Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I want to hear from people who ran their soft top through winter. How bad was it? Cold? Drafty? Damage? Lack of rear defrost? Scraping ice?

I rang a soft top with rear glass and defrost through a couple winters and it seemed to age the top real fast. Otherwise had no issues with the glass and defrost. Would the wrangler soft top perform the same?

I like the soft top and don't really want to buy a hard top if I don't have to.

Thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't scrape the windows as they clear quickly once the heater gets going. During a heavy snow I'll clear the top after 3 inches or so accumulates to keep weight off of it.

The recirculate function of the climate control will pull some cold air in through the various cracks with the vacuum it creates.

I can't tell that the winters have had any adverse effects on the top at all. It's pretty tough.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is my first wrangler here in upstate NY, but a lot of my friends have them and not one sticks with the soft top over the winter. They all have the hard tops, which really makes it into a more livable vehicle when it's in the singe digits. Naturally the ultra cold and snow will also wear the top faster.

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I spent 1 winter with just a soft top in northern New Hampshire. It actually wasn't that bad. I had a few gripes: you don't want to let much snow accumulate on top so if we got 18" in a night I may have to wake up a few times to broom it off the top. Also the back window gets tons of road crap on it. I would just wash it with lots of water at a gas station but not squeegee it to prevent scratches. It's also hard to open when it gets too cold and the zippers get too salty. My biggest problem was that it was hard to load all of my ski gear in it and that's the biggest reason I got a hard top. I was never cold tho even at -25F

·
Registered
394 Posts
I do it in Tahoe, but a garage helps.

Biggest issue for me is the sludgy back window after a few storms. Just not clean back there to deal with the tailgate too.

But I'm good with it. Plenty warm, I don't even have to think about it with the Jeep heater.

·
Registered
275 Posts
No problems here with the record breaking snow we got. I'm hard of hearing so the noise doesn't bother me. I like the connection with the outside the soft top gives me

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Jeep #8 here, going through many, many NJ winters. Jersey and the tri-state can be pretty brutal when it comes to winter my friend. I have had soft doors on most of them as well, along with the soft top. Frankly, there isn't much difference between the soft and hard top when you first get in in the morning on a brutally cold winter day! It's been sitting all night and it is freezing! Warms up pretty fast though...Winter *is* pretty hard on a soft top though. I am always careful not to scrape the plastic windows and scratch them up. I have a jug I fill with very warm water. I bring that out with me when I am ready to go to work. I dump the warm water on each window and the ice/crud are gone quick. Have done it too the windshield too, when it is really bad. Don't want to dump water that is hot on the windsheild or it may crack. Never had it happen to me but....Other then that, I have had no issues with a soft top in the most brutal cold....

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a 2013 with the premium soft top. Record snow in the north east as well as cold. It was no issue at all. Make sure you do not let snow pile up more than a few inches.

It still looks as good as new.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wrangler has to be a great vehicle for warm climates. I am going to get like 3 months if I am lucky. Then ratchet down the hatch and crank the heater.

I am thinking of running the soft top year round... For the cost of hard I will just buy a new soft top in 5 years.

Mopar makes hard tops out of unicorn horns so I understand the price.

·
Registered
374 Posts
This winter was one of the worse ones in recent history here in NJ. I have the regular soft top on mine, and had no issues whatsoever. The heaters in the JK are like small nuclear reactors, and I never got cold while riding inside.

Like it was mentioned before, once the heat comes on, the windows thaw off quickly. I'd go outside to warm up the Jeep, turn on the defrosters and heat, and everything would be peachy when I was ready to go. No damage or anything all winter.

If we were getting heavy snowfall, every couple of inches or so, I'd go outside and brush the snow off the top though. No need to have 8 inches of snow sitting on the soft top if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'd go outside to warm up the Jeep, turn on the defrosters and heat, and everything would be peachy when I was ready to go.
I still don't understand why people feel the need to let a fuel injected jeep "warm up" like we used to have to do with carbs. All your doing is wasting gas and letting carbon build up in the engine. Turn the jeep on a drive for 5 minutes and it will fully heat up itself.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Biggest thing I noticed was the "white" salt residue in the seams, even after repeated warm baths in shop. I have it almost removed now. Have never scraped a window yet and don't plan to so I don't think window damage will b an issue. When it "has" to sit out, I use block heater and it warms up real quick. No real issues with defrosting/ice either. Heat is not an issue either and I like the outdoor noise all year long actually. Would not trade it!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi All, I want to hear from people who ran their soft top through winter. How bad was it? Cold? Drafty? Damage? Lack of rear defrost? Scraping ice? I rang a soft top with rear glass and defrost through a couple winters and it seemed to age the top real fast. Otherwise had no issues with the glass and defrost. Would the wrangler soft top perform the same? I like the soft top and don't really want to buy a hard top if I don't have to. Thanks!
I've had three Wranglers with soft tops and I've lived in northern Michigan and northeast Ohio all of that time. The biggest problem I've had is slush and salt freeIng on the back window. I handle it like a couple of others have: when I get where I'm going, I pour some warm water on it and then carefully wipe it dry with a microfiber cloth or two. No other problems with snow or being too cold inside or things like that.

Make that FREEZING on the back window.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Removing a hard top in the summer is a much greater pain in the ass than dealing with a frosty rear windshield on the soft top during wintertime.

It gets ass-cold in the winter here, but that's what the heater is for. There was never a time when the heater wasn't enough to keep it nice and toasty inside. There were no leaks, and it is not drafty.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
My TJ is 10 years old with over 165K on the clock...came with a ST...works fine...so well that when we got the '12 JK we got ST...and again no issues....had sub zero temps this past winter....did install remote start but other than that...no issue from the ST.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In Connecticut. Stock Rubi soft top. No issue. Of course keeping it garaged helped. But it did collect an inch or two when out during storms. Snow broom worked fine!
As was said here earlier, the crud gets sucked up on the rear window, but it wipes off. Ice doesn't stick too well to a flexible surface -- but don't slap or scrape it.
Heater was always effective..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts