Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum so I will try to be specific :)
I am planning on removing my soft top this weekend and putting on the hard top.
1) Can one person do it?
2) What size torx screw do I need? (It is a torx screw right?)
3) Any miscellaneous tips??
I have a '99 TJ.
Thanks in advance for the help!! :D

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Putting the hard top on without help may be a problem unless its on a hoist.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am new to the forum so I will try to be specific :)
I am planning on removing my soft top this weekend and putting on the hard top.
1) Can one person do it?
2) What size torx screw do I need? (It is a torx screw right?)
3) Any miscellaneous tips??
I have a '99 TJ.
Thanks in advance for the help!! :D
I put my hard top on a few weeks ago. basically all you do with the soft top is take off the windows, fold it down as you normally would and unscrew it in the two spots attached to the roll cage on both sides behind the seat. I believe it is an allen wrench though. if you've never taken it off the screws may be stripped i think this is pretty common as it is what happened to me. they are self tightening screws.

as for the hard top there is no way you can get it on alone it is pretty heavy. and be sure not to tighten the bolts too tight when you put this on, as you will crack the fiberglass if you do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips, guys. I got three of the screws out, but the fourth one just spins and will not come out. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Rustydog said:
Thanks for the tips, guys. I got three of the screws out, but the fourth one just spins and will not come out. Any suggestions?
That means its stripped. There should be another screw below that for a flat screwdriver if I'm not mistaken. Then you will be left with these danglers like me. You will prob have to drill a hole through the screw to remove it. I'm waiting til next season though.

Tree Automotive exterior Window Grass House

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I got it off. Think I might've broke it though. Haha. That top needed to be replaced anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts