Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... 13 commando green JKU. Haven't even had it for a month yet when it happened...
My wife calls me in a panic. While driving home from work on the Interstate, the soft top come loose and collapses on itself. The hook at the windshield is completely severed. 1/2 of The frame over the back door is missing. The whole top is bent.

Took it back to the dealership yesterday. They are going to contact Chrysler and see what they can do. I know it's not supposed to fly off like it did, but I think it's a faulty front hook. She drove the same interstate for 2 days with the soft top before it broke.

Not even a month old....

image-3473437728.jpg

image-1633642495.jpg

image-2300530617.jpg

image-1263189850.jpg

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ouch!

Was the top in the open / sunrider position... Or was it completely closed? I've had quite a few convertibles over the years, and I've never seen one pop open on its own.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thankfully, unlike most convertible tops, tops are easy to swap on a Jeep.

Still, it makes you wonder how it cracked in the first place. I would've thought even with one breaking off... The other would hold it down.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
This happened to a friend that didn't latch the pins over the front doors, however his only flew open, not get destroyed like this.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
One side latched, one not?
First thing I thought, too... One side missed the windshield header latch and air got under it.

I partially hook mine with the catch over the windshield header and the latch loose while tucking the sail panels and installing the windows. It has fallen back off the windshield catch while doing that. Would be very easy to "lock" it, while not realizing its not actually hooked on the windshield.

The Sundrider latches are probably the only reason it didn't do that at 30mph. Hope the dealership can cover this for ya!

·
Registered
351 Posts
WOW!... I say that cause I have never seen that before. When mine was new I had put a LOT of force on those latches to get the top latched down and it NEVER dawned on me that the latch could bust up like that. Hope they replace it for you and not shout "owner error". Good luck.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The first month or so my wife had hers she had the top fly open driving down the highway but nothing broke. She was 99% sure it was because she had not latched one side correctly. Her cousin (non Jeep owner) was with her and had latched the passenger side. When it flew open that was the side that let go first. Sounded reasonable to me and nothing like that has happened since.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I latched them both down myself 2 days before this happened. She drove for 2 days along the same route and same weather conditions with not a problem. She never touched the top.

Still waiting on a call back from the dealership.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I am curious on something. When I latch mine down, I do both latches at the same time. I'm curious to know if you latched one at a time? If so, do you normally latch the passenger side first? I can see where doing one at a time could put a lot of extra stress on the header. Inquiring minds want to know:whistling:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I too am glad she is OK, that must have gave the death wobble a run for the money. I am curious if she had the windows down and/or the the back windows off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I closed the drivers side first then the passengers side. Did not close them at the same time.

All windows were in the upright and locked position.

Still waiting on a call back from the dealership. Ill call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got of the phone with the dealership. They are covering it. Parts are being ordered now!!!

Thank you Chrysler!! Thank you Rick Hendrick Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram in Charleston SC. Great place to purchase a Jeep from. Recommend Highly!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got of the phone with the dealership. They are covering it. Parts are being ordered now!!!

Thank you Chrysler!! Thank you Rick Hendrick Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram in Charleston SC. Great place to purchase a Jeep from. Recommend Highly!!!
I just picked a 2011 from them, pretty good in terms of dealerships. Great that they are covering it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
If one latch was not done correctly, I would expect it to be very noticeable on the interstate as one side would probably lift a bit. This looks like a failure of the latch to me through no fault of the OP.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts