Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm new here and although not a brand new to Jeep ownership (I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee I lost in a nasty rear end collision), I just purchased a certified used 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara from a local dealer. All is going well with the new Jeep and we love it except for one item. The soft top.

When I first looked at the Jeep on the lot it had, and still has, a black hard top, which is still on the vehicle. It also had a black soft top install and folded down (naturally) since the soft top was on. I use this Jeep for work (and play to have fun with it too) as a I am a freelance photographer. I often carry equipment so I had the dealer remove the soft top from the Jeep and I simply put it in storage in my house. Later I took another look at the top and thought about removing the hard top and putting the soft top on flew a few days after it warmed up here in PA. But I then realized that there were no plastic windows included! So I called the dealer and after some talk and a day or so later he called back to say the no windows came with the top because it was a "bikini top" that didn't use windows. This all sounded fishy to me so I ask another Jeep JK owner about this and after looking at my top he said that this was nonsense. The top has zippers for windows and a tail gate bar used to hold down the rear window. His conclusion was that the previous owner probably still had the windows rolled up in his basement someplace.

Back to the dealer again, and he said that I was probably right and the windows were missing. (at this point I'm not getting a good feeling about this dealership) So I asked him to make an accommodation for me and I would meet him half way on the price for a new set of replacement windows. He came back with a price of about $550!!! I told hime that I talked to a rep at Best Top who gave me a part number (58135-35) and showed me the link on they're web site to contact someone who could sell me the windows because they do not sell direct. She assured me that the windows would fit my top because (according to her) they make the soft tops for Jeep.

The price I got from Quadratec was $266 and other companies including sources on eBay had about the same price. So......I looking for the truth in all of this and hoping to get it here. IMO, the plastic windows should of came with the Jeep or the dealer should had told me that they were missing and not allow me to find that out after the sale. I think the $550 price from the dealer is crazy with the price from Quadratec sounding better but will they indeed fit the top?

So some truth and advice if you please and thanks in advance for it.

Bob

·
Registered
158 Posts
$550 is steep indeed but that's probably them getting them from Mopar. I bought new tinted windows for my 2015 JK and mine was about $250 from Quadratech, so that sounds about right and they should fit your JKU. Quadratech is great to order from and got my stuff to me very fast. Just be sure to read the description of the windows on their site that you are thinking about buying and they should say what they fit. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the JK and JKU soft windows but it should say on their site what they fit.

If you don't care about tinted or clear windows, you can probably find a set of factory clear windows in the for sale forum here or on Craigslist for around $100.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Also, if you don't have the windows, I'm going to guess you don't have the door surrounds, door surround knobs, or brackets for the tailgate bar either. All of those and the windows come in separate boxes in the Jeep when new. Previous owner or dealer pulled them and still has them, or the dealer who the previous owner bought it from forgot to give them the those items and they never knew they were missing. Sounds like that is a possibility based on the fact the top was still in there 2 weeks later when it clearly tells you not to run it like that and remove it once you take it home.

·
Super Moderator
10,667 Posts
It sounds like your Jeep came with the dual top option, as mine did. That's why you had the soft top folded up taking up space in the cargo area.

When you get the dual top option, the soft top comes rolled up in a disposable black vinyl wrap, and you get two additional large boxes: the windows come in a big flat box (to avoid damage); the door surrounds, tailgate seal bar, come in another box. Those two boxes were probably lost since it is a used vehicle.

Either way, you paid a premium for a "Certified" Jeep; the dealer shouldn't have sold you a certified vehicle with missing "factory" pieces.

Aldo

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
If you buy the soft top from BeStop, will it comes with all the brackets and what not, or do they sell that as a separate package? I imagine it would be separate as people just buying a replacement top wouldn't need them.

All indications here is that it's a dual top Jeep missing the stuff that doesn't come attached. There's another thread here about what damage might occur from leaving the soft top in the Jeep after taking delivery. The good news is that nobody seemed to have much in the way of issues over even a few months... but if that soft top has been in there since 2013 it might be a different story.

Before springing for the windows, did you inspect it to ensure the bits you have aren't damaged? You may be better off getting a whole new top.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Sounds like the dealership doesn't know what they're doing or talking about. There has never been a Jeep built that came with a factory bikini top.

Did the sticker or vehicle description say anything about Dual top option? If so, they should provide all of the parts that came from the factory with that option. Their failure to get them from the previous owner before buying the Jeep is not your problem. If they refuse to get you all of the parts necessary for your soft top to be installed properly, tell them they'll be taking the Jeep back and refunding your money due to their false advertising.

Best-Top supplies the factory soft tops, so if you buy a Best-Top top, windows, etc from Quadratec, it will be the same as factory.

As has been said already, you also need the plastic door surrounds otherwise you will not be able to install the windows anyway.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts