Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 Jeep YJ and Ive been looking at soft tops for it. I noticed that most of them do not fit 87s. Does anybody know why??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its probably because the 87 has a different rollcage from the rest. Only on top of the front seats unlike the one that is extended towards the back. I cannot be sure but it will have something to do with that

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm is there any way to fit a different top onto my vehicle come summer time? Or would it be a cj style top?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Any full replacement top with hardware would work. Rampage, Bestop, Pavement Ends, etc. The only extra thing I think you would need is the door retaining channels.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah ok much appreciated I will look into tops and find a food one! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
a bestop is very well made and they will give you everything you need to make it work.
give them a call

·
Vendor
5,676 Posts
It's the way the top fits on it. You have snap styles. Later YJ's had the tuck under system.
The only extra thing I think you would need is the door retaining channels.
These two points are exactly right, I'm just repeating them for emphasis. You cna buy a top for an 88-later YJ and fit it on your 87. The 87 has snaps around the doors, but the tops will have the wrap-around. So you'll need retaining channels, which we can get for you.

a bestop is very well made and they will give you everything you need to make it work.
give them a call
give them a call
This is so brilliant I'm repeating it twice for emphasis.
(shameless, huh?)

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah ok I was so confused cause they all said 88 to whenever. I thought the Jeep gods hated me :( lol. How much extra for retaining channels? I am saving up now to get later but wanna find the one I want so I know how much to save. I got a lot of engine work ahead of me before I get the top lol. Maybe even a lift kit for a little extra :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
For what its worth...Go with Bestop. Great service and a top notch top.
I like their hardware as well.
Just my .02

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I'm looking at the supertop I really like it. If I get it with the doors I just take mine off don't I? I have black with a spice top now and spice interior. I don't know if I should keep it spice or get black lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 87 yj as well, and just got a best top soft top from craigslist, and it fits perfect. The guy I got it from has a 91 yj.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Man if I was in the United States I would be at the salvage yard to find these little parts. New is good but with a little spray paint it will look as good as new. I am originaly from Virginia and the salvage yards are the best. for the hard to find items. Here in Germany JEEPS are NOT in salvage yards.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I'm gonna call around maybe I can score an engine and ax15 :). Mine is a daily driver and is having some problems :( but can't pull engine either...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts