Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Wrangler.

Soft top leaks in the rear from the top seam. When it rains, you can watch it drip inside. Not kewl!

Anyway, I'm looking for repair options. So far it seems tent sealer is the product of choice. Is there any recommendations on brand or such?

Thx,
J.

·
Registered
571 Posts
2004 Soft Top Problems

I can tell you that I'm livin' the "dream" with you. It's never been right since the beginning. Now it leaks in the back about all the time, the metal ends of the zippers have corroded off the back window (can't remove the rear window at all), and the top has hairline slits that have been cropped up - all because of the harsh winters we have up her in the mountains of western Maryland. Wishin' it wasn't so.

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
If you go the seam sealer route I would go with the Colman brand for tents and use it on the inside of the top as a temp fix. Best way to permanently fix it providing the top is in good enough shape to keep would be to have someone restitch all the seams for you. The thread used is a nylon/rayon thread wrapped with cotton. First time it gets wet the Cotton swells and seals the seam holes. I know. Made boat and convertable tops for 20 years but will have to say the Jeep tops take the most abuse. :whistling:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had a seam come apart so I got some really heavy duty craft glue, glued it, restitched with heavy duty nylon thread and then I used the tent seam sealer on the inside and outside. It is now 100% NOT leaking.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Going thru this now but it leaks on my 6 year olds head poor thing. I have a lady that said she would restitch the whole top for $150.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts