Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken the 2013 soft top completely off (to put the hard top back on)? I did this over the weekend. The first thing you're supposed to do is use an attached strap and snap it onto the pivot bar to keep tension on the spring. I could NOT for the life of me figure out where this was supposed to snap on to. The small piece of directions that came attached, indicate that its supposed to slide into something, but the picture sucked and I couldn't tell what they were trying to tell me. The owners manual is where they used the word "snap". The pictures there didn't offer any help either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

:banghead:

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
It took me a while to figure this one out on mine...I'll try to explain it best I can, worst case I'll take a picture of it when I get home. The snap is only for storing the strap when you're using the top in the summer. It snaps onto the frame up by the header area. The loop in the strap should slide over and hook onto a tab on the bracket that bolts to the header. It's between the 2 bows, to hold the thing from springing open. I will say this strap is essential because as soon as I un hooked the bracket form the roll bar bracket it popped forward until the strap was fully tensioned. Based on this I would NOT remove the top without these in place, it might be quite a show. I'll take some pictures of mine hanging on the wall tonight.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It took me a while to figure this one out on mine...I'll try to explain it best I can, worst case I'll take a picture of it when I get home. The snap is only for storing the strap when you're using the top in the summer. It snaps onto the frame up by the header area. The loop in the strap should slide over and hook onto a tab on the bracket that bolts to the header. It's between the 2 bows, to hold the thing from springing open. I will say this strap is essential because as soon as I un hooked the bracket form the roll bar bracket it popped forward until the strap was fully tensioned. Based on this I would NOT remove the top without these in place, it might be quite a show. I'll take some pictures of mine hanging on the wall tonight.
Yeah, I stayed for "the show", but got it off. I think I understand about the tab, but I just couldn't get my fingers in there. Plus the width of the bracket piece seemed too thick compared to the gap between the strap and the snap. I should have paid more attention at the dealership when we put the soft top on for the first time.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I was never able to figure out where those straps went and took the top off with them loose. My spring also popped back but I did have the velcro straps around everything to keep it closed up. It might be interesting putting the top back on.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Great suggestion but people don't know the difference between the words, "removing", "lowering" "taking down" etc. All of the ones I could find were just lowering the soft top- not removing it. At least we know the difference here the forum! As my daughter would say, "NEWBS" In the Air Force, we called new people JEEPS- Just Enough Education to Pass.... I give these people a FAIL!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Here's a couple pic I got of mine hanging on the wall:

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a couple pic I got of mine hanging on the wall:
Thanks man, If I could hire a cameraman, I'd consider videotaping my wife and I trying to retroactively securing this strap. That spring has a LOT of tension. It will be interesting if I can hold it closed and have her slide it over the bracket. I'm already thinking that we'll be laughing too much to get it done.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Juancho said:
Any better pic..?? Like open pic showing the whole soft top..?? I will appreciate that... ;-)
Sorry, top is put away for the winter, no open pics until spring.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Juancho said:
no worries... I put it away as well... I just wanted to see how did you storage it.... :thumb:
Ah, that makes more sense, slow night for me :). I'll get one tomorrow when I move the Jeep, it's in the way right now.

·
Registered
806 Posts
going to see if my buddy will come help me take my soft top off and put the hard top on this weekend. If so I will take pictures.
Rob ....

·
Registered
848 Posts
$40k for a vehicle and Chrysler can't be bothered to put videos up on a Youtube jeep channel to show people how to install and remove tops, doors and other jeep related things that people would like to see. FAIL. Give us your money, now be gone because you bother me kid.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
j0nx said:
$40k for a vehicle and Chrysler can't be bothered to put videos up on a Youtube jeep channel to show people how to install and remove tops, doors and other jeep related things that people would like to see. FAIL. Give us your money, now be gone because you bother me kid.
Aren't those on the DVD that came with your Jeep? I hadn't looked because this is JK number 2 and Jeep number 8 and I know my way around them, but my understanding is there is a whole section on the DVD if videos covering top removal/install and various other topics like how to use the 4WD.

·
Registered
898 Posts
That pic helped a lot. I was trying to use that snap thing and not the loop. It will be interesting to get it connected now that the spring has sprung.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
BadOleRoss said:
That pic helped a lot. I was trying to use that snap thing and not the loop. It will be interesting to get it connected now that the spring has sprung.
No problem...I spent 5 minutes figuring it out until I looked over at the other one and it was already connected since it was still a new dual top, so then I figured it out.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Juancho said:
no worries... I put it away as well... I just wanted to see how did you storage it.... :thumb:
I hang it folded up using a couple of the garage wall hangers. Did this for my LJ and JK #1, worked for both.

Here you go:

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to make my own basket using three ClosetMaid wire shelves (4'x16") and put my soft top on that and hang it using my existing Lange hoist. I have the unit already assembled, but I need to tweak it slightly before I post a picture. Everyone's wall mounts look awesome, but I figured why use up more wall space when I'll have the hoist doing nothing all winter.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts