Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo...I'm almost embarrassed to admit this. We are on our 3rd JK. It is the 2nd one we've have the dual top option. So, we just bought a hoist and was able to take off the hard top and installed my soft top. I have always been disappointed with the fitting of the side windows around the door frame. I recalled from my previous soft top on my 2014, that I had trouble with that edge staying put. The side windows would start to come undone on the interstate, right by where it sits against the door frame! Well, to my irritation, I thought this new 2017 of mine was the same way! What the heck!?! So, I had the soft top down this weekend, and went to put it back up for the work week. The hubs and I were talking again about how it was such a crappy design around those windows. All of a sudden, my husband was like....hey, what are these tracks in the plastic frame pieces? Is this were the side window is supposed to attach? Low and behold.... I guess those Jeep engineers are pretty smart after all! I can't believe I rocked my 2014 all wrong the whole time I owned it! Duh! Am I the only one that took forever to figure this out?!?! In my defense, I don't feel like any instructions or videos I have watched state this specifically. ::facepalm::

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Very common. Since I purchased my Jeep with just the soft top only, I knew how to re-attach everything properly. But I have read that many sales peoples simply never tucked those corners in while demonstrating to new customers.

I also have my own way of putting up the soft-top without assistance and it's easy if you don't mind standing one foot on top of rear tire, other on factory bumper. It literally takes me ~5 minutes to have it up and all windows installed. The only pain in the butt can be the rear window if the zipper does not line up. Keep those zippers lubed, makes it much easier

Early on, when I first put the top up, I would forcefully throw it up and the front latches would just snap in place. Easy-peasy, right. Well this worked until I broke the bow knuckles on a mid-40 degree day. Luckily my dealership replaced under warranty.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I have a post about a year back specifically about this. I put the soft top on and was venting about some serious leaking when driving in the rain. Every time I put the windows back in now I laugh to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
It definitely took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure that out myself, and even then I actually googled it because I KNEW it couldn't be that bad of a design. In my defense, my '10 JKUR is the first jeep I've owned in 10 years and even that one was a '79 CJ7.

SRM,
I put my soft top up by myself all the time. I stand on the back seat, reach over the rollbar, grab on one side of the front of the top to lift it up (just so the frame points up) then grab the other side and pull it all up. Then I slide the latches in. I used to just slam it up too but I knew my luck and knew I had to find a easier (for me and on the top) way of doing it.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
If that is the biggest "oops" you make, consider yourself lucky. Glad you got it figured out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You're not alone!

The first time I put the soft top on my 2008 JK I had the exact same reaction. After a week I brought it to the dealer to complain and got a call saying they couldn't find the problem. When I arrived to pick it up everything was nice and tight and I quietly hopped in the Jeep and drove away whistling the "nothing to see here" tune. :rofl:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very common. Since I purchased my Jeep with just the soft top only, I knew how to re-attach everything properly. But I have read that many sales peoples simply never tucked those corners in while demonstrating to new customers.

I also have my own way of putting up the soft-top without assistance and it's easy if you don't mind standing one foot on top of rear tire, other on factory bumper. It literally takes me ~5 minutes to have it up and all windows installed. The only pain in the butt can be the rear window if the zipper does not line up. Keep those zippers lubed, makes it much easier

Early on, when I first put the top up, I would forcefully throw it up and the front latches would just snap in place. Easy-peasy, right. Well this worked until I broke the bow knuckles on a mid-40 degree day. Luckily my dealership replaced under warranty.
What do you use to lube the zippers?

·
Registered
30 Posts
This reminds me of when I bought my 2012 JKU. We bought it in Feb with the dual top and hadn't installed the soft top yet. In March we went to Hawaii and rented a similar JKU. We put the soft top down on the rental and went sight seeing all day. Nighttime fell and the temp dropped from about 80 to about 50. I went to put the soft top up and the buckles wouldn't reach the pillar!! I was like, did I break something?? We were 60 mins from the hotel on the other side of the big island. Spent 30 mins trying to figure it out with the wife and then resolved to drive home with the heater full blast freezing out butts off, lol. Once we got to the hotel under the lights I figured out you have to extend the buckle AWAY from the pillar to get the hook to reach and THEN buckle it, lmao. Head slapper!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had the same problem with the buckles when I first put the top back (what the... how could this not reach..). Finally figured that one out but still have to think about it for a minute. As far as the side windows, I was struggling a bit putting them back on when somehow I accidentally pushed it in the groove a little bit and I had the 'Aha' moment. Still a learning experience.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Ive heard others use this, but I would like to know if there is any other option. Or, what do people think of this?

MOPAR Soft Top Zipper Cleaner and Lubricant 2 Oz. Bottle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I use a black crayon to rub wax into the zippers. If things got really sticky, there's always graphite lube to clean it out as step #1 before hitting it with the crayon. Just enough give to zip easily, enough grab to make sure it pulls proper, and the wax keeps rust at bay if there's any paint chipping off the metal teeth of the zipper. //Lifehack

O_E

·
Registered
8 Posts
This was a timely post. I picked up my Big Bear last weekend, my first Jeep. You just saved me some head scratching and searching. Thanks!

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I already posted my own embarrassing story, but can I just say thanks for being brave enough to make this thread. lol

For years I just assumed I was the only fool to make this mistake. Now I expect to see STA support groups advertised along with AA and NA. Our motto can be, "You may very well be an idiot, but you can overcome."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts