Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I don't have a St on the JKU..but from the experience with our TJ and JK...I would Push the fabric inside the Jeep/ frame as the top is coming down....In my mind everything SHOULD be inside the confines of the Jeep and framework should "rest" on back of rear wheel wells......Good Luck!!

·
Administrator
42,601 Posts
There's not really a pretty way to do it. Basically what I do it just fold and tuck in the canvas so it lays flatter. It's kind of hard to describe but for the most part I have the folds more forward to they lay down into the bed more.

I hated they way it looked so much I bought a toneau cover to cover it up. Unfortunately with my Tuffy lock box, the cover won't fit. Now I have quick disconnects on the support bars so I just remove the entire top and leave it in my garage most of the time.

(I fixed your sideways pics BTW)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to hijack but beastmaster, do you have a link for the disconnects. I never thought of just taking the whole thing off. I like the idea of being able to do that. Thanks and sorry again.

As far as the OP, just keep practicing. Had an 09 and the top laid real flat and neat. My 14 top is completely different. I didn't know it laid against the wheel wells. I think I do it right. Lol

·
Administrator
42,601 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
In addition to what everyone else has posted, I use some bungee cords to wrap the top up when it's down. Helps keep it orderly and allows a gap if I need to open the back/shove stuff in. Not the nicest looking method but it works in a pinch. Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will the quick release will work for my 2011 and is it hard to install? I tried it about 10 more times pulling the top down and got the same result as above. I always prided myself about how neat I would have the top down on my 2008 but this is bothering me as I think I did something wrong and it is going to damage the frame or fly open when I am driving.

·
Administrator
42,601 Posts
If this is for a 13-14 top with spring assist my understanding is this will not work.
If something has changed that would be great.
Will the quick release will work for my 2011 and is it hard to install? I tried it about 10 more times pulling the top down and got the same result as above. I always prided myself about how neat I would have the top down on my 2008 but this is bothering me as I think I did something wrong and it is going to damage the frame or fly open when I am driving.
As far as I know the disconnects will work on every JK made. All you do is replace the 4 end pieces where they connect to the roll bar. You don't have to use the disconnects when you remove your top, it just makes it easier.
Once you have retracted your soft top, the only think keeping it attached to the vehicle are 4 screws at the roll bars. If you buy the quick releases, all you do is replace the plastic end pieces with the releases (they attach to the soft top bows with one screw each). This way you don't have to remove or install screws at the roll bar, you just open the quick release pin.
If you don't want to spend the $30+, just remove the screws.

Here is a link to the instructions that can explain it better than I can: https://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/86562.pdf

·
Registered
63 Posts
Can someone please post a closeup of how they seat their bows when the soft top is all the way down? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to stabilize them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As you pull it down, you have to make the fabric "W" more... Push it in, pull it out... It should fit pretty flat, but you shouldn't have THAT long of fabric hanging there. You probably even have it become like a parachute when driving cuz wind could probably get in their easily. Just keep messing with it. It gets a little difficult sometimes because if everything comes down, its hard to hold it up and "W" it. I'll take pics next time I have the top down, but it's been in the 50's for the past few days lol

PS: I have the Bestop Supertop NX, you clearly don't have that, but you should still be able to make the fabric lay better.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
If this is for a 13-14 top with spring assist my understanding is this will not work. If something has changed that would be great.
As far as I know the disconnects will work on every JK made.[/URL]
Jamb missed correct, these do not work on 13-14 JKU's. The spring assist mechanism completely changed how the bows attach, and now they are bolted through the spring assist mechanism instead of the normal knuckles these replace. You can use them on any year 2 door, and 07-12 4 doors. There have been any new disconnects developed and I don't for see it based on the inability to disassemble the quick disconnects.

·
He's no good to me dead.
1,070 Posts
I have a storage bag that the top can be squeezed into. Keeps the fabric together Linnie the bungees. Zips to itself with holes to fit the bows. Think rugged ridge makes it
Bonus makes packing the soft top away easier if you run a hard top in the winter

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Mine usually looks way worse than that only because I don't care. Never had a problem though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts