Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a three year old Bestop replace a top soft top that the seam has started to unravel. It is the seam on the pas side that connects one part of the zipper for the side window to the main top. I think it has a plastic strip that goes between the zipper and the main top. I was wondering if anyone has tried to sew the seam, or would it be best to take it to an upholstery shop and let them sew it?

Thanks,
Mel

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I would take it to an upholstery shop. Look at your other seams as well. Might be time to get a new top.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I used to take my YJ aftermarket top to a local shoe repair shop. Those old italians know how to mend cheaply.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darn it! if you were closer I would sew it up for you in a flash, I have been sewing canvas products for years & just made a rear cover for hub's rzr.
Move to Moab? :D
I would not mind a trip out but I would have to build a whole new Jeep. Hmmmm thats not a bad plan!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I started with a sewing awl you can get from a craft store or marine store. Just make sure you use non cotton thread. It takes some time and effort but is not very difficult. They come with instructions. I recently visited a vehicle shop that does a lot of custom work and was told they could do both sides, driver and passenger the lenth of the top for $120.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was also looking at the curved needle for leather. Its longer so it might be a little better. I saw where you could buy a "leather needle and sewing foot" for a reg sewing machine. I might just try that. If I ever need to do it again I will have all the stuff.

·
Registered
413 Posts
That would probably work too. I just used the awl with the top in place on the jeep.
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Back window's zipper blew out on mine, and I took it to a boat upholstry shop and they fixed it nicely.
I have the same problem . My top is very good but the zipper in the back window is shot . I think someone trided to get in that way ??
I really like to take the back window out in the summer but I,m thinking I would never get it back in ??

If you don,t mind How much did it cost

BANGER

1 - 14 of 14 Posts