Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

3001 - 3020 of 3035 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
As long as it's a JKU (don't forget that the first year of the JLU and the last year of the JKU were both 2018) you shouldn't. The 2013MY was the first year of the current tops. If you have a place to store the frame, it might be sold to get some other Jeep goodies. For pricing - the Bestop RAT for the '13-'18 JKU is about $750.

·
Registered
196 Posts
As long as it's a JKU (don't forget that the first year of the JLU and the last year of the JKU were both 2018) you shouldn't. The 2013MY was the first year of the current tops. If you have a place to store the frame, it might be sold to get some other Jeep goodies. For pricing - the Bestop RAT for the '13-'18 JKU is about $750.
Awesome. Thanks. The guy is selling a premium soft top with frame and all hardware for $450. Going to take a look at it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
You realize that's close to a 2 Grand top! Unless there are major flaws, I would jump on it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You realize that's close to a 2 Grand top! Unless there are major flaws, I would jump on it.
Haha! Yes, he sent pics and it looks really good. Trying not to get too excited about it until I actually see it though. Will let you know if I get it or not. Keeping my fingers crossed all night long. 😆

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
2018 and 2014 JKU’s are completely interchangeable

·
Registered
3 Posts
So Ive got a question about an older JK soft top i have searched for here and i think i have the answer but would like to verify with you all as this is my first jeep so forgive me if this is a no brainer question.
I bought a 2007 2 door JK and the previous owner states that when i go to buy a replacement soft top, i should order one that is for 2010 - 2018. why would he say that? is the hardware different? How could i double check before i buy it?

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
There was a change in the tops between the '07-'09 and '10-'18 tops. On the Quadrtec site, they show two different tops for both the JK and JKU. If you contact Bestop customer service, they should be able to tell you. I do know that it is a difference in the frame, but I am not aware of an easy way to tell.

The previous owner (PO) probably bought the top with frame from another owner. It is not uncommon for someone to buy a Jeep of a lot that has the dual top group and is not interested in the soft top to sell it off, frame, hardware and all. (They do usually forget the brackets the top attaches to as they are installed at the factory.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What's the difference between Bestop Supertop and Supertop Ultra.. Besides the price and is it worth the price to get the ultra over the regular Supertop?

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
I had to look it up as that is a new one. It is the full install (frame, etc included) top of twill material made to the JL/JLU appearance. Looking it up on Quadratec, for the JKU the Supertop NX (sailcloth full install) for the JKU is $1250. The traditional Supertop NX Twill (softer, smoother, thicker material) is $1750 and the Ultra is $1950.

The first question you need to answer for yourself is this - is the twill material worth the extra $500? Many say yes, but I have put two tops now on my TJ and both were twill. The first one was a replacement material which I figured would last about 5 years. After 4 years in prep for painting the Jeep, I found the frame in poor shape but the fabric in good shape. I passed the fabric, windows and som frame parts onto another member several years ago. In hindsight, I would expect the sailcloth to last about 10 years. The twill might last longer than that, but the main selling point is that it is thicker so wind noise is less and it has a darker smoother appearance.

Once you get to the point where you think the twill is more desirable, then you have to decide whether the JL style is worth the extra $200.

One main difference between the traditional top and the JL style top is the lack of sail panels at the rear corner. If you remove the windows you still have the panels at the corners of the top. They did away with this on the Trektop in that the rear corners are part of the side windows (with a slide in stiffiner). Not having personal experience with a JL top, but I do with the trektop, and I do like the lack of corners when you remove the windows. Some like the Trektop angled rear window and others hate it.

If you are going to spend the $ on a new top, I would suggest you contact Quadratec, let them know that you are a WF member and get a quote on the top. They offer WF members a 5% discount on most items.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
BTW - I see in your fist discussion after joining that you say you bought a "JK". That would be a two door, and I'm not seeing the Supertop Ultra for a 2 door. Checking the Bestop site, the Supertop Ultra is only for the 4 door JKU. (The Wrangler Unlimited JK is generally abbreviated to JKU).

·
Registered
2009 JK Sport tweaked a bit.
297 Posts
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a black twill SuperTop NX for my '09 2 dr JK. Just moved to Florida and want to get a top that is easier to go topless in, I have a black diamond TrekTop that's 5+ yrs old but it's a PITA to go topless quickly.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Having had both a full traditional (OEM) top on my TJ and a Trektop NX, I think you're going in the wrong direction. While it is correct that normally the Trektop doesn't come completely off, with the windows out and the Sunrider open, there is only a small amount left. If a brief shower comes up, I can have the Sunrider closed in seconds, while you would still be trying to get the traditional top up and over. The Trektop rear window is far easier to zip up with two straight zippers along the side versus going around the corners on the Supertop (and OEM top).

Plus, If you want to take the top completely off, just unhook the two rear straps, open the straps at the B pillar cross member, disconnect the short side bows and lift it off. It will weigh less than a third of what the Supertop attached to the frame work will weigh. And, the Twill top will weigh even more since the fabric is heavier than the sailcloth.

I would advise you get with someone who has a full traditional top on frame and see what it takes to take it off, or even to put down. Plus if you don't take it off, the top is all stacked on top of the rear of the tub.

I will never go back to the full traditional top.

That's just my $0.02. It is your Jeep, and you are certainly free to ignore my input.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
When I popped over to the Quadratec website to see if the Trektop NX came in twill for the JK, I came across this new version listed. Thought you might be interested. It has apparently replaced some of the zippers with slide in features. My rear window is the only slide in on my TJ top. (Of course they aren't doing a lot of upgrades on TJ tops these days).

If you haven't registered with Quadratec as a WF member, call their customer service line and get a quote on the top. When buying a top, the 5% discount they give on most items can be significant. If you order, ask them to set you up in their system as a WF member. (They are a supporting member of the forum).

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a black twill SuperTop NX for my '09 2 dr JK. Just moved to Florida and want to get a top that is easier to go topless in, I have a black diamond TrekTop that's 5+ yrs old but it's a PITA to go topless quickly.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Having had both a full traditional (OEM) top on my TJ and a Trektop NX, I think you're going in the wrong direction. While it is correct that normally the Trektop doesn't come completely off, with the windows out and the Sunrider open, there is only a small amount left. If a brief shower comes up, I can have the Sunrider closed in seconds, while you would still be trying to get the traditional top up and over. The Trektop rear window is far easier to zip up with two straight zippers along the side versus going around the corners on the Supertop (and OEM top).

Plus, If you want to take the top completely off, just unhook the two rear straps, open the straps at the B pillar cross member, disconnect the short side bows and lift it off. It will weigh less than a third of what the Supertop attached to the frame work will weigh. And, the Twill top will weigh even more since the fabric is heavier than the sailcloth.

I would advise you get with someone who has a full traditional top on frame and see what it takes to take it off, or even to put down. Plus if you don't take it off, the top is all stacked on top of the rear of the tub.

I will never go back to the full traditional top.

That's just my $0.02. It is your Jeep, and you are certainly free to ignore my input.
This is the kind of feedback I am looking for, greatly appreciated.
When I popped over to the Quadratec website to see if the Trektop NX came in twill for the JK, I came across this new version listed. Thought you might be interested. It has apparently replaced some of the zippers with slide in features. My rear window is the only slide in on my TJ top. (Of course they aren't doing a lot of upgrades on TJ tops these days).

If you haven't registered with Quadratec as a WF member, call their customer service line and get a quote on the top. When buying a top, the 5% discount they give on most items can be significant. If you order, ask them to set you up in their system as a WF member. (They are a supporting member of the forum).
Just to be clear, as there is confusion here, @sqdnguns stated an intent to ourchase a SUPERTOP NX, @rgreen65 responded with information regarding the TREKTOP NX.
While his information is accurate to the trektop nx, it is not for the supertop, at least according to @Bestop website.
I did not realize myself when I bought my trektop nx that it lacked the full convertible feature. I am an idiot, and have regretted the purchase for that reason only as the quality and sunrider features are excellent.
The trektop nx GLIDE seems to offer full convertible for barely less $$ than the supertop nx, also fully convertible.
If I could find a way to destroy my trektop nx, I would replace it with a supertop nx. And now is the time as there seems to be some amount off, though their site is rather confusing about that part.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Bobnh - Sqdnguns like you currently has a TrektopNX on his Jeep. You do not specify JK or JKU, but for the two door, if you look closely at the photos and videos, on the Trentop Glide for the JK, the front Sunrider feature does not completely open up over the two front seats. (The Supertop NX has the same flaw). The pivot point for the Sunrider is close to the center of the front windows, which means that with the sunrider open the open section is only about 18" front to back (no I have not measured it as I have neither a Trektop Glide nor a JK softop). The TrektopNX pivot for the Sunrider is further back.

Second the one thing I did not like when I had the traditional full frame top was when down, it was bunched up over the rear tub lip. No matter how well you folded the fabric it still stuck up limiting the rear vision. The Trektop Glide has a frame and does the same thing. Granted the frame is lighter and it does not appear to stick up as much as the Supertop.

IMHO - the only thing the Glide has going for it is the lack of zippers. However, the JL tops are like that, and if you don't get the slides on perfectly, the window may blow off on the highway. There have been posts on the JL side of the forum of just that issue. I for one, really don't mind the Bestop zippers as they are study and long lasting.

As I said to sqdnguns - it is your Jeep and you are fee to put what ever top you like on it. I was just giving someone who only has had the Trektop NX that a framed top is more of a hassle to put up and down. If the weather is good and you want to go topless, simply undo the side bows from the door surrounds, the straps over the B pillar and rear and remove the Trektop NX completely. Wear lots of sunscreen.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Bobnh - Sqdnguns like you currently has a TrektopNX on his Jeep. You do not specify JK or JKU, but for the two door, if you look closely at the photos and videos, on the Trentop Glide for the JK, the front Sunrider feature does not completely open up over the two front seats. (The Supertop NX has the same flaw). The pivot point for the Sunrider is close to the center of the front windows, which means that with the sunrider open the open section is only about 18" front to back (no I have not measured it as I have neither a Trektop Glide nor a JK softop). The TrektopNX pivot for the Sunrider is further back.

Second the one thing I did not like when I had the traditional full frame top was when down, it was bunched up over the rear tub lip. No matter how well you folded the fabric it still stuck up limiting the rear vision. The Trektop Glide has a frame and does the same thing. Granted the frame is lighter and it does not appear to stick up as much as the Supertop.

IMHO - the only thing the Glide has going for it is the lack of zippers. However, the JL tops are like that, and if you don't get the slides on perfectly, the window may blow off on the highway. There have been posts on the JL side of the forum of just that issue. I for one, really don't mind the Bestop zippers as they are study and long lasting.

As I said to sqdnguns - it is your Jeep and you are fee to put what ever top you like on it. I was just giving someone who only has had the Trektop NX that a framed top is more of a hassle to put up and down. If the weather is good and you want to go topless, simply undo the side bows from the door surrounds, the straps over the B pillar and rear and remove the Trektop NX completely. Wear lots of sunscreen.
Understood. I only wanted to point it out because he had asked for advice on the Supertop.
As to the frame, I had the OE soft top on my TJ, and I never minded the frame. I also never minded not following their instructions: I popped my side windows off the body, undid the zippers and folded them iver on to the top. Then I folded the whole frame and top into the rear. Not the best trearment of the windows, but in 8 years never cracked one.
As to the view, when I folded it down as described above it was no higher than the top of my spare tire.
I much prefer folding it down to removing it. Weather changes from hot to cold fast up here, not to mention the rain. It's nice to tale a 300 mile ride and fold it up and down as needed

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 JK Sport tweaked a bit.
297 Posts
I did not realize myself when I bought my trektop nx that it lacked the full convertible feature. I am an idiot, and have regretted the purchase for that reason only as the quality and sunrider features are excellent.
When I bought the TrekTop NX, I was living in SoCal. Manually removing and putting back on when needed was not an issue as the weather was predictable. Now that I am in Florida, again, I want something that I can get up and down relatively quick due to the unpredictable thunderstorms. I'd go topless all the time if I could, in SoCal, I had my top off probably 8 months out of the year.

Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I bought the TrekTop NX, I was living in SoCal. Manually removing and putting back on when needed was not an issue as the weather was predictable. Now that I am in Florida, again, I want something that I can get up and down relatively quick due to the unpredictable thunderstorms. I'd go topless all the time if I could, in SoCal, I had my top off probably 8 months out of the year.

Appreciate the feedback.
The OEM tops, from what I understand, are pretty quick to put up and down. I just now ordered the premium top from justforjeeps. It was cheaper than from most sources, and a little higher than a few. BUT, the standard shipping was only $10.63. That’s at least a few hundred less than anyone else I found. All told, it cost me $1698.13.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
I can have the Sunrider closed before you can get the OEM or Supertop (very similar design) halfway up. Granted, there is a section of top over the back seat, but since I have only had one person back there in over 6y years of ownership, it's not a bad issue.

That is one thing I love about the Trektop, it is almost topless, yet I can have the Sunrider closed in less than 30 seconds from the time I stop the Jeep. I won't get the three windows in any faster than you do on the full framed top.

If you take the top completely off, then you will need a sunshade or lots of sunscreen. I just close the Sunrider.

3001 - 3020 of 3035 Posts