Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I just bought a soft top for my 2018 JKU jeep from Craigslist. It was from a 2017 JKU Sahara and was used for only a week. I installed it my Jeep today and it was SUPER tight. It took two of us to pull it down (Especially in the back). My question is do these things stretch over time? I have not put the windows in yet, so I am not sure how they will fit. BTW, the temperature was around 78 degrees during the installation.

Thoughts?

Scott

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,055 Posts
Much better that then to loose imo. Yes they will stretch over time especially with more heat on it. I think you'll be ok most likely imo.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I hope so. It literally took one of us pulling down on the entire back end and the other pulling down the corner back ends!

Never did a JKU before.. Very weird feeling. :)

Scott

·
Registered
39 Posts
I decided to put my new top on for the first time in the afternoon one day and ran into the same problem. The longer it took the more frustrated I got and the more like rain it started looking. I finally got it on and buttoned up but it took some work. By the time I put it down and back up for the first time over a week later it was much easier to do and was very easy each time after that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still have not put my windows in. I figure I will let it stretch a little bit and then fight with it more :)

Scott

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,055 Posts
I still have not put my windows in. I figure I will let it stretch a little bit and then fight with it more :)

Scott
I had to use a heat gun on my TJ top to get everything in place. If you use one just don't get the fabric to hot or the gun to close. It really helped however on getting the windows zippered in on my old TJ.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Scott
It does not sound as if you are putting it up quite right. You hook but don't latch the front latches on the header bar. Then you hook the rear sail corners, then install the windows. I always put my rear window in first to get the corners adjusted then the side quarter windows. Then you use the lever action of the latches going over center (they do have lever action) to close the latches.

If when you hook the latches, it is still difficult to hook the sail panels into the corners of the tub, un hook the latches and raise the Sunrider up. Then pull it down to hook (but not latch) the front latches.

Over time two things will occur - the top fabric will stretch a bit and you will learn the tricks of putting it up and down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is my third Jeep, so I'm very familiar with how to put on the top. I know all of those tricks, but thank you anyway. This was just way tighter than the other new softtops I have gotten in the past.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I bought a 2013 10A in 2016 and the seller only had the soft top. A few weeks later I bought a Twill soft top (coincidentally from a 10A) that they said had been mounted for a few days and then taken off and put in storage for 3 years. It looked entirely unused.

It was so tight that I could barely get the thing on. A few weeks mounted and it was easier to take up and down. After a few 90 degree days, it was (and still is) easy to use.

Sounds just like what you're seeing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome... Thanks guys! This is the first time that the Soft Top did not come with the jeep already installed.

Appreciate everyone's input!

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts