts. I know he said he never installed it. I don't see anybody that sells the old style door headers. Since it is also a 2007-2009 frame it does not have any of the cable hardware. Any suggestions.
Just replaced my neighbors top with a post 2010 top and hardware- He has the old hardware and top listed on facebook marketplace- the top isnt in great condition and the hardware is older and has some fading but he only wants $100. He might be willing to ship since we are in arkansas and your in texas.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2414089382165998/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts