Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this. I have a 2018 JK with a Bestop replace a top on 2012 soft top hardware. I’ve always noticed my soft top does not sit completely flush with my door surrounds, but recently discovered why. It appears the plastic hard “seal” comes up short and pushes on the door surround rather than resting in front. Photos below! Anyone have a solution on how to fix this?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Is there a cable on that replacement top that is not connected on front header or rear brace?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I may be wrong but I don’t think that cable is supposed to be visible.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Pics of what you are seeing might help.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Does yours have a tab to pull above top of door. With door open just under roll bar. Sometimes mine catches and have to pull tab again to let it drop which helps fit flush above door and at front.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This happens to mine occasionally only after it’s been all the way down. For me all I have to do is lift up the soft top and lay it down again. Sometimes the straps at the back corners of the softtop get twisted and it creates too much tension. Maybe undo the back and close the front and go back around and put the back into place.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure about bestop, but with the oem soft top I have noticed that the hinge to flip the front cap part back, is actually 2 hinges right next to each other and if they are not exactly in line when you flip the top down, the lid Is not really closed even if you can lock it in place. It looks like almost a Z shape when the hinges are misaligned.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for such the long reply all. Life got busy. Here is a photo of the door surround and tensioning system without the side window on. I think it has to do something about the tolerances of the Bestop on OEM hardware. There is no screw for the wire to go around and unfortunately no adjustment holes that I can mess around with for the spring cable

·
Registered
115 Posts
See the lever to the right of the grab handle where “jeep” is stitched on? If you pull that little flapper level towards you and press down on the softtop a bit above it and let go of the lever, will it click into place? It looks like the pins are not snapping into the hole in that lever, which will make the canopy sit high over the door surround. That happens all the time - it rarely clicks back into place correctly. Have to do the old depress the lever, push top down, let go of lever - done.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
See the lever to the right of the grab handle where “jeep” is stitched on? If you pull that little flapper level towards you and press down on the softtop a bit above it and let go of the lever, will it click into place? It looks like the pins are not snapping into the hole in that lever, which will make the canopy sit high over the door surround.
Just tried with no success. That was a good thought though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts