Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got dual tops. took off the hard top and now I'm putting up the soft top for the first time.

I hooked the front latches but this is as far as the back is coming down.

is this normally how far away it should be before putting the back corners in for the first time?

seems way too far and it seems like I'm going to break something pulling on it and it doesn't even get close. I feel like I have to practically hang from it to get it to come down.

what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
570 Posts
EDIT: My advice below is assuming you have the hardware all assembled properly. :)

Do not hook the front latches all the way. Just hook the inner latch to the loop but leave the outer latch all the way open as far as it will go. This will secure it to the front but give as much play as possible to the rear.

Do not put the windows in.

You will need to pull down some on the rear bow to get the sail panels clipped. An extra pair of hands and some patience will help.

It will not all button up and seal the first day. You will need to give it some time to stretch. Warm weather and patience will help.

Once you get the top secured if you can try riding around for a couple days without the windows in to let it stretch. If that's not an option then get the windows on but you wont be able to zip them up all the way so don't force the issue or you could blow out the zipper seam.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Do not hook the front latches all the way. Just hook the inner latch to the loop but leave the outer latch all the way open as far as it will go. This will secure it to the front but give as much play as possible to the rear.

Do not put the windows in.

You will need to pull down some on the rear bow to get the sail panels clipped. An extra pair of hands and some patience will help.

It will not all button up and seal the first day. You will need to give it some time to stretch. Warm weather and patience will help.

Once you get the top secured if you can try riding around for a couple days without the windows in to let it stretch. If that's not an option then get the windows on but you wont be able to zip them up all the way so don't force the issue or you could blow out the zipper seam.
Stellar response. Very informative sounding to me a newb. I don't even have my jeep yet. Replied to subscribe for future visiting.

·
Registered
411 Posts
got dual tops. took off the hard top and now I'm putting up the soft top for the first time.

I hooked the front latches but this is as far as the back is coming down.

is this normally how far away it should be before putting the back corners in for the first time?

seems way too far and it seems like I'm going to break something pulling on it and it doesn't even get close. I feel like I have to practically hang from it to get it to come down.

what am I doing wrong?

i am having issues too.. (dual top option as well).. i couldnt get the front latches to connect to the little bars. the back is fully disconnected. i need like another 1/4" easy to clip the latches. not my first wrangler (in fact, its my 6th)... but my first JKU.

do you click the frame in in the middle section or latch the front first then clidk the frame in the middle?

·
Registered
72 Posts

I usually have to pull down where the red circle is, with one hand, while tucking in the bottom to rail with my other hand. Some times I have to pull down with my full body weight to get the rails to align on the bottom.

Also, I make sure that the middle is clipped before trying to get the hinges latched.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I usually have to pull down where the red circle is, with one hand, while tucking in the bottom to rail with my other hand. Some times I have to pull down with my full body weight to get the rails to align on the bottom.

Also, I make sure that the middle is clipped before trying to get the hinges latched.
Exactly! :thumb:

Make sure your bows are all locked in place. Pull down and latch up. Just make sure you don't have the front header latches all the way locked as I posted before...just the inner latches to the loops.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I got mine figured out.. I had to pull forward (while seated) on the Sunrider bar for the latches to clip on. It's sitting in some nice direct sunlight so it should stretch nicely. Windows will go in later today

·
Registered
93 Posts
Took my soft top down twice and three grown men helped me each time to get it to fit. Once of those times was at the dealer. Guess I got a special soft top. Going to take it down this weekend and hope it stretched enough by now

·
Registered
276 Posts
View attachment 285908

View attachment 285909

I had the same problem and had to push the bow down to move the front forward to then install latches. Once done then someone else pulls the sails in the back.
Now it's time to bake in sun to stretch. I also drive on highway with one window down and air sucks rear windows in to help stretch. It sucks having to work them on but worth it in the end. I have 2012 and did this last year, I picked up a premium top form a person who bought a Rubicon 3 weeks ago. What a good looking top.

·
Registered
910 Posts
It sucks the first time you do it. And it doesn't help if it's just "warm" outside. It needs to be hot. Like upper 80's at least and lots of sun. Otherwise it's really hard to stretch. And one thing I found was when putting on the side windows, they are really tough too. I couldn't zip them by hand, so I attached a dog leash to the zipper and got enough leverage that way. Once you get everything on, leave it on for a while. Let that stuff stretch and settle in good before you take anything off again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts