Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so confused...is the Soft Top the same as the Sunrider on the 2011? I am interested in the Dual Top Package on either a Sport or a Sahara....but want to make certain I can push the top back a little when I don't have the hard top on. And how hard is it to open the soft top (or Sunrider)?

As long as we are on the subject - Sport or Sahara? Mainly commuting 20 miles back and forth, live in the country, golf, dog, husband....beach, fishing.... thanks for any insights!!!

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Yes, it is simply the name of the soft top that comes stock.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hold on a minute!! - the following is from the Jeep website when you do a Build My Own:
=========================================================
Dual Top Group $1,625

Dual Top Group: Freedom Top® 3-piece modular hard top, rear window defroster, rear window wiper / washer, easy-folding soft top.

Includes:
  • Easy-Folding Soft Top
  • Freedom Top® 3-Piece Modular Hard Top
    • Delete Sunrider® Soft Top
    • Freedom Panel Storage Bag
    • Rear Window Defroster
    • Rear Window Wiper / Washer
    • Tinted Rear Quarter and Liftgate Windows
=========================================================

This kind of makes it appear when you do a Dual Top Package, that they delete the Sunrider Soft Top and replace it with an Easy-Folding Soft Top (and I think the Easy-Folding Soft Top is either an all up or all down top).

So, you probably should check with your Dealer to be sure that you will be getting an actual Sunrider Soft Top, if you want to have the option of just being able to open the front part.

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
It is way too confusing. As far as I can see the soft top is also a sunrider top. It has all the same framing and looks identical to the 2010 soft top with sunrider option.

I tried to look it up on our system but it says the same thing.

·
Jeeper
11,415 Posts
Idk, about the '11's but on our '07 the dual top group included the easy fold top, which is NOT the Sunrider..... Sunrider was apparently an upgrade.

And yes, the easy fold is just a regular soft top, it's either up or down, no in between.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Idk, about the '11's but on our '07 the dual top group included the easy fold top, which is NOT the Sunrider..... Sunrider was apparently an upgrade.

And yes, the easy fold is just a regular soft top, it's either up or down, no in between.
If you look at the user guide for the 2011 model on pages 23-26 there are definitely two different soft top styles, the sunrider (4 Steps to lower) and the soft top (7 Steps to lower). So it appears that the dual top option does NOT include the sunrider and the freedom top. Glad you pointed that out. I think I will just opt for the hard top and go aftermarket for the soft myself.

Regards,
Fla2smoker

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2010 Unlimited dual top has both the Freedom Top and the Sunrider -- for sure. Can't speak to the 2 door models.
Hmm now after looking at the OG again it is just showing the two different ways to use the top. 4 steps for the sunrider (pull back the top) and 7 steps to lower the whole top. Thanks for the clarification! Hopefully someone with a 2011 will confirm this as well.

·
Vendor
5,725 Posts
It gets more confusing:
Sunrider is the name Jeep uses for their OE tops.
It is also the name Bestop uses for an aftermarket top.

The Bestop version is basically a Supertop with a hinge in the bows that allows the top to be flipped back.

As far as I know, Jeep only uses one soft top for factory models, all Sunrider.

Sunrider is a trademark of Bestop.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Bestop version is basically a Supertop with a hinge in the bows that allows the top to be flipped back.
That is exactly what my Sunrider Top does. According to the dealer, they started putting these on during the latter half of the 2010 models (which mine is). Personally, I LOVE it!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
It gets more confusing:
Sunrider is the name Jeep uses for their OE tops.
It is also the name Bestop uses for an aftermarket top.

As far as I know, Jeep only uses one soft top for factory models, all Sunrider.

Sunrider is a trademark of Bestop.
Geoff,
That is exactly what is shown in the Users Guide (hinge in the bows that allows the top to be flipped back) and the Sunrider top does have a Registered Trademark symbol in their documentation. So does that mean they are using Bestop for all OEM soft tops? You can see the registered trademark on pages 23, 24 and 25 here: www.jeep.com/download/pdf/ug/2011-Wrangler-UG-1st.pdf

·
Vendor
5,725 Posts
Bestop makes all the Jeep soft tops. We have for 20+ years now.

But Jeep is responsible for marketing/service/support. Which means they needed to come up with a name for their top, and they really liked the name Sunrider. Bestop cheerfully allowed them to use that name (hey, it's our biggest customer by FAR).

The Bestop Aftermarket Sunrider is different than the Jeep factory Sunrider (also made by Bestop). Same basic look, but lots of small differences. Biggest is the door surrounds.

Our new Supertop NX, however, will be almost identical to the factory Sunrider top.

Now you're all really confused!

·
Registered
16 Posts

But Jeep is responsible for marketing/service/support. Which means they needed to come up with a name for their top, and they really liked the name Sunrider. Bestop cheerfully allowed them to use that name (hey, it's our biggest customer by FAR).

The Bestop Aftermarket Sunrider is different than the Jeep factory Sunrider (also made by Bestop). Same basic look, but lots of small differences. Biggest is the door surrounds.

Our new Supertop NX, however, will be almost identical to the factory Sunrider top.

:banghead:
OK so in regards to the OP's question, the dual top option will definitely be a sunrider soft top and not some inferior (well probably still inferior to the real Sunrider) product that doesnt fold back at the bows?

·
Vendor
5,725 Posts
:banghead:
OK so in regards to the OP's question, the dual top option will definitely be a sunrider soft top and not some inferior product that doesnt fold back at the bows?
I don't want to answer any questions. I prefer just to make the situation worse. :firedevil:

Sorry! YES, the dual top option will be a factory Sunrider top, with the "fliptop" option. It will come in heavier sailcloth fabric, and be the best soft top available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't want to answer any questions. I prefer just to make the situation worse. :firedevil:

Sorry! YES, the dual top option will be a factory Sunrider top, with the "fliptop" option. It will come in heavier sailcloth fabric, and be the best soft top available.
Geoff,
Thanks for the clarification... Whew I was getting worried that there was a bad riff and I was poking somewhere that I shouldnt....:):appl:

·
Registered
570 Posts

Geoff, is there a replacement fabric for the Sunrider? 2002 TJ mine got eaten by a mouse while in storage last winter.

·
Vendor
5,725 Posts
Geoff, is there a replacement fabric for the Sunrider? 2002 TJ mine got eaten by a mouse while in storage last winter.
The replacement fabric for a factory Sunrider top is what we call the Replace-A-Top. You have two choices of fabric: regular, and sailcloth. The sailcloth will be the same as factory fabric (or real close for 2002).

If you have an aftermarket Bestop Sunrider, call 800-845-3567 and ask them. Not positive about replacement skins for 2002.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The replacement fabric for a factory Sunrider top is what we call the Replace-A-Top. You have two choices of fabric: regular, and sailcloth. The sailcloth will be the same as factory fabric (or real close for 2002).

If you have an aftermarket Bestop Sunrider, call 800-845-3567 and ask them. Not positive about replacement skins for 2002.
Thank you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.