Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the Michigan winter trash my soft top? Wondering if I should shell out $900 for a used hard top.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Wax the zippers really well clean the top and put some 303 protectant or similar quality stuff. Put some on your windshield frame seal to the last time you have it lowered for the year. When it gets really cold just leave the windows alone. I was in Alaska 6 years. I seen many cracked windows from people opening the back. Don't know if it gets that cold there. Anyway the tops were good to go for the summer when it rolls around if you take care of it. I however do the above before storing mine and rocking the hardtop. Just because I have both. I've seen some look new after a winter. No worries.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,424 Posts
Chicago winters hasn't hurt mine any, but I don't open the rear window either.

Basically, keep it clean, don't abuse the windows and you'll be fine. If you've got a stock soft top, don't let the snow build up to the point that it damages the frame. Aside from that you should be good. The heater will still keep you plenty warm, even with a soft top.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Wax the zippers really well clean the top and put some 303 protectant or similar quality stuff. Put some on your windshield frame seal to the last time you have it lowered for the year. When it gets really cold just leave the windows alone. I was in Alaska 6 years. I seen many cracked windows from people opening the back. Don't know if it gets that cold there. Anyway the tops were good to go for the summer when it rolls around if you take care of it. I however do the above before storing mine and rocking the hardtop. Just because I have both. I've seen some look new after a winter. No worries.
X2 My soft top was fine in the winter but the down side is you can't scrape the windows or even brush them if you don't want to scratch them up. I also bought a hardtop for winter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Winters in NH are nasty and very cold had over 2 feet of snow on my top more times then I can count never any issues just don't play with the zippers when extremely cold.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
After 9 winters here in NJ on my soft top and everything is fine. Just clear the snow off before driving. Use zipper lube now and then. Any camping store has it cheap as compared to the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts