Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

2901 - 2920 of 2936 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
Are you sure it will fit? You should call the location where you ordered it from and make sure they guarantee it will fit. Different manufacturers use slightly different patterns and zippers. Bestop makes the OEM top, not Mastertop. Even with Bestop, if I wanted a window for my OEM Mopar top, I would call their customer service and see if they offer one and order it directly from them.

I would likewise call Bestop to order a replacement window for my Bestop Trektop NX. Yes, I would pay a bit more, but I would then have confidence it would fit.

I know for a fact that the rear window on the Smittybilt replacement top that was on my TJ when I bought it and the Bestop Replace-A-Top I put on two months later had different sized rear windows (not by much) but more importantly the size and count of the zipper teeth were different.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are you sure it will fit? You should call the location where you ordered it from and make sure they guarantee it will fit. Different manufacturers use slightly different patterns and zippers. Bestop makes the OEM top, not Mastertop. Even with Bestop, if I wanted a window for my OEM Mopar top, I would call their customer service and see if they offer one and order it directly from them.

I would likewise call Bestop to order a replacement window for my Bestop Trektop NX. Yes, I would pay a bit more, but I would then have confidence it would fit.

I know for a fact that the rear window on the Smittybilt replacement top that was on my TJ when I bought it and the Bestop Replace-A-Top I put on two months later had different sized rear windows (not by much) but more importantly the size and count of the zipper teeth were different.
I will check with them! Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I confirmed fitment (I have it now). Zips right on to OEM softtop.

For $85, seemed to make more sense to simply keep a spare soft top rear window rather than spending time and money attempting to preserve the current rear window. It is a losing battle. Having the spare rear window frees you to simply roll the old rear window when you put the top down, let it get scratched, etc. Takes the fun out of it to have to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
I always take all the windows out to put the top down, including the rear window. In the TJ with the standard framed top, I just would slide the windows in between the front seats and the tumbled rear seat. Now with the Trektop NX when I take them out, I slide the stiffeners out of the corners of the side windows, roll the three windows up with the stiffeners on the outside and put cloth bungees around the bundle and lay it in the back. Putting towels in between the windows when rolling protects them as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
About a year or so ago Bestop changed the design of the Trektop NX. I currently own the old style, and either replace my windows due to hail damage or replace the entire top. I am quite happy with the top, but would not mind everything new, and that new style fold back sunroof. However; some of the issues worry me. The multitude of issues like gap between back window and trunk, the buffeting, leaking, the inconvenience of removing the top for a topless day, etc have me spooked. My current "old style" Trektop has some leaking (likely not due to the top), but nothing like what I find online.

Can anyone with experience owning both style Trektops advise on sticking with the old vs going with the new? Anyone with a new style wishing they had the old one again?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I have a Trektop NX and I'm looking for a Used factory soft top for my 13' JKU because I want the entire top to go down. I guess this is a generic question but... should I pay more for one that looks like it was never used or get one that looks like it's in good shape and used for 1/2 the price and gamble? I've heard that these tops start leaking after a while, wondering if it's worth the gamble. I also see several tops that have known issues that I could get and maybe piece together to save money...

To be honest, if I wasn't laid off right now I wouldn't be pinching pennies, but unfortunately that's the reality today.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have a Trektop NX and I'm looking for a Used factory soft top for my 13' JKU because I want the entire top to go down. I guess this is a generic question but... should I pay more for one that looks like it was never used or get one that looks like it's in good shape and used for 1/2 the price and gamble? I've heard that these tops start leaking after a while, wondering if it's worth the gamble. I also see several tops that have known issues that I could get and maybe piece together to save money...

To be honest, if I wasn't laid off right now I wouldn't be pinching pennies, but unfortunately that's the reality today.
I don’t know what the used one looks like but mine is 5 years old and is holding up great. No leaks still looks good. If the used looks good I wouldn’t hesitate buying one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
Have you considered just rolling up the TT NX? Here's a video of how one owner just rolled up his (with soft pads to protect the windows.

He was topless in just a few minutes. Probably take longer the first time you do it. I have never done it because I have the TJ version. But I was fascinated by this process the first time I saw it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I utilized the above video method and had no issues. I would lay the side/rear windows in the back of my JK with terry towels in between. If you want a top off feel you have two options. One, roll rear forward with windows out and tuck under folded back sunrider. Everything is now over the soundbar. Two, roll top forward as in option one, release the two spring release bars over the front doors, and have someone assist in just propping it up against the wall, on a table, or on the floor.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Have you considered just rolling up the TT NX? Here's a video of how one owner just rolled up his (with soft pads to protect the windows.

He was topless in just a few minutes. Probably take longer the first time you do it. I have never done it because I have the TJ version. But I was fascinated by this process the first time I saw it.

That's a lot of work... would rather spend the money and get the factory top that does what I want it to in seconds. If you had it completely down like this and a rain storm came along... you it would be a disaster. At least with the factory top you can have it up in a jiffy.

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
If you have ever had a factory top, it doesn't go down in seconds, at least the one on my TJ didn't. By the time you have removed the three windows alone and put them somewhere besides just dropped on the ground, I would estimate that several minutes have gone by.

It may be a little faster to fold it down than completely remove the TT NX, but - you don't really have to completely remove it, and with the Sunrider flipped back and on the JKU the rear portion rolled forward, you have excellent vision out the back rather than the bunched up top and frame.

While I have had the TT NX on now for almost two years, I have never taken it completely off. Down here in S. Georgia, I won't go topless for the simple reason that I want the ability to flip the Sunrider back forward when I have had enough sun.

However, that just my 2 cents. To each their own.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
This might demonstrate the difference in speed. Yes, the windows still take a similar amount of time but that's normal. Looks like this guy does the full take down and Raise in about the same time as the guy in the Trektop NX video does to just take it down.

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
I like the selective edits as well. When putting it down, he laid the windows off to one side, but then later they magically appeared in the back of the Jeep.

But - here's the big but - he didn't take the top off. But, then, I don't take the Trektop NX off either. I flip the Sunrider back and remove the windows. The whole point is then I don't have to mess with folding the top back and trying to get the fabric bunched correctly to get the frame down further (which he didn't either). On the Trektop NX, the top actually stays up, but only covers from the back of my front seats back (2 Dr TJ) and on the JKU covers from the back of the second row seat backs back to the turn down on the sport bar.

The huge advantage I got when I went to the Trektop NX was the Sunrider. I can just flip it back, leaving the windows in and get most of the open air feeling. Then when I want to close it up in a hurry, (in a quick sprinkle for example) it takes literally seconds to close up. Even with the rear windows out, flipping it closed gives shade to the front seats. Last fall in a group of Jeeps waiting for a parade, most were topless, some of them, had sunshades instead of tops, I just used the feature of the Trektop NX and flipped it closed.

But then, that's the beauty of a Jeep. So many configurations almost the only place to find a bone stock Jeep is on the dealer's lot and then only when new.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
This is supposedly the soft top from a 2010, is it complete? I don't remember if there were 2 boxes or 1 with my Dual Top option on my 13' (I sold the soft top after I bought it). Did they put the brackets and door surrounds in with the windows? Now reading the pic it says on the box it's the windows only.

They're selling for $300 CDN.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
I think there is supposed to be one more box.
message them. Maybe they missed taking the pic of it.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I think there is supposed to be one more box.
message them. Maybe they missed taking the pic of it.
Okay, Lady now says there's 2 boxes. If that's the case, I'll pay $300 CDN ($216 US) for a brand new top... I know this is the older top from 2010 but if the hardware is complete, I don't believe there would be any issues on my 13'.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Obviously check on JK vs JKU.
Do you have the metal brackets that mount to the roll bar already? If not, get them.
If JKU, there are 6 knobs that hold down the door frames. 4 long and 2 short.
it looks like the tailgate bar is in the picture.
you will also need the tailgate bar retainer clips.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Obviously check on JK vs JKU.
Do you have the metal brackets that mount to the roll bar already? If not, get them.
If JKU, there are 6 knobs that hold down the door frames. 4 long and 2 short.
it looks like the tailgate bar is in the picture.
you will also need the tailgate bar retainer clips.
I would be under the assumption that the metal brackets would be in the hardware box, no? I have a Trektop NX with full hardware as well if anything is swappable. I'll open the boxes and make sure.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
The metal brackets that mount to the roll bar are probably still installed on the ladies Jeep.
Most people forget to remove them when they go to sell the soft top.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The metal brackets that mount to the roll bar are probably still installed on the ladies Jeep.
Most people forget to remove them when they go to sell the soft top.
How much to source them if they're not there and did they change over the years?

2901 - 2920 of 2936 Posts