Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

2921 - 2939 of 2939 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
The 2007 through 2012 brackets are $26.99 each on quadratec.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Okay, I bought this from a Lady who said she just traded in her 2010 JKU for a new Dodge Ram... she was asking $1000 Canadian, but I haggled pretty hard when I found out it was the older top. At first didn't realize the hardware was included and said I wasn't interested. She later said there were 2 boxes and we agreed to $300 CDN, cash and carry. People have been asking $750-1000 for the newer top, brand new. She lived out in the country so I went for a little ride... Tell me if I have everything, but it looks to me that everything is untouched, still in the box, with the brackets still attached. Top is from a 10', my JKU is a 13'.

https://i.imgur.com/adJyul8.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/oRm7PlI.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/164Iis5.jpg?1

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
hard to tell with the plastic.
did you get the retaining bolts for the door surrounds?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yes, 6 of them wrapped up in the 5th pic.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Sorry, I can’t see the fifth pic

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
Typically on a dual top installation, the clips that mount on the sport bar and installed on the Jeep at the factory. That one appears to have the clips on the bows. If you plan to alternate tops, you might want to invest in the quick release knuckles. The ones that come from the factory have a screw to remove the knuckle from the clip. (You have to remove the clips from the top bow knuckles in order to mount the clips anyway.

Here is what they look like. This image is from Quadratec (I don't know if they have a Canadian site or not, and not sure if they ship to Canada). Bestop also has them but they are much more - $42 US for a pair.

The quick release keeps you from losing the screws. I believe the quick release knob is best pointed inward, while the screw type mounts with the screw outward. You might want to check the parts bag for the screw that mounts the clips on to the sport bar. They should be M6x1x20 self tapping. The Mopar part no. is 6503259

If you can't find them at a local hardware store it will be cheaper to buy them from a dealer (if he has them) than from an online Mopar parts store since they charge shipping.

·
Banned
5 Posts
The ride is quite rough due to the stiff suspension.
The interior isn't as roomy as comparable SUVs because they stick to the old design.
The driving experience is not like a usual truck.
It feels like you could flip over on turns because the wheel base is narrow and short. Different models may vary.
An old wrangler is a pretty rough ride.
Also road noise can be quite prominent with knobby tires.

It's a love it or hate it kind of thing.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Typically on a dual top installation, the clips that mount on the sport bar and installed on the Jeep at the factory. That one appears to have the clips on the bows. If you plan to alternate tops, you might want to invest in the quick release knuckles. The ones that come from the factory have a screw to remove the knuckle from the clip. (You have to remove the clips from the top bow knuckles in order to mount the clips anyway.

Here is what they look like. This image is from Quadratec (I don't know if they have a Canadian site or not, and not sure if they ship to Canada). Bestop also has them but they are much more - $42 US for a pair.

The quick release keeps you from losing the screws. I believe the quick release knob is best pointed inward, while the screw type mounts with the screw outward. You might want to check the parts bag for the screw that mounts the clips on to the sport bar. They should be M6x1x20 self tapping. The Mopar part no. is 6503259

If you can't find them at a local hardware store it will be cheaper to buy them from a dealer (if he has them) than from an online Mopar parts store since they charge shipping.
Guess what I'm missing to bolt it onto the roll bar... looks like I'm going to have to call my local dealers and see if they have any in stock.

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
Check through your parts bag first. Look also at the outside of the clips (toward the top itself) and see if there are any screw marks around the holes. If not, the screws may be in the parts bag.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Check through your parts bag first. Look also at the outside of the clips (toward the top itself) and see if there are any screw marks around the holes. If not, the screws may be in the parts bag.
They're not anywhere to be found. They were lost or left on the Jeep the person sold. I'm debating finding the same size screw and to see if it'll work with a lock washer (would cost about $3). Rock Auto wants $48 CDN shipped to me for the Mopar original and the Dealer parts dept is closed for the weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
Wow, less than 9 hours, you acquired some appropriate screws and got the top on. Good Job. Looks good.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Do the rear flaps ever come out of the grooves at highway speeds? I was driving on a windy day today (in Safari Top form like pictured) and they were pulsating in the rear, but held.

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
Actually with the windows all out because of the sail panels (corners) that is generally referred to as Stagecoach mode. Top completely off is topless and top completely off and doors off is driving naked.

When I had a traditional framed top on my TJ, I never had an issue with the sail panels coming out. In fact, with the header bar latched, I think you would have a hard time getting the panels unhooked. The wind pressure is pushing on the panels which has a tendency to pull them straight up from the bottom rather down and out which is the pressure needed to get them loose.

Next time you have the Jeep in the drive in that mode, it would be interesting to see if you can get them loose with the header bar latched.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Do the rear flaps ever come out of the grooves at highway speeds? I was driving on a windy day today (in Safari Top form like pictured) and they were pulsating in the rear, but held.
I do this a lot and haven’t had an issue. That said I constantly watch cause I feel like it’s gonna fly off. I worry that they will stretch out too but 5 years in and it’s still all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
So, I have the OEM standard top since purchasing the Jeep in 2014 (2012 model year), and the rear window has the most trouble getting installed/removed.

I've been thinking about possibly adding a strip of velcro along the edge and using that as attaching to the rest of the top. Has anyone tried something similar?

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
When I had a full soft top on my TJ, I always put the rear window in first. That is not the way the instructions say to do it, but I found that process positioned the sail panels better. I would then put the side windows in starting the zipper along the top, then putting the front edge in the door surround groove, then zipping on down the back.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
So, I have the OEM standard top since purchasing the Jeep in 2014 (2012 model year), and the rear window has the most trouble getting installed/removed.

I've been thinking about possibly adding a strip of velcro along the edge and using that as attaching to the rest of the top. Has anyone tried something similar?
I put the windows in after letting them heat up in the sun, in the Sunshine (soft top material will expand) and with the front clamps connected but not secured. Once the windows are zipped in, I close the front latches.

Works on my Trektop NX and the new OEM soft top I just got.

2921 - 2939 of 2939 Posts