Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

soft top roof rack construction

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  wyobow 
#1 ·
Hi, i am trying to make a simple roof rack for a canoe.

I wanted to make it simple / easy to take off.

Kayak Rack for a Soft Top - JeepForum.com
like the one divinitous posted on this thread (half way down)

Can anyone recommend front window bars that i can use for the front of the rack?

If its possible a bar that can easily be removed with a pin.

THis way the canoe will lay across the front window frame and be supported by a "T" shaped bar coming up from the Tow bracket mount. Just as in the photo posted by Divinitous.

All the front window bars i seem to find are either for lights, or are time consuming to remove.

Thanks

#2 ·
If you are handy with tools, you could make a window bar pretty easily that would be strong enough to handle a kayak or a canoe. Using windshield light brackets, you could pick up some light tubing, bend it with a wood jig and make some pins out of bolts that you could secure the tubing to with a pin. Basically the light brackets would stay in place with a bolt mounted through the hole. Drill a hole through the bolt and the tubing and slip a pin through it to hold it in place when you are using it. It would be easy to take off and really wouldn't be too difficult to make.

If you need to buy something already made, I don't know of any light bars that are easy to remove with out un-bolting them. Another option would be just to lay it across the window frame with foam bumpers to protect the window frame. The window frame is plenty strong to handle the weight of a kayak. Just use a rope or tie down from the front bumper to secure it. Just some ideas. Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

my main concern about laying it over the window frame with some sort of foam mat would be destroying the soft top. I know the mat would help but wouldnt constant shaking vibration be very bad for the soft top? as in, it could slowly cut through the tarp due to the rubbing?

also do you have any suggestions for the brackets? all i can find is stuff like this: http://www.amazon.com/KC-7311-1997-2006-Wrangler-Windshield/dp/B0007P2W6I

I would love for there to be just a flat mount that could be bolted to, or a wide circular insert into which a pole / tube can be put into.

#4 ·
Yes. Those are the kind of brackets I would use. There are several manufacturers of them. I believe Rugged Ridge makes them (like these) and they might be a little less expensive. All you would need is a heavy bolt for each side to mount upside down in the bracket (so the threaded end of the bolt sticks up) with a nut to hold it in place. Then pick up some 3/4" .065 wall DOM tubing. The tubing can be bent relatively easily with a propane torch, some sand and a wood "mandrel" to bend the curves you want.

A foam block like this might lift the kayak high enough if you wanted to rest it on the window frame. I agree that if the kayak is rubbing on the top, it will wear through eventually and probably rather quickly. You might be able to find some foam locally that you can shape to fit your kayak and make it stand a little higher so that there isn't any chance it will rub.

The window frame idea would probably be more versatile in the long run, but with the adjustable ladder rack supporting the kayak at the back of your jeep, I think the foam block would be simpler and definitely easier to get out of the way when you weren't using it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.