Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my soft top and the front latches are terribly hard to latch closed. What did I do wrong?
Also wind noise front above the windshield is noticeable now the hard top was quiet as any other car, is this normal?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Landsteam NO not Normal the only thing I can think of is the locking pin latches where the sun rider part opens at the joint there is a locking latch pin on both sides about 4-6inches behind that joint if it is not pinned on both sides it will be a real pain to lock down the front latches and you will get NOISE it happened to me once check that 1st and I latch my fronts 1st before I put my sail panels on in the rear before you put your windows in you can pull on your sail panels and put them in place very easy then put in windows .good luck let us know if you find the problem Joe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine started out hard too. It seems to get a little easier every time I put it back up, the top needs to stretch. My wind noise is no problem though, never had been.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Sounds all normal. First few times you put the soft top on, those latches are a beeeotch to get on. They'll listen up soon enough, especially when left in the sun. Wind noise is probably normal too. Enjoy!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Landsteam I just went out and snapped these Pics if these spring loaded pins are not pinned to your soft top rails IT WILL BE HARD TO LATCH just in case you missed these they have to be pinned in place it is easiest to pin these with the sun rider part back for leverage you should be able to see the holes at the bottom of the soft top rails again good luck hope this helps .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Landsteam I just went out and snapped these Pics if these spring loaded pins are not pinned to your soft top rails IT WILL BE HARD TO LATCH just in case you missed these they have to be pinned in place it is easiest to pin these with the sun rider part back for leverage you should be able to see the holes at the bottom of the soft top rails again good luck hope this helps .
Not sure what you mean? Is this the side or the front of the jeep?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wind noise is due to the top not closing correctly on the windshield rubber gasket. I can't try to reseat the top again as it will be to hard go latch. I will try again in a few days maybe the top will stretch.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The wind noise is due to the top not closing correctly on the windshield rubber gasket. I can't try to reseat the top again as it will be to hard go latch. I will try again in a few days maybe the top will stretch.
I'd be willing to bet you could try again. It's been so warm the last few days I don't think stretch is your issue. If you want to, try this. Again assuming you have a JKU. Remove rear side panels. Unclip rear corner Panels. Unhook the front latches. Open sunrider option. Now pull the arms (where they clip into the door surrounds) towards the back. There will be some play and movement. Do both sides. Now go back and close the sunrider portion. If it's any consolation I just put mine up and it's warm enough out. And for some reason I find I have to go through this procedure every time or the top doesn't sit forward enough to seat into the windshield. I think doing this does something with resetting the spring assist. I think that is your issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be willing to bet you could try again. It's been so warm the last few days I don't think stretch is your issue. If you want to, try this. Again assuming you have a JKU. Remove rear side panels. Unclip rear corner Panels. Unhook the front latches. Open sunrider option. Now pull the arms (where they clip into the door surrounds) towards the back. There will be some play and movement. Do both sides. Now go back and close the sunrider portion. If it's any consolation I just put mine up and it's warm enough out. And for some reason I find I have to go through this procedure every time or the top doesn't sit forward enough to seat into the windshield. I think doing this does something with resetting the spring assist. I think that is your issue. Good luck.
Are you referring to the arms that connect to the clips (tabs) that release the top to fully open position?
Also when I close the top it doesn't fall al the way forward I have to pull it to meet the top of the windshield it stops quite a distance up in the air.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Are you referring to the arms that connect to the clips (tabs) that release the top to fully open position?
Also when I close the top it doesn't fall al the way forward I have to pull it to meet the top of the windshield it stops quite a distance up in the air.
Yes they are what I am referring to. Leave the clips latched but tug the arms toward the rear. You'll see, there is play in there.

And mine does the same - not falling forward. To me that's normal and a good thing so the top doesn't go flying shut. Also when I do close the top completely I tend to give a little pressure towards the front while sitting inside. Like I said I have had the problem it seems like you're having. I don't even try to latch the windshield hooks. I immediately open the sunrider part and do the pull back I discussed and it works every time.

Oh one more thing I remember seeing if all this doesn't work. There are flat straps attached to the upper inside of the top. Right above the rear side windows. Just take a look and make sure those aren't twisted.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Is this the very first time and on a new jeep? Mine was super tight, but it stretches. It HAS to be hot outside the first time you put it on. Leave it parked in the sun all day and then try to latch it. If you got it latched, it's probably ok. Go to the dealer and have them check it out. That's what they're there for

·
Registered
615 Posts
This won't help you it's from a JK. From what I see you have a JKU. Different mechanisms.
Well I thought the sun rider attached the same on each model so the JKU does not have the spring loaded clips at the sun rider portion ??????????????????? I DO KNOW that it makes a difference on mine.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Just installed my soft top and the front latches are terribly hard to latch closed. What did I do wrong?
Also wind noise front above the windshield is noticeable now the hard top was quiet as any other car, is this normal?
You can check out this thread for help.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/soft-top-help-563993-23.html

The first couple of times, it will be really hard to latch the top. That is normal...and it willl eventually stretch a bit.

As for wind, the soft top is indeed louder than the hard top, but there is a chance that the rubber seal could be twisted. When latched shut, get out and look at the rubber seal in the channel that runs accross the front of the soft top (where the soft top meets the windshield frame). Make sure that is nice and smooth. About 30% if the time, I'll notice that I have a twist in it....so i just unlatch and relatch.

Make sure the latches are fully extended/opened up on the clamshells...that will give you an extra inch or so of room to latch the top.

Also,
Get in your passanger seat, slide it all the way forward, and raise the back of the seat until is is straight up and down (yes, you will be all snuggled up and close to the dash). Then try to latch the top from that position...you will find it is a lot easier to get the forward leverage you need when you are close to the dash and not leaned back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same issue but my top is off an 08' JKU and my ride is a 2011 JKU Sahara. Everything fits fine but I do have wind noise coming from the center of the top where it lays across the windshield. I believe my header is warped. This is a common problem since they are plastic. Before I latch the front down, the top is lying completely flat across. When I latch them down the middle pushes up just a bit which allows air to come through when driving. I ordered the metal replacement header which is supposed to solve that issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The top got much easier to latch after a few days in the sun.
I manually tucked in the header molding where it should be and now it closes the right way and the wind noise is gone also. I am a happy new JEEP owner now.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Same experience here. It drove me crazy the first couple of times. I had to remove the rear windows to relieve tension so I could latch the front.
After a few uses it now works as advertized.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts