Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 3035 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Thanks to dallasjku for posting this video in another thread!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=14NIoTi_n1g
Great demo.

I've actually found it easier if you hook the front latches into the frontman loops, but don't pull them shut until AFTER you've installed the rear and side windows. It allows a bit more play and makes zipping them easier.

Then pull the latches closed.

If you install the windows before setting the hooks, you're in for a real challenge getting the hooks to the frontman loops becomes nearly impossible.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks, nuke! I'm sure everyone will benefit from your critique of his process! :)

You may wind up the recipient of more than a few PMs when I try to open/close my top the first time. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is a great post.

I just got the Quadratech summer top combo that was posted. Need to wait for warmer weather to install it, but I'm looking forward to the openness. I'm glad you mentioned the option of not cutting into the padding. I'm hesistant to do that since my Jeep is brand new, so I'll see how that works out. Planning on trying to waterproof the fabric with a good sealer too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is a great post. I just got the Quadratech summer top combo that was posted. Need to wait for warmer weather to install it, but I'm looking forward to the openness. I'm glad you mentioned the option of not cutting into the padding. I'm hesistant to do that since my Jeep is brand new, so I'll see how that works out. Planning on trying to waterproof the fabric with a good sealer too.
I was looking at that top before as well. Was wondering how it would perform in the rain so I could run it permanently in the spring/summer

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for the info in this thread! I think it even made me more confused than ever in some ways. :lmao:

I ordered my 2014 JK with a hard top (I live in the frozen tundra it seems) and decided I would like the Trektop NZ. But someone mentioned that the windows are stiff, and won't roll to store in the Jeep when I'm on the road. Is that always true, or is there a way around it?

I actually prefer the OEM sunrider premium top, if it folds back easily but I didn't order it with my Jeep. I'm probably one of the few that doesn't like the look of the frame-less slanted back, but the price on the TrekTop is pretty good and I won't have to deal with the frame off and on. But we get rain coming up often where I live, and I have to have the windows with me for times like that, plus I go out to my cottage several times a week and don't want to mess with not being able to keep my windows with me in case of a quick rain.

Argggh! So now I'm once again going back and forth!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Are the OEM premium and Black Twill Supertop NX more or less the same? I believe Bestop makes the OEM tops so I am assuming one equals the other? Any advantages one over the other?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Are the OEM premium and Black Twill Supertop NX more or less the same? I believe Bestop makes the OEM tops so I am assuming one equals the other? Any advantages one over the other?
Yup, they are pretty much the same....and yes, Bestop makes the OEM top. When you order dual tops, the boxes with the hardware say Bestop on them.

Advantages? Really only big one for the OEM top.....it already comes put together.

There is more work involved in terms of putting the Supertop NX together. If you buy a take-off top, you don't have to deal with trying to screw the sailcover (cloth) to the frame and stuff.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Yup, they are pretty much the same....and yes, Bestop makes the OEM top. When you order dual tops, the boxes with the hardware say Bestop on them.

Advantages? Really only big one for the OEM top.....it already comes put together.

There is more work involved in terms of putting the Supertop NX together. If you buy a take-off top, you don't have to deal with trying to screw the sailcover (cloth) to the frame and stuff.
Hey Mark...

You know more about the tops than I do. Does the NX have the spring assist like the OEM Premium top? That would be another big factor I could see in people's decision making. Or does that even matter with the way the NX folds?

Thanks! :flowers:

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Hey Mark...

You know more about the tops than I do. Does the NX have the spring assist like the OEM Premium top? That would be another big factor I could see in people's decision making. Or does that even matter with the way the NX folds?

Thanks! :flowers:
That is a good question.

But we have to differentiate between the tops.

There is:
Trektop
Trektop NX
Trektop NX Twill

Supertop
Supertop NX
Supertop NX Twill

The Trektop is the "slant back" version, while the Supertop is the OEM version.

None of the Trektop top models have spring assist.

I'm not quite sure about the Supertop models. I've seen a lot of conflicting info on them. I don't think they do based on the their instructions, (they are missing the spring unit), but that could have changed.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
That is a good question.

But we have to differentiate between the tops.

There is:
Trektop
Trektop NX
Trektop NX Twill

Supertop
Supertop NX
Supertop NX Twill

The Trektop is the "slant back" version, while the Supertop is the OEM version.

None of the Trektop top models have spring assist.

I'm not quite sure about the Supertop models. I've seen a lot of conflicting info on them. I don't think they do based on the their instructions, (they are missing the spring unit), but that could have changed.
Hmm... I wonder if bestop would be forthcoming with that answer if I sent them an email. Or maybe they have a nice comparison they would share...

I think I may try that!

:)

Ugh! Two day lead time for responses... :(

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Good grief...I hate spammers.....and they like this thread.

FYI all...

If you see a post from a new poster with a user name that does not make sense, (Like jghedhxjh), and their post is something small that looks familiar...(they will usually just copy part of an earlier post in the thread), don't quote them.

They have hidden spam links in thier post (it might even be a smiley). You might even notice it if you were to quote them....you will be like "why is that odd URL in hidden in their post?"

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Hmm... I wonder if bestop would be forthcoming with that answer if I sent them an email. Or maybe they have a nice comparison they would share...

I think I may try that!

:)

Ugh! Two day lead time for responses... :(
I tried to look real quick on their site, but I'm at work....and for some reason people kept wanting me to work.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Good grief...I hate spammers.....and they like this thread.

FYI all...

If you see a post from a new poster with a user name that does not make sense, (Like jghedhxjh), and their post is something small that looks familiar...(they will usually just copy part of an earlier post in the thread), don't quote them.

They have hidden spam links in thier post (it might even be a smiley). You might even notice it if you were to quote them....you will be like "why is that odd URL in hidden in their post?"
Thanks for the heads up! I reported one of those jokers yesterday, but couldn't figure out what their deal was!

My bad for replying to them in the first place. This thread was the first place I saw him/her/it, and at first I thought they were just a n00b that didn't know what they were doing. I won't make that mistake again!

Sorry for interrupting you while you're at work. But it should almost be 5:00! Or at least it's 5:00 somewhere! :)

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
^No worries, it is more like work keeps interupting my web surfing!

The spring assist tops have this (on the right):

I'm looking for that in the Supertop instructions....but I don't see it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Thanks for the info in this thread! I think it even made me more confused than ever in some ways. :lmao:

I ordered my 2014 JK with a hard top (I live in the frozen tundra it seems) and decided I would like the Trektop NZ. But someone mentioned that the windows are stiff, and won't roll to store in the Jeep when I'm on the road. Is that always true, or is there a way around it?

I actually prefer the OEM sunrider premium top, if it folds back easily but I didn't order it with my Jeep. I'm probably one of the few that doesn't like the look of the frame-less slanted back, but the price on the TrekTop is pretty good and I won't have to deal with the frame off and on. But we get rain coming up often where I live, and I have to have the windows with me for times like that, plus I go out to my cottage several times a week and don't want to mess with not being able to keep my windows with me in case of a quick rain.

Argggh! So now I'm once again going back and forth!
Here's the deal with the Trektop NX Windows.

The rear window is just like the OEM in that it has no built in frame and will roll up just like the OEM. The side windows are a different story.

Because the Trektop NX is a frameless top, they have reinforcement built into the side windows that provide support where the sides wrap around the roll bar. It's a hard plastic piece that slides into pockets on each window. Unlike the OEM side windows and the rear window, the side windows of the Trektop NX is a triangle shape. So one side of the triangle has the hard plastic support brace. One of the other sides has the hard plastic "L" that fits in teh door channel and holds in the front side of the window. Therein lies the problem with trying to roll the side windows. You could remove the plastic support brace and roll the windows, but it would be cumbersome and then you have two long large plastic pieces to also store with the windows.

That's about the best solution you could hope for if you want to roll the windows. If you don't need use of the cargo area, you can always lay them flat and tie or weight them down. Layer some fleece blankets between each window.

·
Registered
22,899 Posts
I sold my hardtop and im getting the Trektop NX tomorrow. My plan is simple...come spring I'll remove the windows and put them in the basement and run bikini, then come fall put them back on the jeep. I'm pulling the carpet and plugs and dont care if it rains. I'll put the doors back on if it's going to be a long hard rain.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just bought a OEM soft top used with all hardware for 450. Now I just need to wait for the weather to turn here in Maryland!! And need to build a hard top storage cart

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
For those looking at replacement windows:

The rear window in the 2011 was made bigger. Side windows are the same size. So make sure what year the replacement windows are for!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is there a way to know what year your soft top frame is from? Like I said i purchased one used so don't have a box or definitive year that I know of

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Did you see the picture panthermark posted above? That is the spring assist bracket, which is only on 2013-14 jeeps. If you don't have that, it's pre-2013.

There was a window change in 2011 that made the rear window bigger. I am not sure how much bigger it got, but that should help you limit it to 2011 or pre-2011.

41 - 60 of 3035 Posts