Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The zippers on my soft top are a real pain to work with. It took my dad and I nearly 45 minutes to put the top up tonight because nothing wanted to zip. The top was practically unused by the PO and we've only had it fully down a few times. Any thoughts or suggestions to help putting it up go faster/smoother or thoughts on the zipper situation? Thanks so much for any input y'all

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Also try to always put the top back up in the sun. The sun really does a number to heat up soft tops and that makes them stretch alot better.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Amazon has zipper conditioner if you don't want greasy wd40 all over your top. They make some for boat tops that see a lot of harsh salt air.

Also, I found that making sure the spreader bars aren't spread when starting all the zippers makes the job really easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sun and oil...my replacement top from Best Top was amazing compared to the original soft top zippers, like night and day...

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
I think every one above was right but, I don't think I would use WD 40, just messy. I have heard that wax works really well, don't melt it on, just rub the zippers with it.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Taking off and putting the soft top on mine seems ALOT easier if I do it with all the windows on and zipped up, takes myself about 15 minutes average, agree with the previous poster about putting the top on while it's been in the sun and heated up for sure

·
Registered
829 Posts
Definitely do it on a warm sunny day. I use a bar of soap to lube the zippers. Just rub the soap over the teeth and work the zippers a few times, works great for but YMMV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, it was supposed to rain today, so I tried to zip mine up... The zippers ended up separating from the cloth. Plus, it didn't want to move. Looks like it's time to buy a new soft top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts