Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

2881 - 2900 of 2936 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Had my Supertop Ultra installed Friday. Purchased from Bestop when they were offering free home install. Very happy with purchase and installer!
Like that #3 on your door.
he was the best ever

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
Had my Supertop Ultra installed Friday. Purchased from Bestop when they were offering free home install. Very happy with purchase and installer!
That top really looks good.

While I wouldn't put a soft top on my Chief because the tops don't come in white and the white top is part of the retro design, if I ever get another four door I don't think I will go with another hard top. I really like the Sunrider feature.

Yes, I know you can take the Freedom panels off, but they are a bit of hassle to get back on just right so they won't leak. My top doesn't leak, so I'm not going to mess with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, I know you can take the Freedom panels off, but they are a bit of hassle to get back on just right so they won't leak. My top doesn't leak, so I'm not going to mess with it.
Thanks!

I was taking the freedom panels off pretty much every other day and never had an issue realigning them. I also installed a manual hoist in my garage to remove the top but liking the convenience of the soft top, especially when we head south in a couple months for Jeep Week.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ultra

Very nice top. I'm still deciding between the Ultra and Supertop NX. Are others in the forum also sporting the Ultra, and have you driven with it in the full folded back position? Seems the Ultra sits higher, about level with the top of the stock AT spare. Wondering how the view is out the back.

I do like the options it has and the ease that it folds to sunrider, safari, and back.

Thanks!
Gary

·
Registered
30 Posts
Very nice top. I'm still deciding between the Ultra and Supertop NX. Are others in the forum also sporting the Ultra, and have you driven with it in the full folded back position? Seems the Ultra sits higher, about level with the top of the stock AT spare. Wondering how the view is out the back.

I do like the options it has and the ease that it folds to sunrider, safari, and back.

Thanks!
Gary
Thanks!
I have not put the top down just yet; was told not to for a week or so and just too damn cold...LOL. I was oringally going to have the top installed in March but I was doing some mods and the barn was warm so figured I'd get it done earlier. I plan on playing with it this weekend so I can let you know. The original video showed it folding all the way down. When he was installing it, it was in the collasped position and almost sitting on the tailgate - in face the spare tire was taller so thinking it should be good on visiabilty. Definitely beats the wiper box blind spot I had from the hardtop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks!
I have not put the top down just yet; was told not to for a week or so and just too damn cold...LOL. I was oringally going to have the top installed in March but I was doing some mods and the barn was warm so figured I'd get it done earlier. I plan on playing with it this weekend so I can let you know. The original video showed it folding all the way down. When he was installing it, it was in the collasped position and almost sitting on the tailgate - in face the spare tire was taller so thinking it should be good on visiabilty. Definitely beats the wiper box blind spot I had from the hardtop.
Thanks for the info! My plan (so far lol) is to use hard top in winter (curse you wiper box!) and soft in summer. Last two summers I've run with no top or doors. Works when I can keep in garage and drive car when raining, but that car caught fire 2 weeks ago :rip: so will need the soft top option. Good luck with it this weekend!

·
Vendor
5,450 Posts
Do you recommend the Ultra? Has anyone installed the Ultra themselves and was it a pain in the ass to do it???
I can't speak to the recommendation question but installation is considered difficult as the guide tracks and other parts make it pretty complicated. If you like to do your own work it should be doable but if you don't have the time, tools, or find stuff like this a bit much I'd recommend our home installation service or having a local shop install for you (we have installation rebates available right now for both home and local shop installations if you need them).

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Do you recommend the Ultra? Has anyone installed the Ultra themselves and was it a pain in the ass to do it???
I have the Ultra, received it a couple of weeks ago. I may have time to start putting the pieces together on my workbench but won't be able to get to installing the top until April, just too many things going on and it is still cold.

I watched the install video from Bestop:

I thought at one time, Extreme Terrain had one posted as well, but cannot find it. I really felt that I can handle this, as long as I can set aside the time. I didn't opt for home installation, since it was still $150 out of pocket with the discounted install at the time, and I have a heated shop space available that I can use.

I will be happy to follow up after the install.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Ultra, received it a couple of weeks ago. I may have time to start putting the pieces together on my workbench but won't be able to get to installing the top until April, just too many things going on and it is still cold.

I watched the install video from Bestop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnGGEbt_khE

I thought at one time, Extreme Terrain had one posted as well, but cannot find it. I really felt that I can handle this, as long as I can set aside the time. I didn't opt for home installation, since it was still $150 out of pocket with the discounted install at the time, and I have a heated shop space available that I can use.

I will be happy to follow up after the install.
Yeah let me know how the finished product turned out. I am in the same boat as you and don't wanna dish out the extra money if I can do it myself but like you it is still too cold here to do an install at home. I don't have a heated workspace and I don't think hitting it with a heat gun will help. Hoping maybe end of the month/beginning of April I can look into it. Just have to hide the receipt from the wife.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just got the Bestop Supertop NX Twill for my wife's 2008 2 door. The top is very high quality and we are very happy. However, putting it on is a bit of a struggle. The top is very tight, and they don't recommend installation below 70*. It was 40* in NH that day, so I put the car in the garage and turned on the heater, which does get it up to 70. The top is so tight that once on, it's hard to put the side windows in or even get the top to fit into the channels at the rear of the doors. I left the car in the garage overnight to let the top stretch, and the next day it was still too tight to install. There was no way that the side window would both fit the zipper and the channel on the rear of the door, even with the rear corners free. Even as far forward as it would go, the tension on the rear bow was too great. I ended up using a tubing cutter to cut 3/4" off each end of the curved rear bow, and then I was able to get everything to fit. If the top loosens up a bit, I have a few inches of rearward adjustment still that I can use to tighten it, and I kept the 3/4" rings I made as spacers if I ever need to put them back, but I really doubt that. The instructions are good, but watching a few videos online helped a lot.

Edit -sorry, I said it was "ultra" - it was not, apparently It is a supertop NX in Twill. Very nice, though.

·
Registered
364 Posts
While I wouldn't put a soft top on my Chief because the tops don't come in white and the white top is part of the retro design.
It's not bad. Also, I think Bestop was selling tops in other colors. Thought white was one - maybe not. Funny how white tops come and go. They were an option on the YJs and the early TJs.

Here's my Chief with a black soft top. It's an OEM premium top. Twill.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
Yes, at times the YJ was available with a white top, but only from the factory. I don't remember ever seeing a Bestop white replace-a-top.

I wish they had white as an available color, it would be much cooler in the deep south. Our winter is measured in days not months and our summer seems to last from the 1st of April to the 1st of December.

I love my Chief and I get a lot of comments and was was asked if an admirer could take a photo which I agreed to (his wife had see one of them and was telling him about it). There are only two in south central Georgia. I have only seen one other on the road and that was on a trip. Yours is the only soft top I have even seen a picture of.
These wheels are sorely tempting. The original Cherokee Chief (the one our Chiefs are trimmed like) had the white spoke steel wheels as an option.

If I get them, I'll post a picture of them installed.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Yes, at times the YJ was available with a white top, but only from the factory. I don't remember ever seeing a Bestop white replace-a-top.

I wish they had white as an available color, it would be much cooler in the deep south. Our winter is measured in days not months and our summer seems to last from the 1st of April to the 1st of December.
Bestop offered a white top for a short period of time, there are a few floating around yet.

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
Wow. If I still had a YJ with soft top, I would be sorely tempted on this. It would be so much cooler here in the south. My only concern would be how well the windows held up in the box in storage over the years.

Of course when I was looking for a replacement top in '93 for my '91 the only reference we had in those days were catalogs, and never saw it listed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
With warm weather approaching, I ordered a replacement rear soft top window for my mopar softtop (from Master Top) to keep as a spare. I roll my rear window a lot and will be rolling it up to put the top down. Rather than worry about cleaning, scratching, creasing and damage - I figured just keep a new spare. When it scratched to death, cracks or whatever, I will pop on the new one. Why spend time, energy and money trying to preserve the inevitable on the original window? :)

2881 - 2900 of 2936 Posts