Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying the best top supertop nx from quadratec. I'm buying tonight t should be here on Saturday. The sooner I could install it the better. Theoretically if I got a day that was 50 degrees or higher and sunny could it be installed? How hard/how long would it take to install?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
The hardest part is getting the fabric to stretch. Do you have a garage? You don't have to have one but some people have ran heaters to heat up the garage to make it easlier. If not it will need to sit in the sun an hour or so. What helps is the sunrider feature. The warmer the better. Don't try to zip the windows with the sides set, leave a little slack.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hardest part is getting the fabric to stretch. Do you have a garage? You don't have to have one but some people have ran heaters to heat up the garage to make it easlier. If not it will need to sit in the sun an hour or so. What helps is the sunrider feature. The warmer the better. Don't try to zip the windows with the sides set, leave a little slack.
I do have a garage and was thinking about running a heater in it. The only thing is I don't have any space heaters that are movable (I only have the giant fake fireplace kind). I was thinking about buying a cheap one. So I should let it sit in the sun for an hour and then bring it in the garage or is the sun not needed if the garage is heated. Can you explain what you mean by having the sides set before zipping the Windows? I think I know what you mean but I just wanted clarification.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I installed that same top last year. The installation videos from Bestop are pretty good. It doesn't take long, but you are right to be concerned about heating up the top. Do you have a large glass window that faces the sun that you can hang the top in front of, or on the floor in front of, to soak up that heat?

Even with the top sitting in the sun on a warm sunny day it was tough to get the top stretched to fit everywhere. The back of the side windows were the toughest for me.

Yes, the windows go in last - after you have the top fully stretched fitted in place. A little wax on the zippers before install will help. Honestly, I felt like I was about to break a zipper in many places, but it eventually all pulled into place.

One final thought on heating the top. Get the top installed as much as possible, then fire up the jeep and turn the heater up to full blast. Heat the top from the inside while you pull it into place from the outside.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I do have a garage and was thinking about running a heater in it. The only thing is I don't have any space heaters that are movable (I only have the giant fake fireplace kind). I was thinking about buying a cheap one. So I should let it sit in the sun for an hour and then bring it in the garage or is the sun not needed if the garage is heated. Can you explain what you mean by having the sides set before zipping the Windows? I think I know what you mean but I just wanted clarification.
Top needs to warm so heat up the garage if you can but put it in the sun first. Keep the side windows loose. Then start the zippers on all of the windows and then tuck the Windows around the edge. Then you can zip them up. It gets easier the warmer it is and the more you use the top.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
You could also get some dryer vent tubing and use that to vent the exhaust and then you can run the engine to help warm the garage. Yes I have been that desperate before.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I installed that same top last year. The installation videos from Bestop are pretty good. It doesn't take long, but you are right to be concerned about heating up the top. Do you have a large glass window that faces the sun that you can hang the top in front of, or on the floor in front of, to soak up that heat? Even with the top sitting in the sun on a warm sunny day it was tough to get the top stretched to fit everywhere. The back of the side windows were the toughest for me. Yes, the windows go in last - after you have the top fully stretched fitted in place. A little wax on the zippers before install will help. Honestly, I felt like I was about to break a zipper in many places, but it eventually all pulled into place. One final thought on heating the top. Get the top installed as much as possible, then fire up the jeep and turn the heater up to full blast. Heat the top from the inside while you pull it into place from the outside.
You're last point, heating the top from the inside was a great idea as well as the wax on the zippers. That's something that I didn't think of!

Thanks everyone for your input! If anyone else has any tips I'm all ears!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Wax works well but, I use 10k weight silicon from Hobby Town. It's used for filling diffs on 1/10 and 1/8 scale radio controlled cars. Keeps the zippers buttery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought the trektop nx with sunrider over the summer. Installed it in 70 degree weather and it was extremely difficult alone. I thought I was going to rip the fabric or a seam or something. I recommend heating it up before putting it on. Hair dryer or heat gun. 80+ degrees will be a lot easier.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You're last point, heating the top from the inside was a great idea as well as the wax on the zippers. That's something that I didn't think of!

Thanks everyone for your input! If anyone else has any tips I'm all ears!
I was gonna say...last week it was cold here in Florida (yeah I know but cold is relative when it comes to stretching a top) and I needed to close my back window it was about an inch apart...put a oscillating space heater in the back and let it go for about 20 minutes...worked like a dream

the warmer you can get it and keep it the easier it will be....your hands are gonna hate you

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just installed a Trektop NX this evening. The sun was gone by the time I got my hard top off and the new door surrounds on. I got as much of the cab enclosed as i could and cranked the jeep and ran the heater wide open. After about 20 min I was able to get everything zipped and tucked. It was a bit of a PIA but like you i needed to swap my top asap. If I tore something up by installing it in the cold, I guess i get to try out the 5 year no questions asked warranty I bought from 4wd.com with the top. but hopefully it'll be fine.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After taking everything into consideration, I'm going to buy a heat fan and let it run all day in the garage while I'm at school. I'm going to assemble everything inside and then once the bow assembly is together I will then take to the garage for install on the jeep. Keeping the top in the heat for as long as possible to maximize the stretch and flexibility of the fabric. Thanks again everyone for your input!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts