Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

2981 - 3000 of 3035 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Bestop 79847-17 Twill Replace-a-top Soft Top with Tinted Windows without Doors in Black for 10-18 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door

I can buy this on FB Marketplace for $600. Supposedly only used for 6 months. The top is $1K new. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
The Replace-A-Top is easy to check out. It has 14 pieces - the top fabric, 3 windows and 2 "elastic garters". There are 8 other items that may be on the other Jeep. If he is not going to be using a soft top, you might talk him out of the frame, header bar, TG bar and door surrounds (with knobs). After all, spares are always handy.

When I had my TJ painted, I took off the soft top. I discovered the frame was worn badly (it was 15 years old) which gave me the excuse to go to a Trektop NX. A fellow member of the forum was trying to find help for his top, so for the cost of postage, I sent him the top, windows, TG bar, clips, header bar and a couple of door surround knobs. I would probably have listed it for sale, but the fabric and windows although in great shape were 4 years old at the time. He has now been enjoying it for the last two years.

Here is the instruction sheet for that top. This way you will know exactly what to look for:

·
Registered
50 Posts
OT: I wish Bestop would come out with a version of the JL soft top for the JK. I love the ease of removing the back windows and the safari style without having the ribs of material in the back corners.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Actually they do. In fact, the JL soft top uses a lot of features that were first found on the Trektop NX Glide. No zippers, all the windows slide on.

Here is a brief review of the Trektop NX Glide.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Actually they do. In fact, the JL soft top uses a lot of features that were first found on the Trektop NX Glide. No zippers, all the windows slide on.

Here is a brief review of the Trektop NX Glide.
Hmmm, all I see is the “fastback” style top which I can’t stand. Do they offer it in the traditional shape? I can’t find it on their site.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
No. All the Trektops are the fastback style. The style does take some getting used to. At first I didn't like it either, but it grew on me. At first I thought I didn't like giving up the space that was cut off, but I realized I never load anything in that area anyway.

I like the frameless aspect of the top as well on my TJ.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No. All the Trektops are the fastback style. The style does take some getting used to. At first I didn't like it either, but it grew on me. At first I thought I didn't like giving up the space that was cut off, but I realized I never load anything in that area anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like that top has some great features.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like that top has some great features.
I do not like that when I got a trektop nx for my jk, it did not have the traditional fold up capability. I much prefer the oe style but the cost for a full setup was twice as high. I am watching for deals though, sooner or later I will replace it with oe. Srill prefer either over the hard top. I live in NH and DD my jk, haven't bothered to put the top back on since I put the trektop on 2 years ago

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
One thing I like about the Trektop NX, at least on my TJ, is the fact that when the rear and side windows are out and the top flipped back there is only a little bit of top still covering the Jeep (over the rear seat area). I also have much greater visibility out the larger rear window than I did with the OEM style top. Of course on the JK/JKU with the larger tire that may not be the case.

However, on at least the JKU, with the Trektop NX you can roll up the rear of the top, then flip the Sunrider back and there is even less top remaining and if you want, at that point, you can actually take the top off, far easier than you can with the full frame and top.

Reactions: Teasip

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, I’m looking to buy a soft top. I’m thinking the Bestop sail cloth replace-a-top sounds like a nice way to go. But I don’t have the OEM hardware/bow. I would have to purchase and install a kit. Can I just go with any OEM-style bow kit?

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
First - there is only one OEM hardware assembly and it comes with the Jeep (if purchased with a soft top) unless you order the Mopar complete top for $2250. If yours came with a hard top and want a soft top as close to OEM as you can get, the only one is the Bestop Supertop NX. It is a complete top with frame and detailed instructions. On the Quadratec website it is listed at $1150 for the '07-'18 JK. The Bestop Replace-A-Top is $650 and the full Bestop frame is $705, so you see the complete top will save you $200.

As I stated in my earlier post, I like the Trektop NX. Of course my TJ came without the optional (on the TJ) Sunrider, so gaining the flip back front section (over the front seats) was a big plus for me, along with not having the top fabric and frame folded back to sit atop the rear. Of course on the JKs, there isn't much visibility to the rear anyway, but on the TJ, the Trektop NX vastly improved the rear visibility with the top "down". I put it in quotes, for when the windows are removed and the Sunrider flippled back, you only have a shot section of top over the back portion of the Jeep. It doesn't actually go down. The Trektop NX

Since you are relatively new to the forum, don't forget to call Quadratec's Customer Service and ask for a quote on your first order and mention you are a WF member and ask to be set up for their discount for WF members. I wish I had known about it when I ordered my TJ Replace-A-Top in 2014.

·
Registered
19 Posts
First - there is only one OEM hardware assembly and it comes with the Jeep (if purchased with a soft top) unless you order the Mopar complete top for $2250. If yours came with a hard top and want a soft top as close to OEM as you can get, the only one is the Bestop Supertop NX. It is a complete top with frame and detailed instructions. On the Quadratec website it is listed at $1150 for the '07-'18 JK. The Bestop Replace-A-Top is $650 and the full Bestop frame is $705, so you see the complete top will save you $200.

As I stated in my earlier post, I like the Trektop NX. Of course my TJ came without the optional (on the TJ) Sunrider, so gaining the flip back front section (over the front seats) was a big plus for me, along with not having the top fabric and frame folded back to sit atop the rear. Of course on the JKs, there isn't much visibility to the rear anyway, but on the TJ, the Trektop NX vastly improved the rear visibility with the top "down". I put it in quotes, for when the windows are removed and the Sunrider flippled back, you only have a shot section of top over the back portion of the Jeep. It doesn't actually go down. The Trektop NX

Since you are relatively new to the forum, don't forget to call Quadratec's Customer Service and ask for a quote on your first order and mention you are a WF member and ask to be set up for their discount for WF members. I wish I had known about it when I ordered my TJ Replace-A-Top in 2014.
Let me start by saying that nothing I write is meant to be snarky or snippy. Sorry if anything reads that way. I’ve been told it sometimes does.

I’m fully aware that OEM is OEM. Anything else is just an aftermarket “copy” that may not be equal in quality and/or function. I probably should have been more detailed with my original comment.

I was just wondering if the sail cloth top would work with any of the other brands of hardware kits, or if there was some proprietary reason I would have to buy the Bestop kit. I considered the Supertop NX, and I still would, but I was under the impression the sail cloth top would be quieter and more durable. Is this not the case? If not, the Supertop NX would certainly be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
I did not take your post as snarky in any way. I read it as someone not that familiar with soft tops and looking for information.

Most frames come from a manufacturer with the fabric, windows, frame bows, header bar, TG bar, door surrounds and other parts necessary for installation. Few manufacturers offer just the frame without the fabric and windows. Now, when I use the term "frame" that is the actual frame, fittings, door surrounds, header bar, TG bar, etc.

There are two fabric sources. Sailcloth and Twill. Sailcloth can be had in different thicknesses, Bestop's is among the thickest. Most budget brands are much thinner. Twill is heavier than sailcloth as most often it is triple layer vs dual layer in sailcloth. It is also a much darker black and very smooth. Think of the convertible tops on a BMW for example. However, the downside is they are much more expensive. The Bestop Supertop NX in twill is $400 more than the sailcloth Supertop NX. The Mopar and Bestop tops when installed are relatively quiet (no soft top is as quiet as a hard top, but I don't find it that much louder, comparing my TJ soft top with my JKU hardtop).

If you have a functional frame, it is very cost effective to purchase a replacement top. Some manufacturers only offer replacement tops as it takes less engineering and development. Bestop has manufactured the OEM Jeep tops for at least the last 30 years.

However, I made two errors in my previous post. When I looked at the Mopar listing on Quadratec's website, I grabbed the price for my post but failed to notice that the $2240 top was for the JKU. For the JK the Quadratec price is $1560 with no charge for shipping. However, I did not check the Mopar online sites, as they are generally less that what it would cost from a dealer but more than Quadratec. The Mopar 82213649 Soft top with Sunrider is less (even with the shipping) on the online Mopar sites I checked than Quadratec (even with the discount). The best price I found is MyMoparParts (the online store associated with Dallas Dodge) for the JK standard (sailcloth) complete top is $1080 plus an estimated $227 shipping.

I have found mymoparparts.com slightly below other online mopar sites, especially when you consider the full price of part plus shipping. In this case, one other site as slightly above for the part but the shipping was more than $100 more. The shipping cost is high because of the large box and weight.

Here is a link to the Mopar instructions:

Apparently now that the JL is out, the demand for full top kits (with frame) has diminished. I hope this helps you rather than confuses you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did not take your post as snarky in any way. I read it as someone not that familiar with soft tops and looking for information.

Most frames come from a manufacturer with the fabric, windows, frame bows, header bar, TG bar, door surrounds and other parts necessary for installation. Few manufacturers offer just the frame without the fabric and windows. Now, when I use the term "frame" that is the actual frame, fittings, door surrounds, header bar, TG bar, etc.

There are two fabric sources. Sailcloth and Twill. Sailcloth can be had in different thicknesses, Bestop's is among the thickest. Most budget brands are much thinner. Twill is heavier than sailcloth as most often it is triple layer vs dual layer in sailcloth. It is also a much darker black and very smooth. Think of the convertible tops on a BMW for example. However, the downside is they are much more expensive. The Bestop Supertop NX in twill is $400 more than the sailcloth Supertop NX. The Mopar and Bestop tops when installed are relatively quiet (no soft top is as quiet as a hard top, but I don't find it that much louder, comparing my TJ soft top with my JKU hardtop).

If you have a functional frame, it is very cost effective to purchase a replacement top. Some manufacturers only offer replacement tops as it takes less engineering and development. Bestop has manufactured the OEM Jeep tops for at least the last 30 years.

However, I made two errors in my previous post. When I looked at the Mopar listing on Quadratec's website, I grabbed the price for my post but failed to notice that the $2240 top was for the JKU. For the JK the Quadratec price is $1560 with no charge for shipping. However, I did not check the Mopar online sites, as they are generally less that what it would cost from a dealer but more than Quadratec. The Mopar 82213649 Soft top with Sunrider is less (even with the shipping) on the online Mopar sites I checked than Quadratec (even with the discount). The best price I found is MyMoparParts (the online store associated with Dallas Dodge) for the JK standard (sailcloth) complete top is $1080 plus an estimated $227 shipping.

I have found mymoparparts.com slightly below other online mopar sites, especially when you consider the full price of part plus shipping. In this case, one other site as slightly above for the part but the shipping was more than $100 more. The shipping cost is high because of the large box and weight.

Here is a link to the Mopar instructions:

Apparently now that the JL is out, the demand for full top kits (with frame) has diminished. I hope this helps you rather than confuses you.
I truly appreciate your patience and help. And I have one last (I hope) question. I realize this is a subjective question, that there’s no definitive answer, but in your opinion, is it worth the extra money to go with the premium, or twill? I know there are tons of variables, but just generally speaking.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
In my opinion - No. When I purchased the Replace-A-Top for my TJ in 2014, I went with the black diamond (pattern) sailcloth. When I had the Jeep's exterior completely restored in 2018, the old original frame was in poor shape. I passed the 4 year old RAT off to a forum member who was trying to find a top and purchased a Treaktop NX in spice (color) sailcloth.

While Bestop does not offer the Supertop NX in any color other than black, they do offer colors in the Twill Supertop NX for another $100 to $200 depending on the color. One other advantage of the twill is that it supposedly lasts longer. I would estimate that the expected life of a Bestop sailcloth top is 8-10 years and the twill longer. The only basis I have for this is that after being on my TJ for 4 years and outside most of the time, my RAT was still in excellent shape to the point that I could not bring myself to throw it away. Instead as I said, I passed it, along with the TG bar, clips and header bar, to a WF member.

Of course any top can be damaged. I will offer the advice to never roll your rear window up using the elastic straps they tops come with (I tossed my straps without ever installing them). It's easier than removing the window, but I learned on my '91 YJ that the grime on the outside of the window will scratch the surface on the inside and the window will become hazy. If you want to roll the windows up for storage, put towels, pieces of blanket or similar under the top and roll the window up with the soft fabric so it protects the windows. You can use short bungee cords to then keep the windows rolled up. In post 2908 of this discussion (page 146) I posted a link to a YouTube video of rolling up a Trektop. Early in the video he shows rolling up the windows with protective cloths. While it is a JKU Trektop, the principle is the same.

As others have said, it's your Jeep and your money. We all add small (or large) touches to our Jeeps to make them our own. Go online and see if your local Jeep dealers have any soft top Jeeps in stock, especially if they have one with a premium soft top. Go then and look at the tops. The premium factory top is twill.

Reactions: BumbleNugz

·
Registered
19 Posts
In my opinion - No. When I purchased the Replace-A-Top for my TJ in 2014, I went with the black diamond (pattern) sailcloth. When I had the Jeep's exterior completely restored in 2018, the old original frame was in poor shape. I passed the 4 year old RAT off to a forum member who was trying to find a top and purchased a Treaktop NX in spice (color) sailcloth.

While Bestop does not offer the Supertop NX in any color other than black, they do offer colors in the Twill Supertop NX for another $100 to $200 depending on the color. One other advantage of the twill is that it supposedly lasts longer. I would estimate that the expected life of a Bestop sailcloth top is 8-10 years and the twill longer. The only basis I have for this is that after being on my TJ for 4 years and outside most of the time, my RAT was still in excellent shape to the point that I could not bring myself to throw it away. Instead as I said, I passed it, along with the TG bar, clips and header bar, to a WF member.

Of course any top can be damaged. I will offer the advice to never roll your rear window up using the elastic straps they tops come with (I tossed my straps without ever installing them). It's easier than removing the window, but I learned on my '91 YJ that the grime on the outside of the window will scratch the surface on the inside and the window will become hazy. If you want to roll the windows up for storage, put towels, pieces of blanket or similar under the top and roll the window up with the soft fabric so it protects the windows. You can use short bungee cords to then keep the windows rolled up. In post 2908 of this discussion (page 146) I posted a link to a YouTube video of rolling up a Trektop. Early in the video he shows rolling up the windows with protective cloths. While it is a JKU Trektop, the principle is the same.

As others have said, it's your Jeep and your money. We all add small (or large) touches to our Jeeps to make them our own. Go online and see if your local Jeep dealers have any soft top Jeeps in stock, especially if they have one with a premium soft top. Go then and look at the tops. The premium factory top is twill.
Not that you’re waiting with bated breath or anything, but I’ve decided to go with the OEM premium top. I found a dealer selling them for $1605.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
That's a good price and a good top.

Reactions: BumbleNugz

·
Registered
196 Posts
Missed out on my previous Bestop Replace a top. In any case, someone is selling their 2018 Jeep Wrangler JKU soft top. It's the complete top. In any case, will I have any issues putting this on my 2014 JKU?

2981 - 3000 of 3035 Posts