Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some input.

I have a 2009 Sahara Unlimited soft top (Aug 08 build, leased to 1st owner Sept 09).

The stitching on the roof around the back windows is dry rotting and has let got completely.

Is almost 7 years average for a soft top or has this one been abused/not cared for correctly?

I've owned it since Dec 2012, spends most time outside and not garageed in Massachusetts, not easy winters but not too terrible either.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'd say that's about right. Fabric doesn't last forever in the elements. Maybe you can get one to last longer by babying it, but I don't think I'd expect much.

·
Registered
319 Posts
There may be some chemicals out there that may help to keep it pliable and prolong it from dry rot, even keeping it out of the sun would help. But from what I've heard from talking to other owners 7-8 years is about their life expectancy.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You might get another year out of it if you buy some 303 fabric gaurd great stuff has UV blockers in it.i just sold my top 2010 original to the jeep and it still looked great.and yes i had some of the stitching on the rear sails starting to come apart.i just picked up a one year old only used last summer premium soft top.and i was very impressed how much nicer and better fitting this top is.search craigslist there's usually someone selling one.but definitely pick up some 303 and use it on your top and start if you get a new one.for pricing guide i paid $600 for a 2dr and sold my 10 for $500 .good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts